Retro “Just Say No” Commercial Features Wrestler as Mario

By way of What They Play comes this bit of gaming/TV/war on drugs nostalgia:

Depending on how old you are, you might recall the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. It was a television show that aired on the cusp of the ’90s, featuring wrestler Captain Lou Albano as Mario…

America’s airwaves in the ’80s and ’90s were also thick with anti-drug Public Service Announcements. These were usually doled out by celebrities or cartoon characters. It so happens "Mario" warned kids away from drugs, too–in a manner that was a little harsher than the norm…

Firebird says:

Yes, I actually I was referring to the Nintendo power issues. But its popularity prompted a whole release of the series in a single comic (along w/ the Legend of Zelda: A link to the past series, which were also pretty good)

The series served as a precursor to the style and humor of later Mario games (notably, its RPG incarnations). I just hoped for a similar anime-style on television.

On that note, enough with Mega Man anime!!! (Its not even faithful to the series anymore)

finaleve says:

I’m used to it…

and I’m…well not exactly proud, but own the whole series on DVD.

I have to admit though, if they kept all the characters in their hardcore attitude mixed with some of the quirkyness of the rest of the cast…it wouldn’t feel right.  "I’m gonna destroy you with my mega buster while the burger chef makes his burgers fending the evil hotdogs"  (I couldn’t think of anything better…)

does that sound right at all?

MrKlorox says:

Just the panels that were in Nintendo Power. I’m pretty sure they were by the same artist.

I think 3D CGI is the best way to do a tv show or movie based on a videogame franchise.

Cecil475 says:

"Definitely NEWER! Those old cartoons SERIOUSLY needed to be redone. "

Whoa whoa, How many times has a good thing been redone and it ends up being shitty?

You DID mean remake, right?

– Warren Lewis

Cecil475 says:

I like that verson of Simon Belmont. I know it isn’t true to the games but still,

Or maybe I’m just used to it.

– Warren Lewis

Firebird says:

I’d make the suggestion of using the animation format and plots from the old Super Mario World comics from the mid-90’s… (has anybody read them besides me?)

Neo_DrKefka says:

I thought it was stupid before I sat there and thought about it, it’s true you’ll go to hell before you die.

If you been in the black community and seen a crack head struggle and sell herself for ten dollars, thats hell

Anto103 says:

Well Mario would know what it’s like to do drugs, after all those magic mushrooms and eating fire flowers he would of seen some freaky shit.

_ _ Pops… If you dance with the devil, the devil don’t change. The devil changes you.

GrimCW says:

thats awesome :) i actually have the show on DVD.

the good ol’ days :) i used to hate the toons but i loved the parts with him and the other guy…

Citizen_K says:

I think he says "if you use drugs, you go to hell before you die," as in "using drugs is a form of living hell."  At least I hope that’s what he meant, otherwise it makes no sense.

Does this make anyone else nostalgic for the old Nintendo shows like Captain N?