Hindu Protest Widens Against India’s First PS2 Game

An American Hindu leader’s protest against India’s first homegrown console game appears to be gaining momentum.

As GamePolitics reported last week, U.S.-based Hindu spokesman Rajan Zed criticized Aurona Technologies’ Hanuman: Boy Warrior for supposedly trivializing the Hindu deity.

Zed’s protest against the critically-slammed PS2 title has gained support among Australian Hindus, according to a press release issued by Vamsi Krishna of Australia:

[The game is] very disrespectful, disgraceful and an insult to all those devotees of Lord Hanuman and followers of Hindu dharma.

[Sony should] remove this video game with immediate effect from the market before this causes further unrest in the Hindu community worldwide and issue an apology to all those who have been hurt by this insensitiveness.

Meanwhile, Indian site TopNews reports comments by SCEE spokesperson Atindriya Bose who said that Sony has not yet worked out its response to the protests:

Hindus in Australia and USA have started this movement and posted their requests on the web. Till this time, there has been no direct communication with the said groups and we haven’t received any intimation from them officially.

Since we are not aware of [the protesters’] exact point of objection, we are in no position to comment on our plan of action. However, we are keeping a tab of the situation and hope to resolve it soon.

JustChris says:

I think it’s more due to the fact that you can control a deity or some other divine figure, and some people find that unsettling. Whereas with passive media like TV and books, it is only a re-telling of the religious history without your influence.

JustChris says:

Judging by the few, but negative reviews of the game, this game sounds like it was designed by marketing types with little imagination and less regard to quality in the essence of finishing on the deadline.

But this is only the company’s first commercial game, so things may pick up for them in the future and management would be less of a nuisance. You know, actually let producers and game designers do the designing.

bugashi says:

Hmm… Aside from MegaTen, Hamlet 2, Dogma, and Super Mecha Death Christ 2000 (not to mention South Park), I think Sony should ignore the protests. What can I say, aside from "equal oppertunity".

GoodRobotUs says:

This is going to be one of thse situations isn’t it, where thousands of people complain about something that they didn’t even know they were offended at until someone else told them to be.

Kind of like the Johnathon Ross/Russell Brand debacle in the UK, the first time it showed, 6 people complained, once it hit the headlines, 15,000 people watched the re-run and then complained…

sirdarkat says:

I think it boils down to the medium, the world views books and movies as a form of art a form of expression something that can have a purpose to bring enlightenment and expose you to new ideas; where as games are just for fun and therefore childish.

Wormdundee says:

This game was MADE in India, correct? I have yet to hear any uproar coming out of India about this, and it would seem that the place with the highest concentration of Hindus would be the most likely area to have someone be offended by this?

There’s also the fact that there has already been a cartoon made about Hanuman as posted by sirdarkat and kojiro. And the review linked to raves about how great it is, and how Hanuman is ‘so cute’. Also, that they’re planning to sell shirts with the Hanuman character from the cartoon. If that isn’t disrespect of the religion, how is a videogame?

Neeneko says:

My guess would be that they have, but starting with a common piece of cultural knowledge is usually a good starting point since it is an automatic hook.

This may seem like a dickish question, but have Indian game companies thought of making games not based in Hinduism? Obviously I’m not saying they should back down from this bullshit outrage, but as a business it seems like they might want to expand their creative options.

JustChris says:

Some Hindus were only slightly annoyed by SCE’s press release of the game for describing the source material as "mythological" since believers wouldn’t consider their god(s) to be myths.

A-wel Cruiz says:

I’d be very interested to know how many of these people complaining have actually played the game in question, or even seen gameplay footage. I’m guessing not many.

It’s like when they asked Joe Leiberman if he ever played Night Trap. He said, "I don’t need to play it, it’s filth!"

Also, when will we hear from the INDIAN Hindus on this, since India is the only place where the game is, y’know, available? This is like the American flap of those Denmark PSP ads all over again.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

No, it’s not. Methinks they meant insensitivity.

"The sun ever rises on the morrow. There’s little we can do but live for today, and trust that other days will follow." -Anonymous

Daidoji_Tangen says:

It’s just certain American and Australian Hindu groups trying come up with a false issue in order to raise money and promote their causes.  A non-issue like this is is perfect. Let’s look at a couple of things:

1. There are many ultra-Hindus still India.  People still get hanged for marrying outside of caste. The Dalits (untouchables) still suffer horribly.  http://www.ambedkar.org/

So the logical point is, if they’re not upset by the video game, how offensive can it really be?

2. Let’s face it. It could be a lot worse.  How many games have a pseudo-Christian church as the ultimate villian?  How many games do you actually fight/kill God?  Video games haven’t been exactly friendly with religion.  Frankly, when it comes video games if your religion doesn’t come off as the festering pit of humanity that corrupts the world, you should be happy.

3. Does anyone see a group Indians developing a game that is offensive?  I mean if they are not Hindu themselves (which they probably are), they’ve grown up with it enough to know what the general populance would find offensive.

sirdarkat says:

Yes those people in another country who released the game only in their country need to respect our religion which is technically theirs and in fact if you want to even be more technical who better to decide what is wrong or right for our religion then the very regions it was birthed from.

Ah it reminds me of the Muslims and the cartoons just you know without the rocks and burning of course there is still time; there is still hope.

I will say this it does make me proud to see Hindus in America embracing the American way pushing their beliefs off on everyone else and making demands.  I just get … so … I can’t go on excuse me I have something in my eyes.

zel says:

crazy people are crazy.

I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.