Games For Change Festival Registration Opens

March 20, 2009 -

The Games for Change Festival has opened registration for attendees. The 2009 G4C will take place in New York City, May 27-29 at Parsons The New School for Design.

A press release describes the event:

The Annual Games for Change Festival brings together the world's leading foundations, NGOs, game-makers, academics, and journalists to explore this potential and how best to harness games in addressing the most critical issues of our day, from poverty to climate change, global conflicts to human rights...

Called "the Sundance of video games" for "socially-responsible game-makers" we're promoting a new genre of video game - games to change the world - for the better.

Nicholas Kristof of the New York Times will deliver the keynote. Other speakers include:

• A fireside chat with leading scholars Jim Gee and Henry Jenkins
  • A conversation between Lucy Bradshaw, Executive Producer, Spore, Electronic Arts and N'Gai Croal, Newsweek
  • Ian Bogost, CEO of Persuasive Games
  • Heather Chaplin, journalist and author of Smartbomb: The Quest for Art, Entertainment, and Big Bucks in the Videogame Revolution.
  • Seth Scheisel, New York Times game critic and technology journalist

Comments

Re: Games For Change Festival Registration Opens

I don't recognize these names, so I don't know who's a bigot and who's not. Otherwise it might sound like a good idea. It's nice to see people thinking games can make a positive impact for a change.

Re: Games For Change Festival Registration Opens

This is the dumbest shit I've ever seen.  ALso, I don't care to hear what Bradshaw and Croal are going to talk about, because I suspect it will include his bullshit stance that RE5 is racist, and after beating the game, I'm going to claim its not.

Also, 'climate change' is the bullshit new term for global warming, in of itself bullshit.  The only thing game companies could do to appease the idiots that buy into it is make cheaper boxes and not use plastic, and damned if I'm going to have to buy those plastic containers for my discs myself.

Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm