No Decision Yet on Override, Says Utah Video Game Bill Sponsor

The sponsor of Utah’s HB 353 told GamePolitics that he is undecided as to whether he will seek an override of Republican Gov. Jon Huntsman’s veto of the controversial measure.

Rep. Mike Morley (R) told us via e-mail:

As far as a potential override, I haven’t decided whether or not to pursue that.  We’ll see as we get a little further down the road.

Morley (left) also gave his reaction to Huntsman’s veto:

I was somewhat surprised by the governor’s veto and disappointed that he didn’t contact me prior to the veto to discuss the issues.  I believe that his decision was made based on false or misleading information from the gaming industry which constituted nothing more than posturing.  The bill was carefully crafted to provide safe harbor for those retailers who followed their own advertising.

GP: To be fair, the decision on the override is not likely to be Morley’s alone; Utah’s House and Senate leadership will surely be involved. As GamePolitics reported last week, House Majority Leader Kevin Garn (R) termed an override unlikely, suggesting instead that HB 353 be "retooled" and submitted in the 2010 legislative session.

sqlrob says:

It’s time for the ECA to say "bring it on" to JT.

His e-mails are annoying? Block ’em. His style is distinctive enough that I’d train SpamAssassin on them and send them straight to trash. If he’d like his press releases posted he can not do the annoying threatening.

E. Zachary Knight says:

No. It was censoring to avoid unnecessary headache and barrage of emails demanding the site remove it or we will be sued into the ground. Not that any of the threats will be followed through with, but the emails are sure annoying.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Shadow D. Darkman says:

TBH, I was half-expecting that. He snipped it b/c it could potentially make us look bad. Thanks for the check, EZK.

Doom90885 says:

As several here have mentioned already if they want to brig up an arguement of presenting false and misleading evidence I say we serve them their asses. I’m amazed they can say that statement with a straight face.

The American Motto revised….In Scapegoats We Trust

Shadow D. Darkman says:

*EZK: SNIP I know you were kidding, but John Bruce has no sense of humor.*

Plus, it would only make people think he was right about us.

Alex says:

I was thinking the same thing. That statement does sound AWFULLY familiar…

I’m not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I’m not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don’t know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

DarkSaber says:

Sounds like Morley is still letting JT write his statements…

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

TBoneTony says:

I was about to say the same thing when the bill was drafted though the house, it was plagued with misleading information about the content of the GTA games from the bill’s sponsores and also from the Eagle Forum.

Perhaps the whole entire house who voted for this bill should be cleaned out of office because they were horridbly mislead by Jack Thompson and Ruzicka and her Eagle Forum.

If that Republican politician is going to argue that we gamers told the Governor misleading information then perhaps we should present our case to the court to shut those bastards up.

Shoehorn Oplenty says:

"I believe that his decision was made based on false or misleading information from the gaming industry which constituted nothing more than posturing."

The decision to sponsor the bill was based on false and misleading information from Jack Thompson and political forum from that Ruzicka witch and her Eagle Forum which constituted nothing more than posturing. Using Devin Moore as an example, the irrelevant "brain studies" Thompson always trots out, ANYTHING from his little rag of a book, none of this is proof or any way reliable information.

Honestly, given the influx of congratulations and kudos to the governor from sources outside the game industry, isn’t it clear that many more people and groups have a problem with this silly legislation than just the industry?

mdo7 says:

OK, that’s good news.  JT probably wants this to be passed even if the governor vetoed the bill.  I can see JT keep faxing the whole Utah’s House and pressuring to overide the veto.  JT’s not going to let them turn the bill down, that bastard.

Michael Chandra says:

And the fact the bill was defended with perjury is irrelevant compared to the so-claimed ‘misleading’ information why? Seriously, Morley, stop defending crime.