Animal Lovers Bite Back at Dog Killing in Call of Duty: World at War

If you’ve played Call of Duty: World at War, you know how nasty those enemy attack dogs can be: They’re fast, vicious and frightening (see video at left).

But a group of students at a Massachusetts high school are upset about the need to shoot dogs in CoD:WaW. They’re taking their protest to Activision Blizzard, which publishes the best-selling game.

Breanna Lucci, who serves as president of the Animal Rights Club at the Academy of Notre Dame in Tyngsboro, said:

Killing dogs as a form of entertainment … over and over again. That’s one of the objects of the game. Parents need to know what they are buying their kids. Killing animals should not be a form of entertainment…

My little 12-pound Pomeranian, Winnie the Pooh, is sitting next to [my brother, who is playing CoD:WaW], and I’m thinking, ‘This looks horrible!’ My brother is a sweetheart. He won’t be killing dogs after playing. But some people might.

Jen Dupras of the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals supports the students’ efforts:

I feel like these video games are dangerous for a lot of reasons. We can all rationalize and say it’s just pretend. Even so, why pretend shooting people and dogs? They really desensitize kids and adults to what that violence signifies.

Via: Lowell Sun

Father Time says:

But that would actually require logic, research and (gulp) REAL WORK.

I don’t tihnk they’re ready for that task.

It almost seems a pattern that they would accuse the new scapegoat of having things in it that were a big stretch of what was actually in it.

Comic books, music, D&D, and pretty much anything else said to inspire kids to be satanists fall under this category.

Father Time says:

I still have the manual for the original TM, although granted I bought the game long after the final PS1 twisted metal and only for completion sake. Anyway teh manual talks about the (grand total of four) types of pedestrians you can kill in the game and it sound saidistic in the descriptions

For example the description of the ice skater says

"Oh Ice Skating! What a lovely sport! Here let me use the front of my car to send you into a double pirouette!"

Then when it gets to the dog it says

"Even WE’RE not THAT sick!!!"

I think it’s because dogs have this ‘sweet and innocent’ aura to them (well those that aren’t attack dogs). Oh well.

For comparisons sake Twisted Metal 2 (the game that got me hooked onto the series) has 8 killable pedestrians, and no animals. It also planned on making Santa Claus one of the killable pedestrians but he was pulled.

Jeramii says:

i’m on that right now…. hahaha. just kidding.

but seriously, think about it! if some kid went and killed a dog. regardless if he has played CoDWaW or not, someone is going to make up bullshit about him going to his friends house and playing it. haha.

Utah- Male- 20- Owner of PS3, Wii, 360.

zel says:

Funny enough as a kid I knew some kids that liked to kill small defenseless animals, I avoided them cause it was pretty sick and mario bros 3 and mike tyson’s punch out with the uForce was much more fun. Odd as it may seem these kids didn’t play any kind of video games. Their parents were too broke to buy anything like that so out of boredom they would maim and kill stray dogs and cats. Far as I can tell video games actually deter real violence because its much easier to play a game and do random stuff in the game than it is to chase down a cat/dog and torture it to death and possibly get caught and in deep trouble.

I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

Joseph4th says:

When I had to touch up the graphic for Command and Conquer for the German version, I had to recolor all the red blood to be black & grey. That is because in the German version all the human units were now cyborgs, and when you killed them they leaked oil instead of blood.  However, I was told it was okay to leave the red blood for the dogs in C&C Red Alert; because German law only says you can’t kill humans in video games.

Glasofruix says:

I’ve seen something about PETA on the tv the other day, a bunch of vegans with only grass in the fridge and no clothes made from animals. Oh, and they were pestering about the use of rabbit fur, well it’s not like we just randomly kill rabbits, normal people also like to eat them…

Glasofruix says:

Grand theft auto = cop and prostitute killing simulator

Call of duty = Dog killinng simulator

Can’t they just try to play these games before saying stupid things?

