PETA Slams Activision Over Dog Killing in Call of Duty: World at War

Last week GamePolitics reported that a group of animal lovers at a Massachusetts high school were outraged by the need to shoot enemy attack dogs in the best-selling Call of Duty: World at War.

Animal rights organization People For the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has now joined Academy of Notre Dame students in their criticism of the World War II shooter. In response to a request for comment, GamePolitics received this statement from PETA:

UPDATE: PETA has blogged about their objection to the canine killing in CoD:WaW

65 comments

1. Harry Miste says:

I think they were fine with MGS3 due to that Snake was eating out of survival, not because he could. It is possible to eat nothing but a vegan diet throughout the game, but you’re not going to get far ’cause of the complete lack of stamina-replenishing fruit in comparison to the various snakes.

As for the euthanasion, I’ve NEVER heard anything about it. I’ve always hated PETA because they were self-righteous, animals-and-we-are-holier-than-thou nature, but I can also add hypocrisy to the list of the reasons I hate PETA. I can bet you that they would resort to terrorism if it meant "saving animals".

| XBOX LIVE GamerTag: Harry Miste | Steam ID: Harry Miste | PSN ID: HarryMiste |

2. mdo7 says:

PETA is just stupid.  IF they are defender of animal.  Where were they when the whale are getting killed, and where were they when many sharks (my favorite animal) were getting overfished and killed too much.  Now they are bitching about dogs in Call of Duty getting killed.

To the animal lovers in high school who whine about the dog killing in Call of Duty.  You’re now a traitor in the gaming community.  You sided with the enemy and now you’re no longer welcome in the community.  This is unforgivable, you’ll be not forgiven for this.  Any gamer found siding with game opposition are labeled traitors and a "enemy of the state".

I care for animals also, But I don’t whine and moan over this because it’s a game not real stuff.  Also, if a dog attack me, I have to defend myself.

3. DarkSaber says:

It was well said when the point was first made. some 17 years on it’s getting a little repetitive.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

4. nightwng2000 says:

I just posted the below, but in case it isn’t approved, this is for posterity:

Since PETA, as well as the students, are so much more concerned over the health and welfare of the dogs which are used as weapons by various individuals and organizations as both guard and attack, perhaps they would like to volunteer to act as decoys.  They can have the dogs attack THEM, instead of the soldiers, thereby preventing the need to subdue the dogs in ANY fashion.

No, really.  You think animals are more valuable than Human life.  So put your stance where your mouth is.  Lay down your life to protect the dogs.  They attack and harm Humans.  So, Humans must defend themselves by injuring or killing the dogs.  How do you prevent that?  By letting the dogs attack YOU, as a decoy, so the dogs don’t have to be injured or killed.

Hey, you wanted that stance.  Now either practice what YOU preach, or admit your fraud on this stance.

Andrew

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 has also updated his MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/nightwing2000 Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

5. Amolloy says:

A Molloy

I for one want to save frogs.  If Frogger ever makes a come back we need to stop it!

6. GRIZZAM PRIME says:

You can’t treat fake animals ethically because they’re fake. You can’t treat fake animals unethically because they’re fake. Fake animals are fake.

Now please excuse me while I gobble up some mutha-fuckin’ sea kittens.

7. Shadow D. Darkman says:

Well said.

——————————————————————————

8. A-wel Cruiz says:

Hey PeTA, know who else eats animals. OTHER ANIMALS! It’s called the food chain, and it’s worked pretty well for the past thousand millenia or so.

I get the feeling that if PeTA had their way, no animal in the world would eat meat. I’m suddenly reminded of Free Waterfall Jr. from Futurama and the sickly lion he trained to eat tofu.

9. Father Time says:

I found that after some digging after I made that comment. His slamming of the Mets was even funnier than slamming PETA. Colbert is awesome.

—————————————————-

10. A-wel Cruiz says:

Personally, I’d like to walk into a McDonald’s one day and order a Filet O’Sea Kitten.

11. Father Time says:

Glad I wasn’t drinking anything that was freaking brilliant. Do you know what episode that was or around what time it was aired?

—————————————————-

12. Father Time says:

"To help the folks at Activision Blizzard learn about the ethical treatment of animals, we’re offering to let them take PETA’s "Developing Empathy for Animals" free of charge and are sending a package of Nintendogs games to their office."

