For Earth Day, National Geographic Launches Green Casual Game

Today is Earth Day and National Geographic is celebrating with the launch of Plan It Green, a city building sim with an appropriately environmental theme.

National Geographic is touting the new offering as "the first green casual game." A description on the Plan It Green website sketches out the details:

As the Mayor of Greenville, players have the opportunity to create a green city… As mayor of your hometown, you have vowed to bring about a new green future by changing the ways of the past,. You are working with close supporters to restore Greenvile to its former glory and beauty.

Watch as Greenville transforms before your eyes as you build eco-homes, apply green upgrades and bring new clean jobs and industry to your hometown!  Plan It Green is the first game that leverages the resources of National Geographic, an organization that was green when green wasn’t cool.

Features of the game include:

• Improving 8 neighborhoods across 45 levels
  • Upgrading the town with parks, eco-homes and environmental upgrades
  • Building eco-friendly houses, stores and businesses
  • Picking the latest eco-upgrades
  • Monitor your Greendex as you track towards a more sustainable environment

A free demo is available. The full version of Plan It Green sells for $19.95.

Weatherlight says:

1. They smell bad

2. Um, ya… its to cold here for that

3. No room for that

4. I do not support terrorism

5. Yep I can do that.

6. Ya… I have to go to work.

7. Talk about a stupid idea, cows taste yummy.

8. I think I could find some pledges from one of the frats that I can make green.

9. Ya… Lost that with turning on the laptop

10. Not happening, that involves to much mental effort

So 5 it is, I am going to take a nap.

Adrian Lopez says:

It’s nice to know the planet will be fine, but I’m far more concerned about humanity’s survival. Like Carlin says above: "The planet is fine. The PEOPLE are fucked."

I point that out just in case you’re reading more into Carlin’s rant than is warranted.

ZAR says:

To quote the late great George Carlin:

"We’re so self-important. So self-important. Everybody’s going to save something now. "Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those snails." And the greatest arrogance of all: save the planet. What? Are these fucking people kidding me? Save the planet, we don’t even know how to take care of ourselves yet. We haven’t learned how to care for one another, we’re gonna save the fucking planet?

I’m getting tired of that shit. Tired of that shit. I’m tired of fucking Earth Day, I’m tired of these self-righteous environmentalists, these white, bourgeois liberals who think the only thing wrong with this country is there aren’t enough bicycle paths. People trying to make the world save for their Volvos. Besides, environmentalists don’t give a shit about the planet. They don’t care about the planet. Not in the abstract they don’t. Not in the abstract they don’t. You know what they’re interested in? A clean place to live. Their own habitat. They’re worried that some day in the future, they might be personally inconvenienced. Narrow, unenlightened self-interest doesn’t impress me.

Besides, there is nothing wrong with the planet. Nothing wrong with the planet. The planet is fine. The PEOPLE are fucked. Difference. Difference. The planet is fine. Compared to the people, the planet is doing great. Been here four and a half billion years. Did you ever think about the arithmetic? The planet has been here four and a half billion years. We’ve been here, what, a hundred thousand? Maybe two hundred thousand? And we’ve only been engaged in heavy industry for a little over two hundred years. Two hundred years versus four and a half billion. And we have the CONCEIT to think that somehow we’re a threat? That somehow we’re gonna put in jeopardy this beautiful little blue-green ball that’s just a-floatin’ around the sun?

The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through all kinds of things worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles…hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worlwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages…And we think some plastic bags, and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet…the planet…the planet isn’t going anywhere. WE ARE!"

Happy Earth Day!

DarkSaber says:

Our weather experts are detecting massive build-ups of smug in the atmosphere!

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Master_E says:

Ahhh… Earth Day. Can you all feel the subtle changes in today’s atmosphere? All the extra pretentiousness? I’m pretty sure, as these graphs I’ll pull out of my ass will confirm, that it’s attracting space aliens that will arrive 40 or so years from now. If we care about our children’s childrens futures, we’ll stop now!

Austin_Lewis says:

Earth Day: because if hippies don’t have something to whine about while not contributing to society, they wouldn’t be contributing at all.

Seriously though, this is some idiotic and pandering crap.  You know what the original institutor of Earth Day in ’70 said?  That we need to stop immigration into the states and maintain a ‘zero population growth’ rate.  Yeah, that’s awesome, we can be just like China.

You want to make the world cleaner?  Let’s all push for nuclear power.