Rodrigo Ybáñez García says:

Are they that stupid?

It´s people who always had very comfortable lifes and are looking for comfortable goals and accomplishments. They never had struggled with any hard time on their lifes and they think life is just cuddles and rainbows.

People which choose "animal rights" as a cause are generally that kind of people just looking to be in the spotlight because they will quit if that job request them something more extreme.

Videogames are easy targets for these people.

The cynical side of videogames (spanish only): My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship):

Saxy says:

Fine. If they don’t want to kill the dogs, then I’m sure it’s possible to beat the level without killing them. Just not easy.

(watches video)

… never mind.

gamegod25 says:

Exactly, they’re ATTACK dogs! It’s not like you’re just walking down the street and shooting random dogs. These are animals that have been trained to kill and are trying to rip your throat out!

Jeramii says:

it pisses me off everytime people make the assumption that playing violent video games desensitizes you…..  in no way am i, or anyone i know at all less concerned or bother by death, violence, or any horrible things of the sort. bah! the best part is that the people who make the claim never play games, therefor how in the world would they know?

Utah- Male- 20- Owner of PS3, Wii, 360.

Raziel5150 says:

Considering that men in service at that time period were faced with the obstacle of having to take down vicious attack/guard dogs, "Call of Duty:  World at War" is simply depticing that it wasn’t just German/Japanese soldiers that were thrown at them.  I highly doubt that anyone is going to find killing an animal (dog or otherwise) "entertaining" & want to start doing it in real life.  Unless they’re already mentally disturbed, but since killing animals is a sign of much deeper problems (i.e. – potential serial killer), you can’t blame a video game for that.

I wonder what these people would have done w/ that kind of mindset if they were actually in that war or one similiar to it.  What would they do if the enemy released a dog on them whose only intention was to rip their throat out?

the1jeffy says:

I’ve often wondered if there would be a peep of outrage if someone was to make a direct port of "Border Patrol," but replace the original toons with hooded KKK members and Nazi’s.

I doubt it.  It’s OK to hate Nazi’s, even though the main bulk of Nazi soldiers where just young German men with no knowledge of the actions of their leaders.  Or that KKK members are simply uneducated, poor folks that look to an easy scapegoat.

We humans need safe outlets for our violence, and bigots or Nazi’s are safe to revile.  What makes a target socially acceptable?  That answer tells us more about the state of humanity than I think most people are willing to face.  The plain fact is that for a family to function, there must be an outside.  For a town to function there has to be a border.  Humans are simple US vs THEM creatures and we just try to rationalize and intellectualize or religiously ignore that basic fear away, instead of facing it.

Sigh, I am feeling too philosophical today, sorry.

~~All Knowledge is Worth Having~~

nightwng2000 says:

I wonder when someone will come to the defense of the poor, helpless zombie dogs.

Or how about the Lemmings?

And, seriously, there are hunting and fishing games.  Where are the Animal Rights crowds against them?

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 has also updated his MySpace page: Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as

Arell says:

NEWS BULLETON:  "Animal rights wingnuts make noise.  Nobody else actually cares."

I mean, seriously, how much legitimacy can we give their opinion?  "Hmm, what an interesting game about WWII.  Kill a human, kill a human, kill a… OMG!  They just had me kill an attack dog!  Outrage!"

Even more insane is the idea that killing virtual dogs (that are trying to kill your character) is going to make teens want to kill and torture real dogs.  Hell, I hate dogs myself (cat person), but I wouldn’t so much as kick one of them, let alone shoot one.  Offing pretend dogs isn’t going to change that.

axiomatic says:

No REAL dogs were hurt. WTF?!?!?!

I’m all for not being cruel to animals…. but we’re talking about DIGITAL dogs?!?!?!

So these looneys have a problem with us killing DIGITAL dogs yet DIGITAL HUMANS are perfectly "ok" to kill in a game?!?!

