Madden Retires From Broadcasting

April 16, 2009 -

It's not exactly a video game story, but John Madden has announced his retirement from broadcasting televised NFL games.

NBC Sports broke the news this morning. In a statement, Madden explained his reasons for making the move:

It’s time. I’m 73 years old.  My 50th wedding anniversary is this fall. I have two great sons and their families and my five grandchildren are at an age now when they know when I’m home and, more importantly, when I’m not…

It’s been such a great ride… the NFL has been my life for more than 40 years, it has been my passion – it still is...  I still love every part of it – the travel, the practices, the game film, the games, seeing old friends and meeting new people… but I know this is the right time.

Inside Bay Area reports that Madden will continue to do a local radio show on KCBS.

It is unknown how - or whether - the legendary coach and broadcaster's retirement will affect the best-selling Madden NFL video game.

Comments

Re: Madden Retires From Broadcasting

Well codemasters didnt let a little thing like Colin McRae dying get in the way of their franchise, so I doubt that Maddon retiring will get in the way of EAs franchise.

Re: Madden Retires From Broadcasting

I will play the John Madden "BOOM!" remix in his honor.

John Madden "BOOM!" remix

GameSnooper

Re: Madden Retires From Broadcasting

He retired because Farve is gone. Duh...

-- Homicide-free gamer since 1989

-- Homicide-free gamer since 1981

Re: Madden Retires From Broadcasting

More bad news for EA. Too bad so sad! They will be desperate to keep his name in the title. Having said that, there is no mention whether he is done with commentating in the games. Anyone actually consider the fact he makes so much money off the video game that he can retire from the actual realtime commentary job? Again, this is the last thing EA needs right now.

My sites Buy Netbook Vancouver Traffic Tel Domain

Re: Madden Retires From Broadcasting

Maybe they'll take a year or 2 off, and focus on releasing new rosters and DLC for existing Madden games.

---You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

---You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

Re: Madden Retires From Broadcasting

FInally the blaoted whiny bastard retirres... mabye I can have his job.......  :P

Gore,Violence,Sexauilty,Fear,Emotion these are but modes of transportation of story and thought, to take them from society you create a society of children and nannys, since adults are not required.

---

Re: Madden Retires From Broadcasting

Yeah, while we're at it let's change the name of the Corvette, the Big Mac, and Final Fantasy.

As much as I dislike John Madden and EA, I don't think it will be changed anytime soon.

Re: Madden Retires From Broadcasting

See ya, John. Been fun.

"Tough actin' Tinactin." ROFLCOPTER

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------

"A Chrono Trigger is anything that unleashes its will or desire to change history!" -Gaspar

Re: Madden Retires From Broadcasting

I hope it will force EA to change the title at least. Afterall, it won't be arealistic football experience if you have the voice oand name of a retired sports announcer in the game.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: Madden Retires From Broadcasting

Personally I think they should keep it, for the name is inseparably intertwined with the history of the series (plus think of brand recognition, won't some please think of the brand recognition).

E. Zachary KnightYes, but it has never been confirmed as in development, or even pre-production.09/02/2014 - 2:21pm
MaskedPixelanteBlack Panther's been on the short list for a while.09/02/2014 - 2:18pm
E. Zachary KnightIt is possible that Stan Lee mispoke. I don't think he knows everything Marvel movies. But it is a sweet idea if true.09/02/2014 - 2:04pm
Andrew EisenSo says Stan Lee who almost certainly wouldn't know.09/02/2014 - 2:04pm
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.cinemablend.com/new/Marvel-Black-Panther-Movie-Confirmed-By-Stan-Lee-66993.html Black Panther is apparently getting a movie. And maybe one for Black Widow, even though I think it's too late for her.09/02/2014 - 1:53pm
Cheater87Look what FINALLY came to Australia uncut! http://www.gamespot.com/articles/left-4-dead-2-gets-reclassified-in-australia/1100-6422038/09/02/2014 - 6:49am
Andrew EisenHence the "Uh, yeah. Obviously."09/02/2014 - 12:53am
SleakerI think Nintendo has proven over the last 2 years that it doesn't.09/02/2014 - 12:31am
Andrew EisenSleaker - Uh, yeah. Obviously.09/01/2014 - 8:20pm
Sleaker@AE - exclusives do not a console business make.09/01/2014 - 8:03pm
Papa MidnightI find it disappointing that, despite the presence of a snopes article and multiple articles countering it, people are still spreading a fake news story about a "SWATter" being sentenced to X (because the number seems to keep changing) years in prison.09/01/2014 - 5:08pm
Papa MidnightAnd resulting in PC gaming continuing to be held back by developer habits09/01/2014 - 5:07pm
Papa MidnightI find it disappointing that the current gen of consoles is representative of 2009-2010 in PC gaming, and will be the bar by which games are released over the next 8 years - resulting in more years of poor PC ports (if they're ever ported)09/01/2014 - 5:06pm
Andrew EisenMeanwhile, 6 of Wii U's top 12 are exclusive: Mario 3D World, Nintendo Land, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, Wonderful 101, and ZombiU. (Wind Waker HD is on the list too but I didn't count it.)09/01/2014 - 4:36pm
Andrew EisenLikewise, only two of Xbox One's top 12 are exclusive: Dead Rising 3 and Ryse: Son of Rome (if you ignore a PC release later this year).09/01/2014 - 4:34pm
Andrew EisenNot to disrespect the current gen of consoles but I find it telling that of the "12 Best Games For The PS4" (per Kotaku), only two are exclusive to the system: Infamous: Second Son and Resogun.09/01/2014 - 4:30pm
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/01/beyond-two-souls-ps4-trophies-emerge-directors-cut-reported/ MMM MMM, nothing quire like reheated last gen games to make you appreciate the 400 bucks you spent on a new console.09/01/2014 - 4:24pm
Andrew EisenThat's actually a super depressing thought, that a bunch of retweeters are taking that pic as an illustration of the actual issue instead of an example of a complete misunderstanding of it.09/01/2014 - 4:20pm
Andrew EisenObviously, the picture was created by someone who doesn't understand what the issue actually is (or, possibly, someone trying to satire said misunderstanding).09/01/2014 - 4:10pm
Papa MidnightPeople fear and attack what they do not understand.09/01/2014 - 4:04pm