French 5-Year-Old Didn’t Stab Sister Over DS, After All

On Monday we reported on the story of a five-year-old French lad who allegedly stabbed his 10-year-old sister over a Nintendo DS.

We’ve now learned that the initial media reports were false and that it was the children’s mother who actually stabbed her daughter. Long-time GamePolitics reader Soldat Louis offers the update:

In fact, the 10-year-old girl was stabbed, but NOT by her 5-years-old brother. She was stabbed by her mother ! And, of course, it wasn’t because of a Nintendo DS.

According to what I read, the daughter was examined by a surgeon, who said that it was impossible that such a young boy could hurt someone so deeply. Then, the investigators talked to the children, and the daughter told them that she was stabbed by her mother, who finally confessed that she did it. She was apparently upset by the noise made by her children.

Soldat Louis reports that the best (French language) coverage of the incident comes from AFP.

Bennett Beeny says:

Hey, part of the point in sarcasm is subtlety.  You’re SUPPOSED to wonder if it’s serious.  A sarcasm tag would defeat the whole point.

Bennett Beeny says:

My mum always laughed about it.  It was an accident.  She was playing around trying to annoy my grandmother while she was preparing a meal and grandmother, distracted, went to slap her hand away, not realising she still had a carving knife in her hand.  She stabbed my mum in the arm and the knife cut into my mum’s bone.  It must have been hilarious… well, no, not hilarious… what’s the word?  Horrifying, yup that’s it.

My mum used to show me the scar – nasty looking it was, but not all that big – maybe an inch long.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Why should he apologize? It was obvious he was joking. Hell, I noticed that.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

This is probably gonna sound a bit asshole-ish, but what the FUCK are you doing?

Seriously, I put more in that post than just the fucking FacePalm.

BrandonL337 says:

There have always been motherf*ckers, there will always be motherf*ckers, but what we can’t do is let them control our motherf*cking lives. -John Oliver, December 1st, 2008

BrandonL337 says:

You know It woulda been nice if you had put a sarcasm tag in there so as to aviod me making a complete ass of myself. Apologize now

Wolvenmoon says:

All aboard the failboat of shame! Next stop, fail island. Population : Disbarred attorneys, DRM loving executives, and mothers that blame video games for extreme child abuse.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

True, but convincing the people that it is indeed bullshit will be difficult.

I remember wanting to stage an incident with fake bullets (that won’t hurt anyone) for the sake of spiting Miami Jack, but it never happened.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Brandon, have you no sense of humor? Bennett was only joking.

And Bennett, that sucks, what happened to your mom. I hope it hasn’t been affecting her to this day.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

*rolls eyes*

Congratulations, you are blind. Now shut your ass and see beyond the FacePalm, as that was not all I put in that post.

Besides, as I’ve told everyone else, I will stop when the admins/mods tell me to, as I don’t give a single fraction of a rat’s ass what the general population thinks of my opinion, or how I express it, but I do care about what the admins/mods think of it, as if they don’t like how I express my opinions, and I don’t change, they can throw me out, not that they haven’t thought I needed it in the past, what with my old habit of talking about giving JT to Al Qaeda in exchange for them leaving us alone. I stopped that faster than the Enterprise going at Maximum Warp when Dennis threatened me with the BanHammer.

Bennett Beeny says:

Yeah.  Some folks have no sense of humour.  And for the record, I have a 5 year-old daughter and part of the childrearing plan involves not piercing any part of her with knives or scissors.

But my grandma really did stab my mum.  Sometimes weird accidents do happen.

Roh02 says:

who wants to bet she would’ve sued the game business if this hadn’t been found out just helps to prove that the "video games made me do it" excuse is just plain lying.

BrandonL337 says:

What the Fuck is wrong with you, I sure as fucking hell hope you don’t have any kids because if so then I feel sorry for them.

Chuma says:

You know what?  That doesn’t even BEGIN to justify going and getting a knife and stabbing your offspring with it.  Some people just shouldn’t be allowed to breed.

PushDustIn says:

What a crazy turn of events~ I wonder where she got the idea to put the blame on a video game and her 5 year old son…. She might be able to go with the insanity plea…you know; husband left emotionally unstable, blah blah. It’s not right but it’s something that will probably happen.

The kids need to be taken away, and she needs to be jailed. I feel bad for the kids because now they won’t have a father or a mother and may even up living in an orphanage for the rest of their lives…

I knew a Power Ranger game couldn’t be evil it just didn’t fit the usual profile of GTA violence!

MrKlorox says:

See what explosive outbursts are possible when you don’t regularly hit your kids?

But seriously, there are solutions other than violence; as well as violent solutions that aren’t potentially fatal. The mother should learn a few.

Bennett Beeny says:

Hey, kids can be REALLY annoying.  When she was a kid, my mum was stabbed by my grandma one time.  Sometimes kids need a good stabbing.  Heck, as long as it doesn’t cut an artery or hit a major organ the kids get better.  I mean what can be the harm in a little stab?

Stealthguy says:

I understand what you’re saying

I haven’t read about any past misgivings between the two. Thats conjecture, just like that knife to the chest. Atleast it is until it’s been reported.

SbEguy says:

Kalerender says:

There’s been no information pertaining to where the child was stabbed.

In fact if it was a chest wound it would’ve been one of the best places, since most people would typically grab the knife in a reverse grip for a stabbing action downwards onto a smaller person. Since the blade would be vertical, it’s far less likely to touch any major organ, instead leaving a surface scar on the chest.