How is the air on your planet Animal Lovers? Because it’s obviously not the same air I’m breathing.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Ah, the annoying dog from Duck Hunt. I remember several things showing him getting shot, like a submission on NewGrounds in which you had to choose between two similar characters on which one to shoot, and if you waited long enough, the dog shows up and you can shoot him too.

Most notably, is this strip from "Metroid: Third Derivative" by Reynard, in which Dark Samus blasts the dog, who shows up after she fails to shoot down Samus and Joey, who are escaping in the former’s ship.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Cue an insane statement by PETA, trying to get the game pulled under the assumption that they are protecting animals, in 3, 2, 1…

E. Zachary Knight says:

I remember playing Duck Hunt and always making sure I had at least one bullet left to shoot at the dog. Although he couldn’t actually get hurt, it was still satisfying.

Also, if any remembers the original Twisted Metal, the instruction book listed all the non vehicle characters in the game. There was a hobo that you could kill, a guy in a lawnchair that you could kill, secret agent type people that you could kill and a dog that you could not kill because you were a sick person to want to kill a dog.

I loved that joke.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

SS says:

my crazy friend who’s into animal rights says he doesn’t like killilng dogs in Call of Duty 4 and 5(those are his favorite games).  I asked him if he liked killing humans, and he went silent.

I have been waiting for this story to happen and now i’m appropriatly laughing at it.  Seems funny people get angry over killing of virtual dogs who are attacking you.

Heck when a dog attacks me in real life, if i can’t run i’ll try to hit with a stone.(when i was young and in India, i got bit by a dog,  looking back i should have hit it with a rock.)

sqlrob says:

"They always bring up the "fact" that it desensitizes people to violence. Honestly I still get kinda squeemish seeing real blood, injuries in the real world look a lot different than those in a game so it doesn’t really prepare you for it at all."

Heck, I still cringe at some of the FO3 slo-mo shots and I’ve played it over 100 hours. I’m not even desensitized to game violence, why would I be desensitized to real?

E. Zachary Knight says:

I wonder if these people would just sit there and do nothing to defend themselves if a dog attacked them. Will they honestly say to themselves, "I can’t hurt this dog even though it wants to kill me. It is wrong to hurt this dog."

Are they that stupid?

Also, I guess we can’t kill anything in video games. Where are the alien rights groups? Why are they not attacking video games for glorifying the killing of aliens?

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

sirdarkat says:

I have a simple solution we call the humans … cyborgs they are robots that bleed … we call the dogs … cullons they are alien hybrid robot mineral monsters that look like dogs … they were all teleported back in time to make the whinny people happy.

I also always wondered if a an animal rights person would just stand there and let a dog tear in to them in the name of not shooting it.

Vash-HT says:

They always bring up the "fact" that it desensitizes people to violence. Honestly I still get kinda squeemish seeing real blood, injuries in the real world look a lot different than those in a game so it doesn’t really prepare you for it at all. Her take on the game is wrong, participating in a war is the entertainment of the game, killing dogs is not the object of the entertainment as she puts it. Her argument is full of holes, it really doesn’t make any sense.

EDIT: I jsut wanted to add, what the hell is with these people and always saying like, "Oh my brother/son would never do this but someone else might!" Give me a break, like your brother is so special that he can handle it and no one else can. Everyone else posting in here is right, this game might give some enjoyment to someone who likes killing animals but its not going to make anyone turn into a dog killer.

Geoff says:

Not all environment groups are insane like that, just as how not every animal rights group is crazy like PETA.

But yeah, the left has it’s share of ideological nutjobs just like the right.  Just different topics.

Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cook-book! Little Red Cook-book!

Geoff says:

Hahaha, Postal.  The game designed to piss-off everyone. :)

What about RPGs?  The amount of wildlife you kill for gold is tantamount to genocide.  "Hey look, wolves!  I’m gonna hit’m with my axe."

