Malaysian Consumer Advocate on Games: It’s Up To Parents to Prevent “Fat, Violent Kids”

Malaysia’s New Straits Times ran a front page article yesterday which urged parents to monitor the video games that their children play.

Muhammad Sha’ani Abdullah (left), who heads the National Consumer Complaints Centre, said that neither parents nor retailers are taking game ratings seriously enough:

These classifications are given by the producers of the games but when they are sold, traders rarely make it a practice to sell according to the recommended age group. They do not see how serious an impact it can have on children…

It is similar to what happened when junk food and fast food became available to children. We are now seeing many obese children. Similarly, in 20 years, we may have adults who practise the wrong values.

There is no law on video games. Therefore, these ratings must be actively promoted to parents.

The Times also quotes an unnamed consumer advocate:

The onus is on parents. Just as many failed to realise the dangers posed by junk food, today’s parents are also failing to realise the dangers of violent video games and television shows… for video games, it is the parents’ duty to ensure they don’t contain violent content.

Parents must ensure they are not building a generation of fat, violent kids.

Apparently, games sold in the Malaysian market carry ESRB ratings. Complicating the issue of rating enforcement, however, is the wide availability of pirated games in Malaysia.

Via: Nine Over Ten

GrimCW says:

question… has there even been a "video game incited" violent acts commited by a fat person yet?

i thought the accused VG violence cases were done by mostly skinny folk with mental issues and a bad social history.

interesting to see games being compared to fat foods now.

Alex says:

"It is the parents’ duty to ensure they don’t contain violent content."

Correction: It is the parents’ duty to ensure that games don’t contain more violent content than their children should be exposed to. That might seem like a minor distinction but it’s not, because that amount differs from person to person. My mother never let me play Mortal Kombat as a little kid, for fairly obvious reasons, but she let me play a Star Wars third-person shooter when I was six. It contained no blood or graphic violence but as a shooter I’d argue that it was still a "violent" game.

By the time I was twelve she probably would have let me play Mortal Kombat if I really wanted to, because she thought I was mature enough to handle it by then. But I didn’t really like fighting games as a kid anyway. =P

I’m not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I’m not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don’t know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

Anomalous says:

Because politicians over there are a lot less trust-worthy? I dunno, but from the looks of it, it seems like it started from a concerned parent. (consumer association instead of some single issue group) Some time ago, also someone from a consumer group, tried to pull GTA IV off store shelves to no avail.

Arell says:

Well, at least he’s putting the responsibility squarely on the parents’ shoulders, as it should be.  Although, I’m mildly offended that he thinks the games will turn the kids into violent deviants.  Fortunately, in his mind, they’ll be FAT deviants, so it’s not like they’ll have the energy to do much damage.

Michael Chandra says:

Of course you don’t have to maintain the ratings, you could also, I dunno, bother to properly educate them and only pull the games if they prove they’re not listening.

NovaBlack says:

”Just as many failed to realise the dangers posed by junk food”

”Just as many fully realise the dangers posed by junk food but didnt care enough to do something about it’

Anomalous says:

To be honest, I’d rather have obese, violent people than violent but healthy people.

Heck. Shows how much they know. I’ve played loads of shooters, some more violent than others like Half Life (And don’t tell me that low-image-quality gibs don’t count) and Red Faction, way before I was at the recommended age. Nope. Still not kicking any hobos.