Nintendo’s Reggie: Used Games Aren’t In Consumer’s Best Interest

Spending extra money is good for consumers. Especially if they spend it on Nintendo products...

That seems to be the message from Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime, who offered these rather amazing comments to Venture Beat’s Dean Takahashi:

VB: Used games are coming up as a big issue again. Why?

RFA: … We don’t believe used games are in the best interest of the consumer. We have products that consumers want to hold onto… We believe used games aren’t in the consumer’s best interest. [GP: What kind of answer is that? Commendably, Dean calls him on it…]

VB: Because?

RFA: Describe another form of entertainment that has a vibrant used goods market. Used books have never taken off. You don’t see businesses selling used music CDs or used DVDs. Why? The consumer likes having a brand-new experience and reliving it over and over again. If you create the right type of experience, that also happens in video games. [GP: Does Reggie get out of the rarified air of the executive suite much? Used books, movies and CDs are widely available.]

VB: Could this be rectified if the retailers share some of that used game revenue with the publishers?

RFA: That could make it more palatable. But we just think it’s a bad idea… [GP: Here’s the big reveal as to where Reggie is coming from. Used games are a bad idea, but not AS bad if Nintendo gets a slice of the action. Please…]

109 comments

1. Kharne says:

And world War II! It has to be a first person shooter in world war II or your doing it wrong!

Though we make exceptions for space marines…

2. ZippyDSMlee says:

Don’t forget the dull red,green and gray shades either!!

More dalited "real" color!!!

Why dose it take so much processing power to do 4 shades of 5 colors? 0-o

Gore,Violence,Sexauilty,Fear,Emotion these are but modes of transportation of story and thought, to take them from society you create a society of children and nannys, since adults are not required.

3. Chaplain99 says:

Wait, what?  What happened to Microsoft being the Microsoft of the console world?!  What are we now, Apple?!  XD

"HEY! LISTEN!"

4. finaleve says:

Considering tey already hike up the prices for games as is?  I can find a copy of CoD4 and CoD4 GotY Edition athe same exact price of 45$.  Now, last i checked the game is starting to get its wrinkles, especially since CoD:WaW came out (though honestly i’m sure most returned to CoD4).

I avoid Gamestop as much as I can.

5. Ryno says:

Yeah, I’m the same way. In college I think I sold 2 or 3 books and kept all the rest. The only time I sell a book now is if I get a better version of it to replace it, like hardback or a first edition.

Saying that Jack Thompson is impotent is an insult to impotent men everywhere. They’ve got a whole assortment of drugs that can cure their condition; Jack, however…

6. PHX Corp says:

anyone up to go to E3 to pie the reginator over his statements[Sarcasm]

Watching JT on GP is just like watching an episode of Jerry springer only as funny as the fights

7. JoshuaOrrizonte says:

I have only one thing to say to this guy: You want me to buy new more often? Make sure the games I want stay "in print" long enough for me to get a copy. Seriously, there’s a game I recently ordered used because it’s no longer being made. It was released in 2007.

8. King of Fiji says:

But I recently bought a ship load of used Game Boy games from a Game Stop without needing to use Ebay.  Thats convenience.  🙂

9. Zevorick says:

"You don’t see businesses selling used music CDs or used DVDs."

Funny, and here I am thinking of the numerous places in which i frequently buy used CD’s/DVD’s

Hastings entertainment, pawn shops, gamestop (dvd’s), any mom and pop shop worth their salt…

Seriously? You’re going to try and play the "Those businesses don’t exist" card?… Really?

10. Ratros says:

But they were in your best interest.  And by your interest, I mean ours.  Cause lets face it, in the end the consumers (or so called gamers if you will) don’t matter.  All that matters is the all mighty dollar.  Why should we care about your rights or your satisfaction.  Now be a good little sheep and sign our new policy that says you can’t resell this game, except to us, and that Regi gets to peform certain acts with you…of the anal varitey.

Short version:  Nintendo says bend over and take it like a man.

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

11. Chaplain99 says:

So much for an unbiased article.  But I agree with Dennis; this guy needs a wake-up call.

"HEY! LISTEN!"

12. ZippyDSMlee says:

Its kinda like saying violent and gross media can warp someone who’s not warped. The reason games cost so much is because of the way the industry produces them and them sells them to the masses. Its not due to people being able to slight the process in any way since the vast majority of people buy whats being sold.