Geoff says:

If a person derives pleasure from hurting/killing animals, or doing it just for the hell of it, are showing early symptoms of a severe mental disorder.  We’re talking about sociopathic/psychotic disorders here.  So yeah, some people "might" just as some people "might" go on a shooting spree or committ arson.

The similarity between all of these examples isn’t the media they watch, but the fact that they have a diseased mind as the result of a major chemical inbalance and/or do to their upbringing.

Go watch the documentary "The Iceman".  It’s about a mafia hitman and it’s one of the most disturbing things I’ve ever watched.  The complete lack of emotion the guy has for other’s suffering is incredible.  They delve a little into his childhood and find out two things; 1: He first started by torturing animals before moving on to humans and 2: he had a really terrible, abusive childhood.

He was also born in the 50’s or 60’s, so you can’t blame in on media.  There weren’t any video games and both TV and movies were far less violent than today.

nightwng2000 says:

Ya know, the story is filled with so much hypocricy.

First, let’s take the context out, just as she does.

Shooting doggies is bad.

Shooting Humans is acceptable enough for your brother to actually play the game.

Now, let’s add a little context.

Shooting doggies who are attacking your character: bad.

Shooting Humans who are attacking your character: acceptable.

Another bit of context taken out is that shooting the dogs is "entertainment".  Dogs were, and still are, used as a weapon by Humans.  Guard dogs, attack dogs, and so on.  To my knowledge, in the context of the game, you’re shooting at living weapons.  The dogs in the game can and do attack you.  But, from what she is saying, Humans are expendable while dogs are a protected species.

Also, let’s take dogs out of the picture.  While it may not hurt the interactive nature of the game, it does lead to a, very minor though it may be, form of revisionism.  Media takes on any one or more forms.  Educational, Entertainment, and Expression.  As a simulator/game, COD may have a high rating under the Entertainment heading, but it also has some rating under Education in general.  This is what war is like.  This is what people do/have done to one another in war.  So, in a small way, leaving such detail out is a form of revisionism.

This actually reminds me of the issue of noise pollution revolving around more environmentally friendly cars which produce far less noise, making some almost silent.  An organization working with visually impair people complained that silent cars made it hazerdous for visually impaired pedestrians who wanted to cross streets because they couldn’t hear the silent cars.  A few environmentalists who supported the silent cars actually emailed the head of the organizations and said that the visually impaired people were expendable and deserved to die rather than make cars that made even a little noise for the visually impaired people to hear.

NW2K Software

Magic says:

I actually donate to a certain animal charity, I hate animal cruelty and I don’t like killing animals in games – all the way from Wolfenstein 3D, Kingpin, COD4 and the FallOut games all have either wild or attack dogs that target the player.

However, I appreciate that they’re just games. Even then I don’t like killing them, but in-game I quickly get over it as it’s a matter of survival. I put my disgust towards the people who use the animals, much like I would in real life. Dogs used by soldiers are only doing what they’re trained to do.

Quoted from the article: "But some people might." – She’s talking out of her rear and is acting out of paranoia. Enough said.

DarkSaber says:

She should see Postal 2. If she hates the idea of shooting dogs that are attacking you, Id LOVE to see what she thinks of a game where you can go up to a passive dog, pour petrol on it, flick a match at it, urinate on it to put the flames out, then cut off its head with a shovel and play football with it.

EDIT: Oh, and how could I forget, shoving a shotgun barrel up a cats arse and using it as a silencer!

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

MrKlorox says:

They’re highschoolers. Meaning they should shut the fuck up and simply observe for a few more years until they become adults. Only then should they be considered aware enough to be listened to.

asmodai says:

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again…

If these fucking activists can only find issues in games to bitch and moan about, then there are no REAL problems left to fix.

Feminists in Fat Princess

People complaining about racism in RE5.

And now this shit.

Seriously, I don’t have a problem with activists or fighting for a cause, but can you window licking fucktards PLEASE go out and find a real abused dog to help rather than a collection of pixels and textures.

