Utah House Majority Leader: Override of Game Bill Veto Unlikely

HB 353, the Jack Thompson-conceived video game/movie bill which was vetoed yesterday by Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman, is unlikely to return – at least in 2009.

The Deseret News reports that Utah House Majority Leader Kevin Garn (R, left) downplayed the likelihood of an override for either HB 353 or a second, non-game-related measure vetoed by Huntsman yesterday.

I don’t see a veto override session called for either of these bills. I think the sponsors should retool them and present them next session.

Garn, however, did praise the legislation:

[HB 353] was a fine example of a bill that sends a message to the sellers of these games of violence and nudity — don’t sell to minors, especially if you’ve advertised that you wouldn’t.

24 comments

JDKJ says:

I’d imagine that a reluctance to return for an override vote would manifest itself in an expression of reluctance to vote for an override. Not neccessarily the same thing, but it don’t make much sense to say, "Yeah, I’ll vote for the override but, no, I can’t vote for the Special Session at which I’ll cast my override vote."

nighstalker160 says:

It actually could be two distinct hurdles. It’s remarkably difficult to get 2/3 of a legislature to vote to come back into session even if 2/3 would vote to override.

Sure 2/3 might vote to override, but do those same 2/3 feel so strongly about it that they’re willing to interrupt their vacations to get themselves back? That’s a different question entirely.

JDKJ says:

Yeah, but as a practical matter, first they figure out if they’ve got the supermajority to override. If they do, then the vote to reconvene is a mere formality. The overide votes simply vote to reconvene. It’s not like it’s two distinct hurdles which must be overcome.

BearDogg-X says:

While overriding a veto needs a 2/3rds vote by both houses, first they have to get a 2/3rds vote by both houses to reconvene the legislature because the session ended(has to be done within 60 days of the legislature’s adjournment).

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

MaskedPixelante says:

This also brings up what kind of screwed up legislature Utah has. Either it becomes law, it gets ignored and it becomes law, or it gets vetoed, and a vote of at least 2/3 makes it law.

—You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

BearDogg-X says:

Jacky Boy’s crying in the Deseret News article over Huntsman’s veto:

Jacky Boy needs to change his Depends.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

Vake Xeacons says:

“Don’t sell to minors” THEY’RE NOT! When will these guys realize the problem’s already taken care of! Now, they’re trying to create one just so they can say, “Hey, we showed gamer’s who’s boss!”

hellfire7885 says:

Even the ESRB itself wasn’t aware of that.

It seems the only people who will defend this bill to the recrcling center are Thompson and his eagle forum "friends"

Wraith108 says:

When are they up for reelection? I could see our old buddy popping up then to campaign against the Governer and maybe the house leader over the veto and not challenging it respectively. Of course if anyone running would want him to campaign on their behalf is another matter. I  doubt anyone with a realistic shot would.

Michael Chandra says:

I’d post a response on what I hope Jack will do but I don’t want that GP stalker to be warned by me how he can screw this all up, so I’ll shut up now.

Zerodash says:

I can’t wait to see who Jack goes after now.  If he tried to get the Utah AG impeached because he critisized (sp) Thompson’s approach, who knows what he will try to do now.  Hopefully, he will say/do something stupid to get his sorry ass arrested.

MechaTama31 says:

Because that’s what laws are for, right?  Sending messages?  I mean, who cares if it is constitutional, is enforceable, is reasonable, serves its intended purpose, is good governance, or any of that?  As long as it "sends a message", everything else is just gravy.

Krono says:

Actually it really just sends a message to retailers of "Don’t even attempt to uphold community standards, if you try and fail we will do horrible things to you."

-Gray17