13. ZippyDSMlee says:

Its like discussion about what non profit based piracy dose to the market, if money is being saved by the consumer then they will have money to senp on what they can realistically buy nulling most if not all real world damaged caused buy it.

It dose not matter what the retail price is since its not about making normal profit its about what the industry thinks they can get out of the consumer to make excessive profit that they need not because of a lack of sells but because of the overhead they refuse to deal with.

14. Hevach says:

There’s no truthiness here. I think he knows exactly what he’s saying and why, and I think he made it pretty clear when said that used games would be better for the consumer if Nintendo made money off them. I can actually see how that might hurt me as a consumer, if Gamestop just passes the extra 10% kickback on to me and hikes used prices (or cuts trade in values).

I find it hard to believe that the man has never had a hobby. Doesn’t matter if it’s video games, model trains, or fishkeeping, a good chunk of a serious hobby involves scouring used racks for rare items or bargains. You don’t find classic trains, rare cichlid species, or obscure PS1 titles off the retail shelves – even finding them used can be a great stroke of luck.

15. Craig R. says:

It’s one thing to be political, it’s another to attempt it and come across as a complete dumbass who appears to be ignorant of the world around him.

16. Kuros says:

I do have to agree with people who mentioned that lower retail prices for new games would cause more people to consider buying new. I’m a frugal man myself and I rarely buy games at full MSRP. The last game I bought at full MSRP was The Orange Box for the PC, and even then I got it a bit cheaper from Amazon then I would have gotten it from Walmart or Gamestop.

It’s been worth the money I paid for it, but then very few games are worth $50-$60.

17. lumi says:

You know, I feel like he took a potentially valid idea and shot it in the face by answering Dean’s questions this way.  I know that not every used sale is a "stolen" new sale, but if Gamestop disappeared and people were forced to buy new if they wanted to play a game, I think enough consumers would choose to do so that the net result would be positive.

This could also mean that publishers could afford to lower the average retail price of games.  Hell, the used price of games is barely lower than the used price much of the time ($35 used DS titles, anyone?  Please…).

It’s sort of a chicken-and-egg thing: lower retail price would cause more people to buy new, more consumers choosing to buy new would allow publishers to lower retail prices…but either way, he didn’t represent what potentially valid points he could have made very well at all.

18. Nullanon says:

There are some book/series I can’t not own. But I like to read, so I can go through a book a week on average. I can’t afford to spend that much money on books. Plus, I’d need another room on my house to hold them all!

19. ZippyDSMlee says:

I dunno OOT was ok but not "great" WW was annoying but neat…not to found of TWP….. Zelda needs to get back to basics…… Take the orignail Zelda title give it a few towns, offer more unrestricted control(more like GOW,DMC,ect) with the default option on on the rail control(more like OOT).
    Then when you finish it give the option to play the mixed up version(make some towns into dungeons and vice versa) and let you start a game with one weapon and accessory of your choice.

II’d pay 50 for that or Metroid prime 1 and 2 with full button mapping.

20. ZippyDSMlee says:

Now with this in mind everyone that says they want digital download only THIS IS THE SAME THING HE IS TALKING ABOUT. and you just dissed it.
    =^_~=

21. ZippyDSMlee says:

Its not the WII can not push a well built game, its jsut the indutry dose not like making well built games that much.

22. Icehawk says:

It is so clear to me now.  We should scrape (or trade in) our 360s and PS3’s for Wii’s because they have the games we reallly want.  Wait whats that, they dont?  Um well then we should only but new games and never attempt to trade in out old games to offset the price.  Wait whats that, the 2nd hand ecomony is not in the best interest of comsumers?  Um Who again, consumers you say?

So if I am a comsumer then I would be totally wrong in thinking there is a strong 2nd (3rd etc) hand market out there?  That companies like Ebay have it all wrong.

Sigh this is like EA trying to tell us honest paying types that the SecuRom was in Our best interest as were the limited installs.

23. Kuros says:

Used books have never taken off.

*raises hand*

It’s called a library. Sure, I may not be able to keep them, or you can if you are that kind of person, but it seems like used books do just fine.

24. insanejedi says:

It’s not like I don’t hate the third parties putting out garbage on the wii. Everyone working on the wii basically doesn’t care about quality except ironically Sega and Sega’s partering developers, and look how well the’ve done. Madworld came in at 31st in the british sales charts on opening week. How sad is that?