So what would Peta send me if I were to make a game with unnecessary animal cruelty? After all killing the dogs was in self-defence.

—————————————————-

13. 1AgainstTheWorld says:

Exactly.  I’d forgotten about "sea kittens" but these are the same people who like to dress up in pig and cow costumes, complete with fake blood, stand outside schools and scream at little kids not to eat meat or drink milk.  Ka-reepy.

14. HarmlessBunny says:

So I guess they missed Metal Gear Solid 3, and few other games. As a many people have posted that they have euthanized 90% of the dogs they have taken in…as well as seemingly ignored other games (I’m looking at you World of Warcraft!) that you spend quests/missions killing as much as 20 to 30 animals at a time.

Attention mongering hypocrites in action!

15. hellfire7885 says:

Makes me think they’d take a bat to my aquarium then release the fish i na nearby lake, ignoring that my fish wouldn’t survive in a wild lake.

16. Firebird says:

At least it finally gives me an excuse to try the newest delicacy…

Land Fish.

-To paraphrase Stephen Colbert

17. fozzy360 says:

These are the same people who want to rename fish to "sea kittens" so that we can feel bad about eating them.  Was this really unexpected?  Either way, PETA is full of loud, annoying barking pups who don’t even know how to bite.  Treat them like you would a troll–Don’t feed ’em.

——————————————————————–

"We received 20 calls last night. As we all know, one call equals a billion people. So 20 billion people called us last night. We must act to preserve decency on television." -The FCC

18. Vash-HT says:

It’s just cause that one stupid girl made a stink about watching her brother play it. These people are so out of it that it’s not even funny, there have been tons and tons of games where you kill animals between wolf3d and this game, and I wouldn’t call killing an attack dog in self defense "barbaric" either.

19. hellfire7885 says:

Not that I’m advocating anyone sic a dog o nthem, but I wonder what a PETA member would do if a dog went to attack them.

20. gamegod25 says:

What part of ATTTACK DOGS do people not understand? These aren’t pets, they’re animals bred and trained to rip your throat out!

I’m all for treating animals better, but if it’s trying to kill me then I’m going to defend myself.

21. hellfire7885 says:

Very true.

Those students got a headlaine, PETA is jsut grabbing on hoping for headlines going "are we relevant yet, are we relevant yet?"

22. Charax says:

I’ve made more graphic dog kills in Fallout 3 than I can count. VATS is a wonderful thing.

PETA don’t care about dogs, they don’t care about the depiction of animal cruelty in games – they care about headlines.

23. hellfire7885 says:

They’re just now complaining?

Let’s see how many games they missed where you can kill animals, usually i nself defense.

Most if not all Metal Gear game,s the Mario series, most RPGs, Word of Warcraft, Postal 2, GTA4, Gun, Elder Scrolls, Half Life 2[it has birds you can shoot} And that’s all I can name.

If all those games came out and NOW People for un-Ethical Treatment of Animals and people are complaining, then they need to do something unheard of, shut their mouths.

As for senindg copies of Nintendogs to Activison Blizzard, that’s like sending salads to a meat packing plant.

And I’m pretty sure many people at the company already have the game and like it.

24. Kincyr says:

seeing that Activision Blizzard got free copies of Nintendogs, I’d say they’re the real winners in this scuffle

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

25. JustChris says:

They’re using the colloquial meaning of "animals", sadly

Anyways, they’re a bit late on this complaint wagon. I was killing guard dogs in the Russian parts of COD4.

GameSnooper

26. Danny Internets says:

Is PETA really running so low on shit to complain about that they have to dig back to World War II and blame those who create realistic (but virtual) depictions of it for past injustices?

Fucking whack-jobs.

CounterfeitCulture.com: Gaming news and commentary for the socially-adjusted nerd.

27. Geoff says:

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking.  Why is CoD: WAW getting so much heat all of a sudden?  With the amount of grinding done in WoW you’d think Azeroth would be devoid of all life.

Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cook-book! Little Red Cook-book!

28. Ashkihyena says:

BAWAHAHAAAHAHAH……wait, let me continue.  BAWAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAH!!!!  Oh man, thats rich, not the Nintendogs part cause I have that and enjoy it, but the Developing Empathy for Animals part, especally given what PETA actually does to animals.

