India Nearing Completion of First Homegrown Console Game

The first console game developed entirely in India is about to launch, reports Gaming Indians:

Sony had tied up with a bunch of Indian studios to develop games for the PS2… of those, Hyderabad-based Aurono Technologies’ Hanuman game was the farthest along and would be the first Indian PS2 game to hit store shelves…

Aurona’s game, it seems, is finally ready for release. It’s titled Hanuman: Boy Warrior and is pegged as an Action-Adventure game. Targetting the casual PS2 owner, the game is priced at an attractive Rs 499 [US$9.61]. There is still no release date announced, but it should be available around the second half of this month.

Hanuman: Boy Wonder is not only targetted at the Indian market, but also at Indians abroad, and the game may well see a release in other SCEE territories, particularly the UK…

mahuya says:

Want to make yourself a TV star, then log onto where you can upload Your videos, pictures, music, play games online, and can also earn handful of money if your Videos are good.

shamrock says:

i don’t want to be controversial but… US and Canada need the games industry. When I read the part about the lower selling price, I’m thinking once again of offshore. Sending work elsewhere in the world. It’s a much bigger topic I realize, but perhaps the gaming industry will not go in that direction. I don’t see how they can, but the thought of a deflating video game industry looking to cut costs. Well you catch my drift.

My sites Vancover & Wireless Security Camera & GTA5?

Vordus says:

You have to remember that a company has to pay a hefty licencing fee to develop games for a console, so unless the target market is big enough to justify the price, it’s something that smaller companies generally avoid. It wouldn’t surprise me if they have a number of PC game devs, as it’s a lot more cost effective in niche markets.

Liekos says:

Wait, really?  There have been no console games created in India until now?

That’s…kind of shocking really.  With all the tech employees that come from India to the US, I would have thought there would have been some game developed in India well before now.

JustChris says:

Considering the growing demand of software jobs in India over the last decade, it’s about time they had be an in-house game developer company.

However, is the title of the game Boy Warrior or Boy Wonder? That was confusing. Boy Wonder makes me think of Robin.

insanejedi says:

careful for what you wish for, because there is a very good possibility that publishers will then just outsource development to other countries instead of making games domestically.

Zerodash says:

Fantastic- I hope more territories/cultures start making home-grown games.  It would be nice to get some new perspectives on game design.   Hopefully, Sony will take a chance and bring it out in the states, too.

Daria_C says:

I’ve always had a stigma against foreign developed games. (Japan, and the UK excluded of course). Gut who knows. Mabye this will start a indian game boom. ^_^