25. MKV62591 says:

Sorry to spoil your dream world Reggie, but consumers are VERY interested in used games. Anything that can provide the same experience cheaper is in our interest. Why do you think libraries survive?

I know you are busy plastering your walls with dollar bills, but you need a dose of reality. Get out with some of the people who are paying through their teeth.

Until next time, I spotted a good USED deal I want to go buy… and save me $30.

26. ZippyDSMlee says:

Oh come on you can’t say that what mainstream supposable hard core gaming is doing that greatly with all they crap they do?

Sure nin is riding the rehash tidal wave  instead of making innovative games like metroid prime one,Zelda OOT, pikkim and others but they are truely no more inncontempt  of quality  than the supposable mainstream industry.

This is what happens when a industry gets fat and content you get a drop in quality across the board.

27. PeterWDAwson says:

Truthiness has struck again. Reggie doesn’t care about reality, he knows in his heart that was he says is true.

28. Tristram says:

Haha!

I can’t take books out of a library… I have a compulsion to own the books I read.

29. ZippyDSMlee says:

When you manage sheeple you tell them what to buy. *lick*

Hes doing whats in best intrest of business.

30. insanejedi says:

I never said that was either. But then agian I beleive there is a bunch of people cynical at Nintendo like Jeff Gertsmann said. "All these so called CORE GAMERS keep saying they want REAL games on the wii, so heres your Punch out, take it. We could do something cool with these motion controls, but no, were remaking Punchout instead. Maybe next time you can have Kid Icurus maybe!"

31. Vordus says:

I’ve been picking up used Books, CDs, Films and Games from Charity shops lately. People are not only willing to get rid of their ‘experiences’, they’re willing to give them away so that charities can make some money out of them. Hell, just last week I picked up The Dilbert Principle and REM’s Automatic for the People for about a quid each.

Most books or DVDs I buy come either second hand or heavily discounted from Amazon Marketplace.

32. Vash-HT says:

What a lying SOB, he knows there are used markets for other forms of media and he says there aren’t what aload of BS.

33. Cecil475 says:

Dear Mr. Reggie Fils-Aime,

WTF?!

"We don’t believe used games are in the best interest of the consumer."

Says who? You? Who the F*** do you think YOU are trying to speak for ME?! The only best interest is your own. You condemn used games that are sold in Gamestop or other mom and pop stores becuase you arn’t getting a piece of the action. You do not get money if I buy Super Mario 3 from Play and Trade, but you do if I buy the same game from the Wii’s virtual console. I don’t own a Wii, and do not plan on buying a Wii for the forseeable future. I am only intrested in the following consoles. The NES, SNES, and maybe the Gamecube and THAT’S IT! I am building a library of games for THOSE consoles and I doubt you are selling any NEW games for THOSE systems. And I tell you what, your ‘concerns’ for MY best interest makes me want to buy your products brand new even LESS!

"Used books have never taken off. You don’t see businesses selling used music CDs or used DVDs"

You don’t know SHIT!

I go to used bookstores and buy books. I bought one just last week. A Pierce Anthony novel. Mr. Anthony didn’t make a cent off that purchace. I don’t think Mr. Anthony nor his publisher bitched and made a fuss over it. Used music? I buy used DVD’s,CD’s,Cassettes, and yes, even vinyl! The RIAA only raises a roal stink if you download the music, but don’t give a crap that I bought it used at some small time store on Hillsborough Street. Used clothes, books,music,computers,appliances, TVs and stereos anything you can buy at a thrift or pawn shop. The original makers don’t make a fuss over not making any money over the products that are sold there. Only you, and the videogame industry.You are a greedy out of touch pig.

"Oink!! Oink!!"

– Warren A. Lewis

R.i.P GamePolitics 2005-2016

34. ZippyDSMlee says:

And under deved top heavy blaoted games that cost more are?

I’d say both are to a point.

35. Ward_Cleaver says:

I am pretty sure we all know Reggie is smarter than the comments he makes. True, he may have been caught off guard by the line of questioning, but I think it’s a little more than that: he’s being political. He’s always been a master at talking around issues so that at the end of the conversation, he really told you nothing of significance, but you’re going to print it anyway. This is his experienced way of answering the question without getting himself in trouble. Sometimes it can come off as odd, like the above.

