Activision Barks Back at PETA on Call of Duty: World at War

If you’re not up to date on the mini-controversy brewing around the need to shoot enemy attack dogs in Call of Duty: World at War, check out our previous story on animal rights group PETA’s complaint about the game.

Publisher Activision has just forwarded a response to GamePolitics:

In order to create believable, real-world scenes and heighten the game playing experience, “Call of Duty: World at War” depicts the ruthless and gritty combat of World War II.

Dogs are included in the game for authenticity since they were used extensively by German, Japanese, U.S. and Soviet troops during the war. Activision in no way endorses or condones cruelty to animals, and we don’t believe the game will encourage cruelty in any way.

Werrick says:

Their first mistake was engaging PETA at all… even so much as responding to them sends the message that they take PETA seriously which almost no one does (except PETA, obviously).

finaleve says:

Did peta react to when CoD4 had it?  I mean…you snap a dog’s neck in it (if you timed it right that is…IF is the keyword) or shoot them!  Thats bad in their eyes!

Arell says:

Oh, they aren’t replying for PETA’s sake.  They’re just releasing the prerequisite PC response required to show normal people that they care.

DarkSaber says:

If they hace the brains the rest of the world does, they wont care.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Chamale says:

Actually, I agree. I think a playable dog class would be really fun. (We don’t need medics or anti-tank… Map’s too small for sniping… I play infantry too much… Ah! I’ll play as an attack dog!) Kit options would include rescue, anti-tank or attack, and in a world war 1 game the dogs could get little gas masks.

This is a signature virus. Please copy and paste into your signature to help it propagate.

Father Time says:

It would be fun as long it wasn’t just dogfights you would have to fight (enemy) humans as well. Otherwise it would probably be simialr to Okami without the paintbrushes.

I wonder how Peta would react if they let you play as a Nazi attack dog going after US troops.

Stealthguy says:

Meh, they are still though, pandering to the ignorant. Not to be bastard or anything but I wonder how fare their beliefs go. Would defend themselves against a rabid bear? Or would they have animal control do their jobs and then berate them for it?

Austin_Lewis says:

I just want to know what organization you’re talking about  Did you mean the ASPCA?  I know you didn’t mean ALF for damn sure, so I’m a bit confused I fear.

Father Time says:

It was part of their show on showtime called Bullshit (they’re doing the seventh season soon and violent video games will be one of the new topics). Anyway because of youtube’s limits the episodes’s in 3 parts

Oh and I think the sound gets off at one of the videos, not sure.

LAG - Law Abiding Gamer says:

Ahh crap, got my organizations mixed up again. My bad, and you’re right. Serves me right for sneaking in a post or two at work.

***Homicide-free video gaming since 1972!***

Father Time says:

I take it you’ve also seen Penn and Teller’s thrashing of them?

Icehawk says:

PETA will not be happy until animals have the right to vote and own property.  Of course at that they can also be drafted, jailed, sued, worry over the ecomony, work (or stave) and generally be miserable like humans.  Irony would have them then sueing the shit out of PETA for interfering.

Actually I always wanted to ask: Why does PETA do this bit?  Were they asked by an animal to sponsor them and insure their "rights" or did they just take it upon themselves to act holier than thou?   Did their authority come from the same place as other wackjobs like JBT?

Austin_Lewis says:

You know my favorite thing that PETA does?  Gives money to terrorists.  I was doing research in a school when I was a grad student, and was sitting in a highschool as some asshole they paid taught kids how to make a molotov cocktail out of a plastic gallon jug.  Then I stood up in the audience and destroyed everything he had to say point by point.

Truth is, PETA has done very little good.  It’s an organization of people who are just smug assholes.  Look at the diabetic on the board of directors; she says that other people can’t have insulin because it comes from dogs and horses on occasion (or some other animal, I can’t really remember which right now), but SHE can have it because SHE NEEDS IT to make a difference.

I’d rather have the ASPCA than PETA.  At least then you don’t have a bunch of assholes throwing paint on people who buy fur.  Whoop-de goddamn doo, I bought a fur coat.  Throw paint or ‘blood’ on it and we’ll see how fast I respond to your assault.

Another note: I think Ted Nugent could take on all of PETA by himself.  They keep threatening him, and I know there’s only so long he’ll take it before he litigates the fuck out of those self-righteous assholes.

hellfire7885 says:

Bascialyl what you’rew saying is, if a company is doign excessive animal testign the future, and PETA speaks up, they’re already doing that company a favor now.

LAG - Law Abiding Gamer says:

The sad thing for me is that, as many liberal organizations do (and I’m a liberal), PETA is shooting themselves in the foot here (good thing they’re not dogs, or they’d have to be outraged at themselves).  PETA has done good things in the past, taking on unnecessary animal testing, dealing with real life abuse of animals, etc.

However, by taking up this kind of fight, where the only harm being done is in the imaginations of a few, overly sensitive people, they’re losing all credibility with a large portion of the general population.  So, what happens the next time they take up a really worthwhile cause?  They’re dismissed as crackpots and a good message gets lost.

It’s how the ultra-conservative fear-monger camp has kept even moderate progressives at bay…just lump them in with the far-left nut jobs who have nothing better to do than make unrealistic demands and get into shouting matches with their television sets.  It’s been very effective, and I’d bet that the PETA members who are behind this protest don’t even realize the size of the silver platter that they’re delivering to their opponents.

***Homicide-free video gaming since 1972!***

Shadow D. Darkman says:

True, but their views have radically changed over the years, so no one listens to them anymore.

hellfire7885 says:

If PETA learned that attacks dogs or even bomb delivery dogs were used in World War 2, , they’d likely want that part of history sticken from the records.

Austin_Lewis says:

I would’ve worded my reply a bit differently, something about maybe when you stop killing 90% of the dogs you take in, then we’ll take you slightly more seriously.  But that’s just met, and PETA seems to be made up of retards, so I have no patience for them.

eston says:

PETA euthanizing thousands of dogs a year = good

Fictional soldiers in a realistic WWII FPS killing dogs because the dogs are trying to kill them = bad

Wolvenmoon says:

Peta:"You just shot a domesticated animal! OMG! It should never have been domesticated in the first place, and you killed it! We would have taken it and dumped it in the wild to starve to death, or just euthanized it and refused to adopt it out."

This would make me update the game with a patch that let every player play as a dog in a doggy deathmatch.

I will not buy securom games. and