ESA Lobbies for Broadband Deployment

The Entertainment Consumers Association (ECA) has been lobbying for Universal Broadband for some time. Now, game publishers’ trade group the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) appears to be moving in that direction as well.

Congress Daily reports that ESA CEO Michael Gallagher sees affordable high-speed Internet access as "connective tissue" that member companies need to weather the widening recession.

It’s not hard to see why. Modern gaming staples such as DLC and online multiplayer require fat pipes. Gallagher elaborated on the issue:

We’re the only form of entertainment online that’s interactive — movies and music are linear. We’re very pleased with the president’s strong embracing of broadband deployment as a high value goal for our country.

The administration and Congress have a huge amount to contribute to make sure that resources are available and make sure that rules of the road encourage investment and give companies and customers access to it at reasonable prices and terms.

Gallagher also dished on piracy and legislative issues.

FULL DISCLOSURE DEPT: The Entertainment Consumers Association is the parent company of GamePolitics.

Kris says:

Wasn’t there something in Obama’s stimulus package designed to get broadband put in place in rural areas?  So…isn’t it already moving in that direction on a federal level?

hellfire7885 says:

I’m all for this, especially if it allows competition.

Back i nthe trailer park I lived in, Comcast had a stranglehold on service. IT was them or dialup and basic cable, meaning they could get away with charging way too much.

E. Zachary Knight says:

What number 2 are you talking about?

AS for competetors, I am all for increased competition in the broadband area. I have only one ISP servicing my local area, but nothing I have read about Wimax will change what I am currently getting from my current ISP. Plus Wimax is liable to be more expensive than what  I am getting now.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

deuxhero says:

How many people have such dififculty with the number 2…

And I am not saying it will be, but for the most part, a 3rd competer in the market is when the consumer wins.

Linkoman says:

I could be wrong but I believe what the Gov’t will do is give money to the independant companies to spread to remote areas as oppsed to attempting to do it themselves.

deuxhero says:

Why do we need the government to do it? Sprint is already set to become a competitor in the high speed internet market (with that new technology they are coming out with soon), and a competing free market will do it FAR better then some shoddy government internet.

The Government can’t even run a school right, it’s a sure thing that they will do PERFECT with internet…