But what is Reggie trying to avoid saying? He cant come out and say "we hate the secondary market because we dont get anything out of it, and F GameStop, Amazon and whoever else sells used games." The line of questioning forces somewhat of this truth, but there is no way Reggie wants to piss off the retailers that are selling his stuff both new AND used. He’s the one that would have to face them, not us.

So, he obfuscates and – yay – no call from Don DeMatteo saying "wtf reggie??!!"

36. SeanB says:

Books, Movies, and Music dont regularly sell for over $50, and dont depreciate 90% in a span of 24 months, either.

37. Saxy says:

Yeah, I know! Is it me, or has RFA been more talkative lately? And that’s a BAD, BAD thing.

But about the used games, I don’t see the big N having a problem. I mean, I walk into a store to buy Pokemon Ruby. The game, last I checked, still costs 25$ or more used. I could buy a NEW Pokemon game for only 5$ or 10$ more. The used game is very likely glitched or modded. The new game will much likely last longer. Which would you buy?

38. Nullanon says:

Same here.

And there’s this wonderful little store in my area. It has used books, cds, and movies, and they’re all free! All you have to do is join their little club, and you can take out a few movies, books, and cds, as often as you want, so long as you bring them back. It’s kind of like Netflix, but it’s brick and mortar.

I think they called the store "Public Library" or something similar.

39. Tristram says:

I would just like to point out that I buy books almost exclusivly from used book stores.  Just saying…

40. Kojiro says:

Reggie Fils-Aime has been added to my "Douche Bag" list.  If I kept an "Idiot" list, he would go there, too.  Heck, if he keeps talking, Nintendo will be on my blacklist as well.

41. mogbert says:

Yeah, I read this review yesterday. Normally he isn’t this bad, but this… it’s pretty bad. I buy used books all the time. Used DVD’s are a possibility, and used music for the rare time (once) I bought music (Wierd Al CD).

Truth be told, Nintendo doesn’t have as big a problem with used game sales as a lot of other people. What has really annoyed me is a lot of games are just about selling a movie experience (maybe 8 hours with little to no replay) at $60. These games get traded in quickly, GameStop gets full of them and starts offering a big discount to keep them flowing. However, a lot of Nintendo games give you 50-100 hours for $50 (not all of them).

Have you TRIED to buy a Nintendo game used? Two years after release and you are lucky if you can get it for $5 less then new. There is kind of a reason that Nintendo games keep selling and selling and selling. Shoot, they have two year old games still on the top 10 game sales of the month! And often more then one two year old game! That is just rediculous. It’s like looking at the box office takes of the weekend, and seeing The Incredibles back up there.

So I think the issue is less him having his head stuck up his ___ (although, after the used books comment…) and more with them not really giving it that much thought. They probably have a bigger problem with piracy then used games.

42. ZippyDSMlee says:

A closed pripriatory retail system that only offers stagnant prices with no option of used purchase or sale  only dose one thing, drives up prices.

43. Wolvenmoon says:

I ALWAYS buy my books used, a used book store has been my hangout since I was 8! Same owners, same everything. I’m 20 now. I’d say that’s some longevity there.

This executive needs to pull his head out of his butt and encourage a used games market – I would have never gotten into the final fantasy or sonic adventure series without one.

I will not buy securom games. http://www.wolvenmoon.com/sharedfiles/message1.jpg and http://www.wolvenmoon.com/sharedfiles/message2.jpg

44. Tammej says:

If he believes his own words, he’s probably lying to himself at some point. I used to have a lot of respect for Reggie, but it is shameful to just proclaim what’s good and what’s not, for consumers. Consumers are all different. But I have yet to meet a single person who will not and never buy something second hand.

There are many stores that sell used goods, and video games are very popular in these stores. I cannot stress enough how good that is for us customers. We can buy games at the price we deem acceptable, we can sell games we don’t want to play any longer. Imagine you’re crazy for ingame trophies and you buy every single game that offers trophies to collect, brand new. You have to be either bloody rich, a perfectionist, or oblivious to waste of money. No, those gamers will often look to trade their games or get previously owned copies, of course.

45. Sai says:

I’ve bought DVDs used. And CDS. Books, not so much, but I have taken books from a free library at the local dump. I buy used games too. Alot. Why? Because I don’t care if its brand spanking new so long as it works and I like getting things cheaper. The experience is in the game itself, not in the fact I have a shiney new disc. The only games I buy new are  the ones I absolutely can’t wait to have and get the day they come out.