Hell, does shutting the game off lock the "dog" in a windowless box about 5 inches by 3 inches with a couple of metal discs spinning at about 7200 RPM??

GryphonOsiris says:

I noticed that no one has brought up the point that this person references their pomeranian (the canine equivilant of a snobby rat with a static electric bad hair day), when talking about attack dogs in COD:WaW. Now, call me crazy here, but a 10 lb pomeranian seems like the only thing it is a threat to is the food bowl. Compare that to a 60+ lb German Shepard who has been trained to rip a man’s throat out on command. It’s like saying a gold fish is the same as a pirahna.

"The Good, the Bad, and the Videogame" Reviews on the best, worst, and controversial issues of Videogames.

cpu64 says:

Lets see, how many kids are killed or maulled by dogs every year, versus how many kids are going out and killing dogs because of a video game…?

sms_117b says:

Firstly this is a game, it has a age limit on it to, 15+ in the UK, anyone under that age shouldn’t be playing it, anyone over that age shouldn’t and generally isn’t that impressionable.

Secondly, they’re making it historical, dogs attacked you, you killed them or you died!

Thirdly, if a dog attacks me I WILL KILL IT to defend myself, the human instinct to survive cannot be overcome

Fourthly, finally, simply, quit your bitching

Deamian says:

"My brother is a sweetheart. He won’t be killing dogs after playing. But some people might."

True. Thing is, if they’re killing dogs, they probably hated’em before they knew the existence of video-games…

Wimblesaurus says:

But a group of students at a Massachusetts high school.

Credibility is therefore moot, because they are presumably living off their parents and under 20.  This goes for any opinion they might have.  They are not a threat of any kind to the public perception of COD:WAW.

No, Luke, I AM the Walrus

GryphonOsiris says:

Medal of Honor 1 for the PS1.

PumaFau says:

This is why I hate animal fanatics these could be a HUGE war innocent women, children, elderly and the disabled are getting slaugtered but these morons would be more focused with the zoo animals being killed.

mdo7 says:

As a animal right supporters and also a person against animal cruelty.  I find this ridiculous, would anybody tell that dumb bitch that you’re fighting dog because they’re attacking you.  You don’t just stand there letting the dog take a bite of you, you fight back. So this person decide to let the dog bite her and get rabies instead of fighting for your survival.

GrimCW says:

the Mary Ellen room is what it was called.

it was the Mary Ellen Wilson case i think.

i think i botched the details a little, mostly due to common rumor according to that site (as its how the story was often told when i heard it)

but its still a good read as it was animal cruelty prevention folk who saved the girl as opposed to those who cry "think of the children!" all the time.

misinformation of the time :p

i haven’t heard of the story or thought of it since the mid 90’s when i heard of it, and the net wasn’t exactly that big back then, and even that points out how journilism had it wrong too apparently.

but it was the animal cruelty folk who instigated the preventions of cruelty to children movement no less :)

kinda quarky.

Jeramii says:

the RE series has always made me love killing dogs. Nothing is more satisfying than killing those little bastards. Think about it…. haha. (i do hate when they come to attack though, its just the part when they are dead i become happy).

Utah- Male- 20- Owner of PS3, Wii, 360.

Jeramii says:

you took the words right out of my head, seriously i was thinking the same thing! i just wasn’t sure th best way to say it. i applaud your good job! haha.

Utah- Male- 20- Owner of PS3, Wii, 360.

What’s all this crap about how "my little brother/son/daughter/sister/nephew/whatever would never do that, but someone else might" ? "My family is perfect, but everyone elses sucks ass!"

The only person who would play this game and kill a dog for fun is someone who would not play the game and kill a dog for fun. A person with a dangerous mental disorder. Instead of trying to get rid of the MANY MANY MANY things that could theoretically act as triggers, why not work on getting rid of the actual causes?

