PETA Plans Save the Seals Event on World of Warcraft

The increasingly game-aware People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals will hold a save-the-virtual-baby-seals event in World of Warcraft at 1 P.M. EST on Saturday.

According to a post on the PETA site:

Activists from across the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor are banding together to put a stop to the atrocious seal slaughter. Anyone who slaughters baby seals for their fur must surely be in service to the evil Lich King.

You must be in the WhisperWind realm in order to fight… go to Northrend, where you will find a zone called Howling Fjord, where the baby seals live on glaciers and boats float in the fjords. This will be the battleground to stop the slaughter.

Unfortunately, casual WoW players will not be able to check the event out since characters need to be level 68+ to enter the Howling Fjord zone. One of the reasons why the Ron Paul WoW campaign rally was so successful was that it took place in a starter zone.

In addition, hardcore WoW fans have posted comments to the PETA article and its Facebook event listing pointing out other concerns:

I actually do find this somewhat ironic, as there is soooooo much animal killing involved during the levelling of your characters.

I am a little aghast that you chose Alliance; if you want to be environmental you really want to be looking at the Tauren mythology. They are one with the earth and they are very environmental. As someone who plays mostly Horde characters, this just comes off as prejudiced.

Whisperwind is NOT a pvp server, most likely you are just going to be a witness to the biggest in game seal slaughter and you will be powerless to do anything about it.

Whisperwind is already a very high population server, which means most PETA members are just going to see the queue screen like the Ron Paul people did.

Baruch_S says:

I think some people have gotten the entire affair backwards (something that is easily done with the incomplete quote).

If you look at the website, it sounds like PETA is putting together a Horde team of seal-killers and encouraging players to come and stop them. They definitely have a plan to have a group of four seal-killers to fight, and that almost certainly means that they have people running those four characters. They’re not discouraging violence against seals so much as encouraging violence against seal hunters.

Of course, the plan has serious problems. The Horde players will have nothing to do but stand around and kill seals while the Alliance guys massacre the PETA team and then kill seals while waiting for them to Rez. And once the Alliance guys flag up to attack the PETA team, the entire thing could easily devolve into a PvP rampage. Alliance flags up to attack PETA team, Horde attacks Alliance just because they have the opportunity, and nobody gives a rip about the seals anymore. Great fun, but not a very effective save-the-seals campaign.

For PETA’s plan to work, a GM would have to be there to stop PvP combat from running rampant, and even then people will just kill the seals for fun unless they get banned for that, too. Since Blizzard doesn’t seem to be in on the plan (absolutely no mention of it on their website, and PETA doesn’t mention any affiliation), I don’t know why they’d really bother sending GMs to make sure PETA’s plans work out. It would just be a big hassle for them, and the PvP-ers and seal-killers wouldn’t be doing anything wrong. Personally, I’m hoping PETA doesn’t have any help and that this turns into a PvP and seal-killing fiasco with some nice videos on Youtube.

Attack_Gypsy says:

Technically, you’re not locked out of Outlands either. You just can’t go through the Dark Portal until level 58. There are other ways to get there.

Yes, I am a liberal. I also believe in a strong military, less government, and the right to bear arms. ~ Me Calling an illegal alien an undocumented worker is like calling a crack dealer an unlicensed pharmacist. ~ Me

GoodRobotUs says:

I just killed over 200 Cows, Bull, Donkeys, Mules and Muskoxes in Dwarf Fortress, I might be a bad person, but at least my fortress won’t go hungry for a year or two 😉

Arell says:

I wonder what PETA’s reaction to Overlord 2 will be.  Apparently, your minions can club baby seals.  Admitedly, this is just to prove how evil your minions are, but still…

djnforce9 says:

Yeah. Either the seals are spawned as "invulnerable" or for certain they will be slaughtered repeatedly given the number of people that dislike PETA. I have a feeling seals are just "critters" so it’s unlikely they can attack back and they will have very low HP (especially for level 68+ characters).

The only way this could work the way PETA wants it to is if they:

1. have some GMs oversee the event and kick or temporarily ban anyone who tries to attack the seals (which could be a lot of people from the sounds of it and good luck banning EVERYONE within sight).

2. Spawn the seals in a completely unreachable area so that they can only be "seen" and not "approached".

If it was a PvP server though, then PETA would be even worse off because their characters would probably be slain several times in the process as well (unless they were given beefed up equipment and/or a ton of bodyguard avatars).

Jyrrah says:

I hope that some of the members of the Horde will flag themselves while they slaughter the seals. I then hope the PETA protesters are stupid enough to attack them. And if all that occurs my final hope is a Horde priest is there and Mind Controls one of the PETA protesters then proceeds to use them to kill the seals. I’d love a video of that.

axiomatic says:

So I hear it takes the signatures of only one family member and two personal friends to have someone committed to a mental hospital.

We should start now…

Gift says:

So killing Dogs in COD is bad, but subscribing to a game where animals are nothing more than a resource and XP mine is good?