So I guess my point is: make better games.

46. Vash-HT says:

Meh this reminds me of all the times people told me that Nintendo cares more about gamers than MS or Sony cause of their ‘innovative’ gameplay. In reality they care about money just as much as Sony and MS, if Reggie keeps saying garbage like this maybe people will finally realize it.

47. ZAR says:

And if his boss holds up four fingers, Reggie will tell the public that it’s actually five and that you are delusional because you don’t see the "truth". 😉

ZAR.

48. Krono says:

Resale value is a major factor when making a purchasing decision.

Only for people that can’t bear to drive the same car for 10+ years.

-Gray17

49. Austin_Lewis says:

I didn’t realize that the consumer having more money in their pockets was a bad thing.

I’ll thank Reggie to pull his head from his ass; his last two articles on here have been moronic.

50. PHOENIXZERO says:

Reggie is a complete and total tool, of course I thought that was common knowledge…

51. squigs says:

I don’t but used DVDs.  You know why?  Because I can get some reasonably recent titles fairly cheaply.  Movie studios have worked out a price structure that allows them to make a profit.  They allow the price to fall over time.

Brand new releases are expensive.  I don’t buy them until after a few months.

Game prices take forever to fall, so second hand is worthwhile.

52. squigs says:

I will suggest cars are a little different though.

Resale value is a major factor when making a purchasing decision.  People plan 3 years ahead and work out how much they can afford for their next car when making the current purchase, including estimated resell value.  Almost every used car sale translates to another car sale, eventually resultiung in a new car sale.  Essentially this means that car manufacturers do make an indirect profit from used car sales.

Game publishers do as well, to an extent, but there isn’t the near 1:1 correlation, and it’s likely that some used sales do displace new sales.

53. TBoneTony says:

I think I am willing to think that all 3 console manufacures like Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft don’t like used game sales all because they can’t make money out of it.

But if they did make money out of it, then they would be all for it.

This is just from the way I am looking at it.

Either way, Used game sales are a new thing that has been around for well over the past 5 years now.

So it is either that the publishers don’t like it because they are not getting the money from games that have already been sold by their original owners, or because they are not used to it even though there are many used car salesmen and used video retailers or even used book shops.

54. nightwng2000 says:

:: Blink ::

:: Blink ::

"Describe another form of entertainment that has a vibrant used goods market. Used books have never taken off. You don’t see businesses selling used music CDs or used DVDs. "

:: Looks at Amazon.com.  Looks at EBay.com.  Looks up "Used Book stores" on Google.  Looks up "Used DVD stores" on Google.  Looks up "Used Music CDs" on Google.  ::

:: Looks back at Nintendo dude and just shakes head. ::

Sad.  Just sad.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 has also updated his MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/nightwing2000 Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

55. AuntySocial says:

"Used books have never taken off. You don’t see businesses selling used music CDs or used DVDs."

Wow.  You must not get out much, you stupid piece of rat shit!!  Have you ever heard of Edward McKay’s   http://www.wefeedyourhead.com/wordpress/  They not only have a web presence, they have actual stores.  Yes, I said stores — you know buildings that have walls, doors, shelves, employees, lights, merchandise, etc.  The merchcandise at Edward McKay’s is used books, cds, dvds, and video games.  Now if they didn’t have any customers, they wouldn’t be in business.

Maybe you don’t see businesses selling used books, music cds, dvds or games, but again, I must counter with you don’t get out much.  I know of two more stores that do, just in Raleigh, NC.  The Reader’s Corner and Tales Resold.  Now Tales Resold sells more comics than anything, but they have plenty of books.  There are a few more, but I can’t remember the names, so won’t mention them here.  How do I know about them?  I shop at them.  I think you should get out some, not spend so much time in video games that you miss out on the real world.

PMBD http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/
    The truth about T$R http://tsr.mustbedestroyed.org/
    EA + T$R = We’re all screwed

56. Chuma says:

Maybe he could get around to making some decent new games for us to buy then?  I think House of the Dead is the first game I bought for the console since SSBB.  Very disappointing.

57. JustChris says:

Come on Reggie, I expected better than this. You talk as if boutique shops aren’t worth mentioning.