Seems like a much better method to me…

Shahab says:

Not that anyone will read a comment this far down but:

1. How funny is it that with all the killing of humans in that game the protest is about dogs?

2."He won’t be killing dogs after playing. But some people might." I think we all know what is wrong with that argument.

3.Another day, another attempt at silencing people who’s art, ideas, and voice we don’t understand or find frightening.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

If I may refer you to the post I made in reply to EZK’s statement regarding the Duck Hunt Mutt a few clicks towards the top of the screen, I am sure you will shit many bricks.

TK n Happy Ness says:

Have these idiots play Duck Hunt and see if it’ll change their mind with the dog’s annoying laugh.

When Jack Thompson runs his mouth, does anyone really care what he has to say anymore?

hellfire7885 says:

Lady, if your brother isn’t going to torment animals after playign a video game, odds are very few people, if anyone else will.

Also, killing the dogs isn’t entertaining, however your argument is severalyears too late as you were already able to kill dogsin at least two of the Metal Gear Solid games, but it was never to entertain the palyer, it was a matter of survival. Other options, like bait would be nice though.

Hmm, now that I think about it, in one old WW2 game, you coudl toss a grenade, and a dog would take it back to it’s owner. Where were the animal crulety charges then?

GrimCW says:

ya do know the first child protection laws was derived FROM animal protection laws right?

theres a wing in the humane society where i worked where its dedicated to the girl that was the victim in that case. they had to convince the court to see her basicly as a dog just to get her taken from her abusive parents.

sickening no?

these peoples priorities are messed up, those aren’t just dogs in the game, their trained to kill dogs, even the animal control officers out my way carry some .45 to .50 cal pistols in place of the traditional smaller calibur weapons, and almost always have a shotgun ready if a pitbull is even mentioned.

theres no reasoning with an animal trained to kill, theres no saving them and subduing them is pointless.

its better just to kill’em and get it over with for crying out loud. so if they wanna "think of the animals!" (to totally rip on the children phrase) then think of it as a mercy killing.

bracomadar says:

It’s hard to take anyone serious when they name their dog Winnie the Pooh.  To be honest, I hate when I have to kill dogs in COD, but mainly because it’s hard.  Seriously though, these aren’t dogs just lying around, wagging their tails, licking your hand; these things are trying to kill you in game.  I love dogs and would never want to harm one in real life and I’m sure a lot of gamers feel the same way.  However, if a large dog was attacking me, or someone else, I would do anything to make it stop, even kill it if I had to.  I wouldn’t feel good about it though.  Anyone that wouldn’t do that, well, doesn’t have their moral priorities straight IMO.  What would this girl do if a large dog was attacking her Pomeranian?  Would she sit by and do nothing?  Why aren’t these people protesting the military and police using dogs?  Maybe they do, but I don’t see anything there about them.  They use animals in real life to actually go after people.  They put real animals in harm’s way.  The ones in the video game aren’t real and don’t make me want to harm any real life dog. In fact, I think I’m more against the use of attack dogs now.  Anyone who thinks they make gamers want to harm dogs in real life is prejudice against gamers.  That’s right, they’re prejudice, as in pre-judging, as in the same things that racists, sexists, and bigots do.  I’m sorry, but it seems that they think since we play video games, we lack the brain capacity to differentiate between right and wrong and I’m sick of it.  If she’s really concerned about the safety of her 12 pound Pomeranian, or any other dog, then she doesn’t need to be on the lookout for other people, or gamers.  That 12 pound Pomeranian is probably more likely to get attacked by another dog, or ran over by a car.  Why not go after car drivers?  They kill animals all the time!  Why go after Call of Duty?  It’s not the only game, or the first game to "harm animals".  Why not go after Super Mario Brothers?  Mario killed thousands of turtles by jumping on their backs and crushing them!  Turtles never harmed anyone, well alligator snapping turtles maybe…and Ninja Turtles, but still, that’s no need to go jumping on their backs.  It’s no different than showing a fake dog getting harmed in a movie.  It’s not really entertaining to watch as it is just adding to the realism of the entertainment.  It’s not teaching people to kill animals.  If a kid has been abused by adults, or is born with metal problems, then they might go out here and harm animals.  The kid might play a video game that harms animals too, but that’s what kids do.  Kids play video games.  However, just because I shoot a dog or person in a video game is not going to make me want to shoot one in real life.  I know people would like to simplify the problems we see in the world to a simplified answer that would fix everything, but taking away video games that depict harming animals wouldn’t do anything to stop animal violence.  In fact, animal violence was a lot worse before movies and video games, so maybe they’re actually helping stop it.  If this girl truly feels animals have rights and freedom, then she has no right to "own" one like a slave and needs to give her dog freedom and release Winnie the Pooh back into the 100 Acre Wood.  Born free, as free as the wind blows…

