Austin Mayoral Candidate Wants to Attract Video Game Companies

A mayoral candidate in Austin, Texas has made attracting game developers and other creative media types a key part of his campaign platform.

Brewster McCracken (D) mentions attracting game developers in response to the Austin American-Statesman’s request for candidates to outline their vision for the city.

McCracken, currently a member of Austin’s City Council, sees game development as a way to help the city weather the recession:

Starting with a vision of independent film, independent music and 3-D animation leadership in digital media… We will need elected leaders to personally recruit creative economy employers. We will need expanded incentives to recruit films and TV series. We will need to recruit video game and music publishers and firms with expertise in digital media distribution to empower local creative artists.

GP: We should mention that Austin already has a thriving game development community. McCracken wants to attract additional talent to the city.

DarkSaber says:

Couldn’t the headline for this article just as easily be ‘Politician says stuff to get votes’?

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Possibly. Greg must be pleased. Then again, power like that is hard to come by. Perhaps he’d fit right in with the Azure Knighthood.

DarkSaber says:

Ahh, would this be the rumoured KOTOR MMO?

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

DarkSaber says:

Would that be the same BioWare that made that despicable sex-a-thon filth-fest Mass Effect?

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Conejo says:

They’re lucky to have BioWare Austin there as a good example rather than, say, Rockstar.

Austin’s always been pretty progressive and pro-tech so this isn’t much of a surprise, though.

Here are we — and yonder yawns the universe.

revertedtozero says:

He’d get my vote! Stuff like that would work here in the UK if it weren’t for Crazy Keith.

We’re all outta PIE! and adult comic books! and i’ve misplaced my Turbografix!!!