Besides, developers can think of ways to make new games more attractive to buy. The best way is to include extra content that is excusively free for first-time buyers. That usually means a one-time-use voucher for downloading additional content.

GameSnooper

58. ZippyDSMlee says:

Bethesda treats you like the commen lemming look at Oblivoin and Fallout 3 both under deved,rushed and jsut un fcking finished….

Nintendio at least finsihes the games they make most of the time.

59. Michael Chandra says:

Wait, your personal preference suddenly represents a factual quality? Sounds a bit arrogant. By far not as arrogant as Nintendo, but still.

Of course the question is if you mean a game made by Nintendo, or one made for a Nintendo device. I can imagine the first having sucky quality in general, but the entire market sounds a bit doubtful and more like a matter of personal taste.

60. Daria_C says:

I have never ever purchased a Nintendo game, and I never will. Frankly their games just aren’t up to my level of quality. In addition, it now is clear that they think their consumers are a bunch of idiots who they can force around.

If your looking for game companies that treat you well look up Bethesda, and Stardock. Both treat you like an actual person, and their games are free of stupid DRMs.

61. ChrowX says:

Sadly, yes they do, which is how stores end up with several walls full of used wii games in the first place. Nintendo should be angry at the third party developers who are making so many awful games for their system, not the customers who get pissed off that they wasted $40+ on a piece of shit.

I’ve worked at GameStop for over 2 years and in that time, I’ve seen numerous people trade in their Wii with every game they’ve ever bought claiming their kids just don’t play it any more. They usually have nothing but stupid racing games like London Taxi and Ford racing challenge. If they buy them used they can be returned within a week of purchase. If bought new, their only option is to trade in the game to get a small amount of their investment back.

62. squigs says:

I’m sure they will, but I’ve never ereally understood the argument.

Why does their cost affect what their product is worth to me?  A game is worth £{value} to me.  Charge less than £{value} and I’ll buy it.  charge more than £{value} and I won’t.  If the game costs them a penny a unit to make or a million pounds, I’m still not going to pay more than it’s worth to me.  If  they can’t make a profit at the amount I’m willing to pay I won’t buy, but it’s not my fault that their costs are too high to make a product I want at that price.

63. divisionbyzero says:

Except that when Valve adjuted prices on Steam they found that they made more money, not less. Sega made more money with a game priced at $20 (NFL2K5) than they did with one priced at $50 (NFL2K4.)

64. NovaBlack says:

I can literally name at least 3 stores  that sell used books, movies, cds and games all under one roof within 15 seconds clikcing distance of my mouse finger!

Amazon… oh oh yeah.. MASSIVE used market on there.

play.com… oh.. yeah massive used market on there…

Ebay… has Reggie not heard of ebay? ebay IS a massive used market for books, movies, CDs and games.

65. Vake Xeacons says:

Or better yet, get the gamer into a franchise they were never interested before. The latest episode was a huge hit, but I never got into the prequels. Where can I find them if not Used?

66. ZippyDSMlee says:

ack wrong post

Pretty much used stuff is easy to attaian…

67. PHX Corp says:

there are some places where I live that sell Used DVD, CD and even video games

68. E. Zachary Knight says:

Thanks for the color commentary Dennis. Love it.

I can name at least three stores that sell used books, movies, cds and games all under one roof within 15 minutes driving distance from my home. More if you count the ones that sell just one media type used.

Apparently it is bad for consumers to be able to get a return on their investment and find titles at a cheaper price or find them at all.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

69. TBoneTony says:

Like the way Nintendo were Scrooge McDucking themselves in a large pool of money when Microsoft brought RARE from them in 2002?

70. CK20XX says:

This is why Nintendo is compared to Disney so often, because they are anal, unfriendly, and seem to be run by Scrooge McDuck.

————————-

"They were retarded hairless pink bunnies, all of them. Except Shigeru Myamoto and… well, the good ones were just too /rare/ to be worth bothering about." – Mason Hornblower on the extinction of the human race

71. Cecil475 says:

"Yeah seriously.  One of my textbooks this semester was $144.00!  Damn psychology bastards, overpricing their stuff."

You too huh? Which psychology class are you taking? I found my book on half.com for $93. Includes shipping.

– Warren Lewis

R.i.P GamePolitics 2005-2016

72. finaleve says:

Thats because they try to make a bigger profit.  It’s a reason why I generally hate used game shops like Gamestop and all them.  25 should be the generic used game price.  Buy games at like 10 15 dollars and sell them for 25.  Make a 10 15 dollar profit.