29. Michael Chandra says:

I’m gonna agree with all the people above that pointed out PETA are nothing more but a bunch of animal murderers themselves so should shut up already.

30. BearDogg-X says:

Seconded.

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

31. Austin_Lewis says:

Dear PETA,

Where do you get off?  Jesus Christ, I’ve met some hypocrites in my life, and I’ve been around, but damn if you don’t top the chart.  You kill 90% of the dogs you take in, but when a game simulates such an action, you pretend you have the moral authority to slam the company that makes the game? Fuck you PETA.  Fuck the ALF.  And fuck every moronic member you have you pack of lying, two-faced, self-important hypocrites.

32. ksefchik says:

I just think it’s funny that they take issue with people killing animals, but don’t have any problems with violence against people *cough**cough*ALF*COUGH*. For most people, it’s the other way around. Just goes to show how backwards PETA is, I guess.

33. Nekowolf says:

"Developing Empathy for Animals" – sooo…rounding up as many cats and dogs as possible then killing them? Cause, you know, god forbid they be sold into the slavery that is known as a "family pet."

Fuck PETA. Fuck the ALF.

34. Cell says:

Just wait until they play World of Warcraft. Their heads will explode when they see the large variety of animal life you can slaughter, skin, cook, eat, sew together, wear on your back, etc. etc.

This whole thing is just another tempest in a teacup, move along, nothing to see here, these aren’t the droids you’re looking for.

35. DarkSaber says:

The Thing: Capcoms ONLY source of research for boss monsters in RE games since the first one. ‘Blobby thing with eye-in-massive-vagina and tentacles? Didn’t we use that one in the last game? And the section before that in THIS game? Oh well."

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

36. CyberSkull says:

Love it!

What about every RPG there is PETA? You spend most of those games wiping out the local fauna to level up, and I don’t hear you whining about that?

37. insanejedi says:

Where’s Resident Evil in all of this? Call of Duty 5 is an old game today (relatively speaking.) Resident Evil 5 has dogs with their heads split open and tentacles coming raight out of them, possibly the most horrific imgary of a dog I have ever seen.

38. CaptainZM says:

I have a sudden urge to create an army of Bear Riders…

——————————————-

"Don’t Run, You’ll Just Die Tired."

39. Magic says:

The dogs aren’t in the game for the sake of it, they’re in because – guess what – they have been used in war before and it’s what a soldier might face. No one is putting Cossacks riding bears in since _they’re not in warfare_ (Not until the next Red Alert game anyway).

We shouldn’t be surprised, it’s the usual purile bandwagon jumping, unless someone can show to me that Peta have actively opposed and campaigned against animals used in wars.

40. Cell says:

We can’t have realism in life. It just shatters too many tinted glasses for these holier than thou morons. We should take a collection to send PETA a gift. A can of rose-colored paint, a paintbrush, and a history book. That way they can paint over the history of the world in a nice cheery color and live their lives forever deluded.

41. ZAR says:

OK… Let me get this straight: since the REALISTIC depiction of the battle against attack dogs in a GAME are bashed, it must be presumed that wars are generally a bad thing because so many animals have to suffer?

Looks more like this organisation and its people have nothing serious to do.

ZAR.

42. destijlcat says:

Given that PETA unnecessarily euthanizes over 90% of the animals in its care i think those dogs are safer in the game, there’s never been anything ethical about PETA.

As an animal lover I’m more comfortable with this game than with hypocritical murderous assholes like PETA.

43. ezbiker555 says:

For the love of god its a video game. Besides there are countless are other games where dogs are in it, so what difference does it make if dogs are in this one. These people just love creating controversy don’t they?

44. Andrew Eisen says:

"Not since we were pitted against Nazi attack dogs when we first escaped from Castle Wolfenstein 17 years ago have we seen such barbaric treatment of dogs in gameplay as we did in Call of Duty, World of War."

Haven’t played Activision’s Gun from a few years ago, eh?  Here’s a hint: dogs plus dynamite arrows.

I don’t know about anyone else but I’m always poking my Nintendog in the eye and pulling his tale.

Seriously though, it comes down to this: if an element of a game bothers you, don’t play it.  it’s truly that simple.

Andrew Eisen