I hope some of the PETA and animal rights people read this, understand, and pass it on that…GAMERS AREN’T KILLING REAL ANIMALS!  If you want to stop animal cruelty, there are plenty of real people out there doing it to real animals.  Every minute you devote to attacking a video game company, or gamers for killing virtual animals, that aren’t real, feel no pain, have no feelings, no emotions, etc…that’s a minute that real animal cruelty goes by unchallenged and real animals suffer.  You’re just standing by and doing nothing!

PSN: bracomadar

Wormdundee says:

Yet another person who has no idea what they’re talking about. But it does confuse me. She says she saw her brother playing WaW and she was upset that she saw him shooting dogs. Now here’s the thing, if she saw him shooting dogs then surely she also saw that there were humans in uniform and that it is clearly a game about war. Y’know, if the title of the game didn’t tip her off.

So, if she knew it was a game about war, then how could she come to the insane conclusion that this is a game where the whole objective is to kill dogs. I mean, if that were the case, wouldn’t it be called Call of Duty: Let’s Go Dog Huntin’!?

I think it’s fairly obvious that these are war dogs trained to rip peoples guts/face apart. I suppose if she was being attacked by a slavering war beast she would just let it kill her then?

I know this was mentioned above, a couple times, but the activists who speak out are always the crazy ones who place far more value on an animals life than on a humans.

I sure wouldn’t want to be stuck in a burning building along with goddamn Winnie the Pooh. No doubt she would pull him to safety while I was burned to a crisp.

sheppy says:

I really wish I had a way to explain this stuff to people.  The kind of person who would kill a dog after playing CODWAW would have done so without having to play the game.  Attack dogs were used in war.  People shot dogs in war.  War is in the title of this game.

Besides, people who name purse dogs after Disney characters can bite my crotch…

Wall of Text Simulation- Insert coin to continue.

Geoff says:

To be honest, I’d save a dog over a Nazi any day of the week.

Icarus_IRL says:

ohh yeah I love that story, they strapped anti-tank mines to dogs and trained them to run underneath tanks then the detonated the mines, in theory it was a good idea but when they tried it against the germans all the dogs turned and ran under the soviet tanks because they were the models they used when they were training the dogs. pretty big fail

Kincyr says:

they must’ve only looked at the SNES port at best, where the dogs were replaced by giant rats

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

HelpHelpImBeingRepressed says:

Did they miss Wolfenstein 3D?  Not to mention in the game it is self defense, you are being attacked by said dogs.  It’s not like you’re going on a rampage against complacent animals.  Research people, research!

DarkSaber says:

The lights are on, but Mr. Brain has long since departed, hasn’t it Ms. Lucci?

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Geoff says:

Well, technically, your brother is only shooting a large string of 0’s and 1’s that have been programmed to look like a dog.

And where she sees "rationalizing", I see "reality" in that it is pretend.

Dog fighting, bear baiting, and other horrible use for animals has been done for centuries.

But please, don’t let a little thing like historical context deter you from harping like a banshee.

Meh, too early for this.