Only PETA, Only PETA…

Wish they were doing this on Suramar so I could join in the fun of slaughtering virtual seals as they watch, unable to do anything about it as I taunt them…. Idiots.

Alex says:

GP, I’m about 90% positive that, unlike Outland, you can actually go to Howling Fjord at any level, rather than being locked out of Northrend until level 68 the way you were with Outland until level 58.

Going there and expecting to SURIVE on low-level characters, at least outside of towns, is a different story entirely of course.

I’m not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I’m not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don’t know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

hellfire7885 says:

I was praying they’d have a presense on Farstriders. I’d love to get over there and commence virtual seal killing while they spam /rude at me.

Hell, show up mounted and with a pet in tow, two if you’re a hunter or a warloc kwith a Felhound. Odds are you’ll beat them there, as I think they’d coutn the mounts as animal enslavement. Likely the same reason none are using tauren.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

*looks up from reading newspaper*

Oh, it’s just PETA being dumbasses again.

*goes back to newspaper*

HarmlessBunny says:

If PETA had more than a single brain-cell (even that is up to debate) , they would have done it over multiple servers to get people to go. One server in a 68+ area, on a dense server where people wait on the queue to get in…would it not make sense to span over several servers to get that message across? ( I guess PETA’s budget only managed to level up a few toons on that server. Afterall looks like majority of their budget was spent euthanizing animals in their own care.)

I doubt the nutcases will get the response they were hoping for…and I am hoping that the GM’s of the server would do like nightwing suggested…crank up the Seals on super aggressive and have the animals kill PETA 😛

Hevach says:

They are yellow, and only fight if engaged by a player.

It should be noted, however, that of the two quests involving these seals, only one involves killing a single seal. The other is to save them, not kill them.

Pirate activity in the area has stressed the seal population, and they are no longer breeding. The Kalu’ak (a race of walrus people that live along the coast of Northrend) depend on the seals for their survival. So they pay players five gold and 250 reputation if they help coax the seals to mate.

I will admit that after several weeks of playing walrus matchmaker, I finally hit exalted, bought my epic fishing pole, and then proceeded to beat every seal in the zone to death with said fishing pole. But… I mean, I recieved no meaningful reward for doing so.

Attack_Gypsy says:

They’re probably yellow, which means they’re not agressive, but they will fight if attacked.

And considering the P.E.T.A. questline inside joke that is in the Borean Tundra area, its kinda funny. If it was a PVP realm, I’d transfer one of my 80 Horde characters over there just to grief them.

thefremen says:

Yeah just like any non-critter animal the seals will fight back at you. I’ve had that happen with seals and other animals when using AOE against aggro mobs.

nightwng2000 says:

If the seals can be attacked, does that mean they can attack YOU?  I didn’t get very far into the game before I had to stop for financial reasons.  But I don’t remember being able to attack anything that couldn’t attack you.

Would be funny if the WoW designers suddenly jacked up the seals to attack their "defenders" and it was PETA that was massacred by the very creatures they want to "protect".

This makes me think of the ER episode where the guy wanted to save a Thanksgiving turkey from "abuse", only to have the turkey attack him.  Which he promptly killed.  :)

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 has also updated his MySpace page: Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as

Attack_Gypsy says:

Mutated horses? What mutated horses in the blood elf starting area. There aren’t any.

Dragoon1376 says:

If only… then I’d be rolling a DK on that server and prepping for Sat.

First secure an independent income, then practice virtue. -Greek Proverb

Godkarmachine says:

How do you level up in WoW without killing at least one animal? In fact, every starting quest calls for the slaughter of some poor animal. Unless they skipped all the quests and killed humanoids and skeletons.

– Stand back! I have an opinion, and I’m not afraid to use it.

Dragoon1376 says:

Hey Dennis,

Just a little clarification: there’s nothing stopping a level 1 from hopping on the boat to Northrend and showing up in the Howling Fjord… it’s just likely that you’re going to be eaten by animals on the way to the event.  That I think is the irony of the situation.

First secure an independent income, then practice virtue. -Greek Proverb

Praetorian says:

Wow, lame.

It would seem that PETA has even less of a life than I do! Nothing like being too lazy to get up off your ass and protest seal clubbing in real life.

Besides, they will respawn! LOSERS!

"If you sit by the river long enough, you will see the body of your enemy floating by."

Ganjookie says:

I got a good laugh at this.  Kinda wished I played WOW for this event instead of EQ2.  I will be killing as many deer and other non aggro animals, including "sea kittens" as I can on that day though.

Trevor Gray

Awol says:

So what are they going to do? Sit there and spam the say and general channels while people have fun and kill virtual seals cause they can. Appearently its not a PvP server so they can’t do anythingn about it and even then they couldn’t stop people on the same side. Talk about a failed protest unless of coruse PETA wants in game footage of people killing virtual seals for some PR event in the future.

— Jay Clark President of the Washington D.C. Area ECA Chapter

TK n Happy Ness says:

All the WoW players who have a character with a level that high should go and kill those PETA supporters ala "Make Love, Not Warcraft".

When Jack Thompson runs his mouth, does anyone really care what he has to say anymore?