It’s far more likely (since the child would not sit there waiting for a knife from an angry parent) that stab wounds would be in the arms/hands. As the original article reported ‘she is not in any mortal danger’ it sounds far more likely that the wounds were to the limbs, and that this was an event driven by someone snapping, rather then any malice to the children. If she ‘stabbed’ into the chest, the child would be in intensive care or dead, lung/heart wounds, especially in a child cause severe injuries.

And yes, there should be understanding and sympathy for the whole group of them. What does judgement and persecution get you or them? A bit of self-righteous justification? The ability to feel a bit ‘better’ then a fellow human being? Seeking to understand reasons why and offering sympathy and support for someone, even if your reality may never intersect with them again contributes far more to you and the people you do or will interact with.

"There is no understanding for that. I’ve heard of mothers willing to take a bullet for their kids, donating organs to their kids, and I can support that"

Take what you said, now try to imagine what stressors would send a parent who is obviously trying to do the best she can for her children with a screwed up hand (remember: night shift, other family members to babysit) so far off the deep end that she actually hurts her child.

You can go be outraged. I’d rather feel sympathy for all three of them who just had a screwed up event dumped on top of a probably stressed out life.

anver says:

I read today that the daughter kicked her mother in the stomach, at a scar from a recent operation. So perhaps the stabbing was caused by anger and pain.

I’ll post a link if I can find one in English.

Loudspeaker says:

Vaz and JT will still come to her defense.  Obviously the video games her daughter was playing made her do it…  Not the lack of ear plugs.

"Volume helps to get a point across but sharp teeth are better."

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Stupid mother. No wonder their father left her.

mogbert says:

Kalerender, let me reitterate a point.

She stabbed he daughter in the chest with a knife.

There is no understanding for that. I’ve heard of mothers willing to take a bullet for their kids, donating organs to their kids, and I can support that.

This has nothing to do with videogames. These people here are only slightly miffed at the games being blamed because they were handy and the media would eat it up.

They are outraged that a mother would stab her daughter.

Kalerender says:

Bit of sympathy for the woman. She’s a single mother raising two children (5 year old, very boisterous, my 4 year old son just seems to have no limit to his energy, 10 year old girl, talk about your age difference, lot of conflict there) working night shift, and probably not dealing well with the damage created by an abusive parent in that family.

I’m am an effectively single parent (my wife’s illness can cause her to be bedridden for days when it acts up), and I know how frustrating children can be sometimes.

Yes, what she did is a horrensdous act which will possibly have severe ramifications for the children’s emotional state down the track if not treated properly (no idea about the french health system), but I can’t see it as something done out of malice. Sounds far more like she snapped from stress, and unfortunately almost did the worst thing a parent could do.

Try to tone down the judgement, I know people get worked up over media blaming ‘video game evils’ whenever there’s even a sniff of it related to a story, but people and events like this don’t need judgement and venom, they need understanding and support.

MartyB says:

Didn’t you know?  French investigators all carry Ouija boards as standard equipement.

It’s really usuful, why investigate, when you can just ask the spirit who did it.

Kincyr says:

Why the lady murdered her daughter is beyond me.

read it again:

dead people tell no tales

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

mdo7 says:

My mistake, I was in the hurry in the Morning, so I didn’t read carefully.

Why she stabbed the girl is beyond me?  Hope the mother wasn’t playing too much violent video game .  I hope the French does not have a person equivalent with Jack Thompson.

Kincyr says:

"neuter" is a gender-neutral word.

true. in fact, I always thought the word came from ‘Neutral’

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

Baruch_S says:

No, "neuter" is a gender-neutral word. We just happen to use it when refering to male animals because the male-specific "castrate" sounds too violent.

Bennett Beeny says:

Hey now, my mum was stabbed by HER mum when she was a kid.  Personally, I’m sure my mum was more to blame for the stabbing, as (according to the stories she told) she could be a real terror.

Sometimes kids need a good stabbing.

mdo7 says:

Let’s find out.  Does she have a PC with GTA on it?  Does she have a PS3/Xbox 360 with a GTA game.

(searching her place)

OMG, she does have GTA and she has Manhunt!!!  Therefore, she did kill her children because of GTA, GTA is the devil.

(end sarcasm)

Why the lady murdered her daughter is beyond me.  Is it the game she play or she wasn’t herself.  I wish I was like the guys from Criminal Minds, maybe I could get something out of her.

sirdarkat says:

Awesome just plain Awesome.  I mean I can understand being annoyed the kids wont shut up but to go get a knife stab a child go oh shit the 5 year old did it … well that’s just plain Awesome.  I guess we can be glad she did take the child to a doctor instead of just stiching her up in the basement or something.

Dragoon1376 says:

Well, it’s parenting at its finest.

One hope is that the kids find a new home away from this psychotic mother and aren’t damaged goods when they grow up.

First secure an independent income, then practice virtue. -Greek Proverb

Alevan says:

I think what really angers me the most is that, I think, the mother made it look like the five year old did it. That is disgusting. I thought there was something off about the stabbing story over a Power Ranger game.

Amy Levandoski

koichan says:

It’s simply that blaming games is the new insanity / music / comics books /<whatever> made me do it plea.

Removing youself from the blame and transferring it to a *something* constantly under fire in the media as being a ‘corrupting influence’ (whether that blame was deserved or not is totally irrelevant) is a pretty good (if evil) tactic if you know you’ve done something wrong.

Keith K says:

Assaulting one child with a deadly weapon and blaming it on the other… Unbelievable. I hope she never has a chance to see either of them again. She doesnt deserve to be a parent in my opinion. Obviously her children don’t deserve it either.