Techie Blogger Mom Calls For Guv to Veto Utah Video Game/Movie Bill

A Utah mom has come out swinging against HB 353. The Jack Thompson-conceived bill, overwhelmingly passed by the Utah House and Senate, is currently just a stroke of Gov. Jon Huntsman’s (R) pen away from becoming law.

Misty Fowler (left) is a software developer, mother of two and activist Democrat.

She also pens the politically-oriented Saintless blog.

Fowler writes:

I didn’t feel like [Utah Senate sponsor Margaret] Dayton [R] and [Utah House sponsor Mike] Morley [R] came out to share details of the bill, but to introduce it with the idea that this isn’t a punitive bill, so that maybe we would all have warm fuzzies about how good this was for our children. Because really, think of the children, will you?…

As a parent, I feel very strongly that it’s my responsibility to my children to educate them about what they can play, and why…

The ESRB is accomplishing what it should… The Utah Legislature seems to be approving of ESRB by trying to enforce it…

I don’t want this law passed. Not because I don’t want to protect children. But, because I think it’s a bogus attempt to regulate the ESRB, and won’t do anything for our children. It will cost local businesses money, and is likely to remove some great tools I have in making decisions about video games as a parent.

Ask Governor Huntsman to veto it.

Fowler also questions the bill, given Jack Thompson’s involvement.

Wolvenmoon says:

South korea : the equivelant to millions of U.S. dollars of government investment into their games industry

U.S. : Abuse of the game industry that one product annually brings in the equivelant of more than 400 million foreign dollars.

Answer for the game companies : Let the U.S. shaft itself and move to south korea.

Or, at least, in the direction it’s going that’s what’s going to happen.

Remember folks! Jack Thompson is for a poorer, stupider America!

I will not buy securom games. and

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Ah, Misty! Welcome tot he party! Enjoy your stay!

mdo7 says:

Jack Thompson saying Mrs. Fowler is part of the video game conspiracy and saying her children will become a school shooter in 3…2…1

Glad to see a parent who have a common sense about the ESRB.  Guess there are parents who read the ESRB after all.  To all the parent, learn from Mrs. Fowler.

Erik says:

It amuses me so when Jack thinks that a suggested age on a product is some sort of binding promise which results in fraud if broken.  I mean seriously, even games such as Monopoly will state things such as "For ages 12 and up".  Would it be fraud then if someone sold a game of Monopoly to an 11 year old?

A recomendation is not a promise, ergo no fraud.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

nekusagi says:

Wasn’t Jack crowing after the election about how he had all kinds of legislation he planned to write with Obama or something that would surely spell our doom?

Shadow D. Darkman says:

I noticed Misty replied to us and Jack. She even liked my screen name there.  Sadly, I really don’t want to make a new account to accommodate the change.

PHX Corp says:

Big Fat Moron in miami posted in the blog, heres his comment(note to everyone I hate him more than everyone here)

Dear Misty: You’re a leftwing Democrat for President Messiah. What a surprise. Looks like your judgment regarding doing something about the false advertising of entertainment retailers is about as bad as your judgment about Barack Obama.

If you want to debate the merits and demerits of this bill I helped write, let me know. Put your mouth where your blogging is.

Jack Thompson

PS: The alleged “audit” that proves video game retailers are 94% compliant with the ESRB ratings apparently does not exist. Patty Vance of the ESRB won’t produce it. Also, Misty, pay attention: This is not just about video games. It’s about movies as well. The Federal Trade Commission has just found that certain theatre chains, some of which are in Utah, ignore the R-rating on movies more than 70% of the time. That’s called fraud, Misty. Kind of like our President is a fraud, but you wouldn’t understand, apparently, the concept about political frauds or commercial frauds. Jack Thompson

Watching JT on GP is just like watching an episode of Jerry springer only as funny as the fights

JDKJ says:

I’ve some bad news for you: once Mr. Thompson decides to sink his meat-hooks into you, neither logic, shark repellant, bug spray, nor moving out of the country can keep him at bay.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Indeed, that’s how I know he had posted, was you posting his comment.

PHX Corp says:

Which it’s also posted here for those who want to deconstruct his statements on GP(that’s why i posted it)

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Indeed, but she just might be the one to give Jack his wake up call at long last.

hellfire7885 says:

I imagine it’d be hard to blackmail someone is so deluded they believe they never do wrong. Hell, he can’t see his disbarment as his own fault.

nighstalker160 says:

Unforunately no.

This women is CLEARLY part of the videogame conspiracy, "software developer" is obviously just code for "woman who wants her children to kill people."

This is EXACTLY the kind of person this bill was designed to stop. She is no better than a cult leader, a leader of the video game cult! She should be punished and her children taken from her!

Won’t someone PLEASEEE think of the CHILDREN!

Sadly, I don’t think I’m that far off from what those like Jack actually think about this woman. Jack is extremely unlikely to listen to a software developing activist Democrat.

Software Developing Activist Democrat…that’s like Satan incarnate to Jack.

PHX Corp says:

I also read Misty Fowler’s blog further and i found a truncated version of what Jackie poo did(Quoted by the miami new times article)