September 11th Among Influences for Beyond Good & Evil Franchise

Game designer Michel Ancel has revealed the geo-political influences behind his well-regarded action-adventure Beyond Good & Evil as well as the in-development sequel.

As reported by Eurogamer, Ancel said:

It was a mix of a lot of experiences.It was a phantasm to create an adventure game, a universe too. It was the game I wanted to create for a long time.

There were a lot of inspirations: the Miyazaki universe, my own inspirations, politics and the media; the theme of September 11 – the CNN show with army messages and the fear climate. And it was a mix from other universes.

It’s different from Zelda and other titles like that; very good games but they are out of time. [BG&E] was issued of the actuality.

Ancel offered no news as to a release date or system availability for the sequel.

20 comments

guzidem says:

I never finished the game. Got to some timing puzzles that really required a game pad and I was playing mouse and keyboard (it was something where you had to alternatingly jump and duck a rotating laser while moving to the other side). I put it down for a while, but I found the game pretty darn good and a lot more… darker? then it was first shown to be.
    sac ekimi  estetik arac kiralama rent a car oto kiralama yuz estetigi Smartlipo lazerlipoliz evden eve nakliyat burun estetigi burun estetigi

shihku7 says:

I think this game’s oddball mix of messages, style and gameplay really helped to sink the game at the market. The themes of the game are all heavier stuff that most people don’t really start thinking about until they’re around 17 years of age or even much holder. This guy is talking about the media, politics, 9/11, fear… in a game where the visual style is something you’d see in a Winnie the Pooh cartoon, something that appealed to kids age 5-10..

You have a pig uncle who farts to boost himself up to places. You take pictures of fuzzy warm animals to get money. There’s a clumsy, baffoon military officer of some sort. Just a strange mix. Is the game for kids, teens, adults? All of them? Is he trying to send political messages to kids? Is that a good thing?  For me the themes of the game seemed out of place for a game that looked and played like BG&E did.

Mysticgamer says:

I can’t wait for a real trailer for Beyond Good and Evil 2. It left with a cliffhanger ending and the trailer didn’t show anything to help.

Aliasalpha says:

You might be able to get it a bit cheaper than at GOG but the GOG version is a single downloadable file, has no DRM, has server side "download as many times as you like" storage, has been configured to run on both XP & Vista, 32 & 64 bit and they have the best support staff I’ve ever dealt with. Also comes with the soundtrack, concept art, manual & wallpapers. Way better than buying it from Steam or a bargain bin.

It sounds like they’ve implanted a chip in my brain to make me a fanatical supporter but I don’t care, free will is overrated anyway.

*BZZT*

CHECK OUT GOG.COM TODAY!

*BZZT*

BearDogg-X says:

You might be able to find it new at a Dollar General store.

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

GrimCW says:

Steam also has it for $10 USD if ya already have STEAM going.

and it can be made to easily work on Vista with a few tweaks, most have had much luck (self included)

so contrary to belief, the game does work still 😛

Edit: this was supposed to be a reply to up top :/

Zaruka says:

i got this game with ubisoft classic pack sale it really good although the pc port is buggy and i had to turn off one of my core to be able to run it in normal speed, still a good game and cant wait for the 2nd one. still got to beat the frist.

Thanks Zaruka

1AgainstTheWorld says:

One of my all-time favorite games.  There’s a teaser trailer for the sequel available somewhere.  Been looking forward to it for years, since the first one ends on a real cliffhanger if you watch the end credits.  Most likely BG&E2 would be on 360, PS3, PC… Wii, probably not.

gamadaya says:

I’ve been thinking about getting this for a while now. When it first came out, it looked like your average platformer to me, and all the stupid reviewers who wouldn’t shut the hell up about nobody buying this game really put me off to it.

——————————————————–

Believe in something! Even if it’s wrong, believe in it! -Glenn Beck

ZippyDSMlee says:

Like design and themes make for most shows and series under a few people into a "universe".

Gore,Violence,Sexauilty,Fear,Emotion these are but modes of transportation of story and thought, to take them from society you create a society of children and nannys, since adults are not required.

mogbert says:

When you start the game, you think "What was all the fuss about?" But as you play, you see it’s a pretty good game with lots of stuff done right.