73. 1AgainstTheWorld says:

"We have products that consumers want to hold onto…"

Yes, all those minigame collections for Wii.  You never see those cluttering up the used shelves at GameStop, do you.

74. JC says:

…Used books for college are virtually the norm. I don’t think Reggie bought his books…, or he conveniently forgot.

75. Ambiguous says:

I only needed two books, so I thought I was going to get off cheap this time…

76. Keddren says:

If it weren’t for used textbooks, I know more than a few people who would not have been able to afford class material.

77. Hackangel says:

Don’t you get it? You must buy every game just in case you miss out! No used games for you. After all, if everyone bought every game, there would not be a market for used games anyway.

I’m just kidding and I wish he was too.

78. HarmlessBunny says:

Wow with guys like that around…it proves that anyone can get high in executive power these days *shakes his head*

I almost feel sorry for Dean having to deal with one whose skull space is occupied more by oxygen than brain matter.

79. gamegod25 says:

Sounds to me like Ninty is letting the success of the Wii/DS go to their heads. Not since the last E3 when Ninty basically waved their **** in our face have I been this pissed off. Maybe Sony isn’t the only one that needs to hire snipers to take out anyone who says something that ****ing stupid/arrogant in public.

80. Erik says:

….

Uh… I think I must have read this article wrong.  This guy didn’t say that there isn’t a market for used books, movies, and CDs did he?  Because anyone with a car and a portion of a functional brain can find all of them within a half hours drive from one another usually.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

81. hellfire7885 says:

So once a game is no longer being printed, it should vanish off the face of the planet for good so no one else can enjoy it? If we buy a game and hate it, we should be stuck with it?

82. Alex says:

Well there goes my respect for him. Of course it was pretty much shot after this last press conference at E3. Penny Arcade summed up everything he said rather well: "We are rich as FUCK. Here’s a bunch of shit you don’t care about."

I’m not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I’m not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don’t know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

83. fetidchimp says:

I think we need to read between the lines on this one – "they aren’t in the consumers best interest………..because if it keeps going like this we will hike the prices up by another $20 you evil bastards"

84. DavCube says:

Apparently Reggie’s been living under the same rock that Thompson’s been living under to escape from the reality of his career. I can name several national chains that sell used games off the top of my head, not to numerous places i’ve seen used books, CDs, and movies i’ve seen for sale…

85. Zero Beat says:

Microsoft, Nintendo, and especially Sony game console execs: Making the dumbest, weirdest, and most hilarious public statements ever since E3 2000.

"That’s not ironic. That’s justice."

86. DeepThorn says:

I have a pitch fork and torch, I am all out of shovels.  Last one was used on the CEO of EA.

Clearly this is another executive that has no idea what the real world is like.  How do people like this get into positions like that?  If you take some kid that loves videos game off of the street you could better run some of these companies…

Nido Web Flash Tutorials AS2 and AS3 Tutorials for anyone interested.
    How to set Xbox 360 Parental Controls

87. DarkSaber says:

Someone get a shovel, this executive made a bit of amess when he spoke out of his arse!

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

88. DarkSaber says:

To which they reply that the price is what it is because piracy and the second-hand games market are eating their profits.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

89. divisionbyzero says:

The used market is more successful than it should be in the video games market because the games are too expensive. Cut the price from $60 to $20 and consumers won’t have nearly the incentive to trade in their games.

90. Praetorian says:

Well, I guess who your a big, money squandering executive, you can afford to spend fifty, sometimes sixty dollars on a game that may only last a week.

I’ve finished 90% of most of the games I’ve owned in under a week. Some of them I am very glad I didn’t pay more than thirty dollars for.

Praetorian

"I’ve been told I’m the resident skeptic, but I wouldn’t believe that."

91. PHX Corp says:

very funny commentary there(obviously mirrors MST3K), dennis

92. Krono says:

And yet Amazon.com has a link for practically every item that reads something like "Available new and used from the following sellers." Personally, I’d call that having "taken off".

-Gray17

93. sirdarkat says:

Yes there is no market for used movies who buys used Dvds; now excuse me Blockbuster is selling a bunch of dvd rentals for 5 bucks and I see a few I don’t have but I want.

Comments are closed.