Video Game Bill Fuels Conservative Talk Radio in Utah

April 6, 2009 -

Gov. Jon Huntsman (R) may have vetoed HB 353, the Jack Thompson-devised video game bill, but the debate over the bill certainly hasn't ended.

Thompson recently spent two hours bashing the Guv, Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff and the video game industry on the Utah Eagle Forum Radio Show.

A caller gets into a heated argument with Thompson and the program host at about 30 minutes into the second hour. A second caller gets into it with Thompson and the host right at the end of the second hour.

Of note, we didn't hear the word "disbarred" during the two-hour program.

You can catch the program here: Hour 1   Hour 2

HB 353 sponsor Rep. Mike Morley (R) debates the merits of the bill with Sean Bersell, VP of Public Affairs on Inside Utah Politics (fast forward to 28:00).

Gayle Ruzicka, president of the Utah Eagle Forum, urges an override of Huntsman's veto on yet another episode.

Comments

Re: Video Game Bill Fuels Conservative Talk Radio in Utah

Yeah, I supose you're right about that.  The far Left is just as bad as the far Right.  I particularly hate it when the liberals paint all religious people as fundamentalist nutjobs.  I'm agnostic myself, but I don't hate people that are Christian.

While some might disagree with me, I've found most NPR programming to be moderate.  Yes, they have a slight liberal leaning, but they also seem to give equal time to opposing views.

Re: Video Game Bill Fuels Conservative Talk Radio in Utah

"Meh, I don't have the willpower to listen to 2 hours of conservative talk radio.  I'll just assume that it's a bunch of zealots yelling passionately about nothing, turning it into something, and gettting easily lead sheep all riled up.  I unfortunately have a roommate that listens to Alex Jones in the afternoons, and while it's not exactly "conservative" (more like anti-government conspiracy theory), I get the jist of what talk radio has devolved into."

It can't be too conservative, they are getting news reports from CNN. Grandmother is on the far right and won't go near CNN.

- Warren Lewis

Consumer responsibility is just as important as Corporate responsibility. So, be responsible consumers.

Re: Video Game Bill Fuels Conservative Talk Radio in Utah

Heh, you know, most game critics seem to look older and more stressed than those who don't raise a stink about it.

Re: Video Game Bill Fuels Conservative Talk Radio in Utah

Old people used to sit out on the porch and complain about how different and scary the world has become, leaving them behind.  Turns out that listening to old farts complain about those "darn kids and thier rock and roll" is good for ratings.

Re: Video Game Bills Fuels Conservative Talk Radio in Utah

More pathetic bitching and moaning from the Metropolitian Moron of Miami. Bashing a highly popular Governor is not help your cause one bit, then again the biggest detremient to said "cause" has been Thompson himself.

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra.

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Pelicans. Solidarity for the Saints = No retreat, no surrender. 2013 = Saints' revenge on the NFL. Even through the darkest days, this fire burns always.

ZippyDSMleehttp://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/04/21/2015 - 1:58pm
ZippyDSMleeMatthew Wilson: Classic shell ^_~04/21/2015 - 1:56pm
Matthew Wilson@zipp I dont like the star menu taking up the whole dam screen, so just getting the start menu back will be worth it.04/21/2015 - 11:19am
ZippyDSMleeI got a extra HDD I will take win 10 for a spin. see if tis worthwhile heck if I do not have to move colums over in Skyrims creation kit its a keeper!04/21/2015 - 10:53am
ZippyDSMleeMatthew Wilson: Been on win 8.1 a few months the only thing I do not like is compatibility issues with older programs. 10 won't fix that sadly...04/21/2015 - 10:51am
E. Zachary KnightThe US Supreme Court has ruled that the 4th Amendment does offer US citizens some protections. This is a change of pace from other 4th Amendment rulings. http://reason.com/blog/2015/04/21/supreme-court-says-police-violated-4th-a04/21/2015 - 10:35am
E. Zachary KnightNot sure on that specific. But It is slightly annoying, but it can help to clairfy on occasion.04/21/2015 - 10:13am
IvresseCan I just ask out of curiousity why people repeat the title in their shout when it clearly states it in the URL?04/21/2015 - 9:07am
E. Zachary KnightI would say that is true. It drives me nuts when games are patched. The closer the patch is to launch, the worse it is.04/21/2015 - 9:06am
PHX Corphttp://www.npr.org/2015/04/19/400829880/when-video-games-are-patched-gamers-lose-trust-in-reviews When Video Games Are 'Patched,' Gamers Lose Trust In Reviews04/21/2015 - 9:03am
IvresseWell Totalbiscuit's port report video was positively glowing about it...04/21/2015 - 4:05am
MattsworknameHey, slightly off topic, but, anyone got a good sugestion for a flight stick for elite dangerous?04/21/2015 - 12:38am
Matthew Wilson@pm intreasting the gta5 port was already good from what I have read.04/20/2015 - 9:32pm
Papa Midnighthttp://www.pcgamer.com/gta-5-pc-patch-reduces-cpu-usage/04/20/2015 - 9:00pm
PHX Corp@zippy I'm Probaly going to Warn my uncle who is a techie that it may come out at the end of july04/20/2015 - 8:45pm
Matthew Wilson@zippy I want windows 10 badly, but that is because I am stuck on 8.1 yuk. that being said the new dx12 looks very good, and the reported performance gain from it.04/20/2015 - 8:00pm
ZippyDSMleeMy body is readY! http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2015/04/20/amd-microsoft-to-launch-windows-10-at-the-end-of-july04/20/2015 - 7:54pm
PHX CorpI may have posted this before but a leaked email from Sony pictures has the MPAA written all over it http://www.extremetech.com/computing/203654-leaked-sony-emails-show-mpaas-opposition-to-fair-use-confirms-users-are-viewed-as-thieves04/20/2015 - 4:53pm
Mattsworknameyet another reason the DMCA should be dismantled and rewritten04/20/2015 - 4:41pm
Matthew Wilson@zippy that is worse than the ESA thing.04/20/2015 - 4:26pm