In Wake of Shooting Rampage, Stuttgart Gaming Competition Nixed

As Germany continues to come to grips with the horrific March 11th shooting rampage that left 16 people dead, violent video games have come under renewed scrutiny by elected officials and others.

In the latest news, a gaming competition scheduled for March 27th in Stuttgart has been canceled. Winnenden, where 17-year old killer Tim Kretschmer began his rampage, is not far from Stuttgart.

As reported by Heise Online, the Electronic Sports League (ESL) match would have featured competitive play of first-person shooters Counter-Strike 1.6 and Counter-Strike Source as well as real-time strategy classic Warcraft 3.

An Associated Press report which appeared on the day of the rampage indicated that Kretschmer was a Counter-Strike player.

Stuttgart Mayor Wolfgang Schuster (left) cited the school shooting as the reason behind the cancellation. Although GamePolitics is working from a Google translation, it appears that, in canceling the ESL match, Schuster was concerned for the feelings of the families and friends of the shooting victims.

GP: Thanks to GamePolitics reader tibuka for the tip…

1AgainstTheWorld says:

Remember how shortly after Columbine, the NRA held their big gun get-together in nearby (I think) Denver, despite all the public outrage?  The only reason they got away with it and the game show got theirs cancelled is because of all the special-interest power the NRA wields.

TK n Happy Ness says:

Didn’t they cancel the Gears of War 2 launch party because of that little son of a bitch Brandon Crisp? Why should they cancel something big because of one asshole? Nice way to lose a lot of tourist dollars Stuttgart.

When Jack Thompson runs his mouth, does anyone really care what he has to say anymore?

Tammej says:

Just so you know, there is a pro-gaming movement at work, so it’s not like nobody is doing anything. In fact, I’m wearing one of those "I don’t vote for game-killers’ T-shirts right now.

Wormdundee says:

I’m going to assume you’re being metaphorical here, because I doubt anyone in Germany would be insane enough to call themselves the Nazi party.

Anyways, to be more general, some sort of fascist party could get rolling here.

I know people will probably say that this is being somewhat alarmist, and I don’t think it’s going to happen next election or something, but hell, if things keep going in this direction I don’t think it’s crazy to think that it could eventually happen.

Then again, I’m hoping that in the next 10 years or so, there will be more people from the gamer generation getting into politics and can stop this particular brand of craziness.

MasterAssassin says:

With the way Germany has been going in the past few years, I would not be at all surprised if a new Nazi party came to power in the near future.  It is also completely unacceptable to why the German people have stood idly by and let the government trample on their rights. Wake up! Get off your asses, turn off the TV and take to the streets. Write your elected officials and support thier opponents in the next elections If the industry had any balls, game companies would move out of Germany and re-locate to the States(we need the jobs) or another country that welcomes them. All I have to say is God Bless America and thank god I don’t live in that dictatorship that pretends it’s really changed from 60 years ago.

gamadaya says:

So did the mayor himself cancel the event? That seems almost impossible, since I can’t imagine that the competition was sponsered by the city.

Believe in something! Even if it’s wrong, believe in it! -Glenn Beck

Glasofruix says:

That’s stupid, it’s like cancelling a kart race because of a car accident happened a week ago… Cancelling an event because something totally unrelated happened.

Freakazoid says:

I guess your government never made foolish decisions in regards to video game laws huh? Do I call you stupid because of that? Certainly not… so thanks for your ignorance.

CyberSlammer says:

Who cares? Let the stupid Germans do what they do best, blame something other than the root cause for their ills, the rest of the gaming world will move on without them.

chadachada321 says:

I find it more interesting that shooting rampages (in the US) are almost always in "gun-free zones," while no one would dare go on a rampage on a street in Texas…

Just something I’ve always thought was interesting.

MechaTama31 says:

No, you see, it’s because they know everybody else there has been training on the same games and has all the same deadly skillz they do.  They’re too afraid to start shit at a gaming event.  It’s much safer to target a school, where only, say, 80% of the people game.

NovaBlack says:

Also.. isnt it interesting that these ‘rampages caused by games’ always happen at schools / public places, yet NEVER happen at big gaming events like this?

I mean, if it CAUSES them to act violent, those places must be full of fights, injuries, murders etc?? right? I mean its a hotbed of hundreds of competing ‘violent game players’. And lets face it, competitive play can get heated. SO… why does nobody ever flip out?. Strange.

tibuka says:

"This is clearly a sign that education drives people mad and thus should be banned!"

I think this could be kinda true. I think our (german) educational system might have a lot more to do with these shootings than games.

LujanD says:

Reliable sources have just informed me that the German shooter apparently enjoyed his breakfasts. So much so that he actually indulged in this odd ritual almost every morning. There is clearly a connection here as it’s a known fact that most killers partake in this daily “breakfast” ceremony.

Also, more importantly, are schools killing our children?

It is another known fact that not only have many killers gone to school but that the more renowned mass-killing cases actually occurred at said educational centers (Columbine, V-Tech, etc). This is clearly a sign that education drives people mad and thus should be banned!

Please people, think of the children!

Let’s all band together to fight such evils as breakfast and education!

Zen says:

But I thought, as the media likes to keep telling people, that GUNS don’t kill people, sex and violence crazed videogame players that all never leave a basement of a parent or home will kill us all.

I understand that if they canceled it because of sensitivities to the recent events (more than can be said for the gun show apparently), but I would raise issue if they had to stop because they were TOLD to.

Zen aka Jeremy Powers
    Panama City, Fl.

Afirejar says:

There’s an error in the article, unless you have another source that specifically says World of Warcraft – because the "Warcraft" mentioned on is Warcraft 3.

In my opionion, they should have just sued. The gun tradeshow that took place in the region last week did and succeeded.

Austin_Lewis says:

And so we begin this same goddamn song and dance again.

The affected community blames guns, they blame videogames, they even sometimes blame music or movies, then the reporters and the community pat each other on the back and pretend we’ve made progress, and nothing gets done.

Way to go Germany.

hellfire7885 says:

Now that I think about it, the competition organizers might have not even seen a point in suing.

WIth things how they are in Germany right now, the gun show organizers mighth ave gotten preferential treatment while the game competition organizers could have been told to piss off.

metroidprimegmr says:

Am I the only one that thought of Sam & Max Season Two: Night of the Raving Dead when I read the headline?

Anyways, it pisses me off that the organizers of the tournament didn’t sue like the organizers of the gun show. All it does is further justify the stupid idea that "violent games are bad, but guns are perfectly okay!"

Jack Thompson: future Good Burger employee of the month

Afirejar says:

I’d like to clarify this a bit:

Neither the gaming tournament nor the gun show were canceled by their respective organizers.
    City officials wanted to cancel both the gun show and the video game tournament.
    The organizers of the gun show then sued and the court gave them permission to go ahead, while the organizers of the video game tournament chose to let the matter rest for now and will reschedule their event.

NovaBlack says:

Sorry.. but this is just completely unnacceptable.

Games DID NOT cause this guy to kill people. So what message does it send out when a gaming competition gets cancelled after the event for no other reason than bowing to the misinformed prejudices of the narrow minded idiots, whilst a gun show goes ahead unhindered. (not that im blaming guns here, just pointing out the comparison).

IT tells them they are right.

It tells them that ‘well we must be right, because even the gaming community effectively admitted guilt , through its subsequent actions’ .

Then next time something like this happens, this can be used as ‘evidence’ that crack pot ‘killer-games’ theories are right.

At very least, to those undecided individuals out there, this sends out the WRONG message.