Louisiana Legislators Mull Retention of Game Biz Tax Breaks

April 27, 2009 -

Jack Thompson's recently-introduced bill isn't the only video game issue under consideration by Louisiana lawmakers.

As reported by the Shreveport Times, legislators will consider whether to renew tax incentives for video game, movie and other digital media firms.

Rep. Barbara Norton (D, at eft) argues in favor of retaining such incentives:

EA Sports... is planning to open an office in the Baton Rouge area because of the digital tax credit. EA Sports will bring high paying jobs and provide an economic boost to the Baton Rouge economy...

We should keep our state incentives to attract high paying, high tech jobs... The Texas legislature is introducing tax incentives to try and pull more film productions from Shreveport back to Texas. Right now Texas cannot compete with us as to incentives Louisiana offers... however they are trying to fix that now.

Gov. Bobby Jindal (R) reportedly favors maintaining tax breaks for digital media producers.

Comments

Re: Louisiana Legislators Mull Retention of Game Biz Tax ...

I guess Thompson just wants to go to each state until he's laughed out in all 50 states. Oh well givs his credibility that slow painful death. (Not that he had much to begin with)

In Scapegoats We Trust

"With free speech either all of it is ok or none of it is." Kyle Broflovski

Re: Louisiana Legislators Mull Retention of Game Biz Tax Breaks

I think I've come up with the reasons JT keeps trying to push this type of legislation.  Gamers are old enough to get voted into various government positions.  The older we get the more of us will be in place to defeat this type of legislation.  He's trying to get it passed before that can happend.

Just my two cent's worth.

High Tech Redneck

High Tech Redneck

Re: Louisiana Legislators Mull Retention of Game Biz Tax ...

I just thought he was stupid.

"De minimus non curat lex"

"De minimus non curat lex"

Re: Louisiana Legislators Mull Retention of Game Biz Tax Breaks

I'm still left gobsmacked over how a JT-authored bill made it anywhere in Louisiana after the what, $91K they spent defending the last one? Another one is sure to make these new attractive revenue sources for the state leery of setting up shop.

Re: Louisiana Legislators Mull Retention of Game Biz Tax ...

Hot lady

Re: Louisiana Legislators Mull Retention of Game Biz Tax Breaks

Yeha, Louisiana has some really great tax incentives. It would be a shame to make them less attractive.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

MattsworknameBIG: how does that make sense?08/05/2015 - 12:18am
Big PermLenny Kravitz penis has been trending all day08/04/2015 - 11:45pm
MattsworknameSo far, Win 8 gave me nothing but problems08/04/2015 - 11:18pm
MattsworknameI;ll see what I can come up with tomarow08/04/2015 - 11:16pm
ZippyDSMleethose is the issue.08/04/2015 - 10:47pm
ZippyDSMleeOdd, even with admin? I have UAC turned off so I do not have to fuss with it too much, also in order to run FO3/NV you need DX,VC++ 010, mmm might try and download VC++ distro pack both 32 and 64bit from 8 to 2012 or so and isntall them see if one of thos08/04/2015 - 10:46pm
MattsworknameTried that 2 zippy, it still wouldn't work08/04/2015 - 10:43pm
ZippyDSMleeI have had to run NV in compatibility mode before. I have both FO3 and NV running fine with a bunch of mods on win8.108/04/2015 - 10:24pm
MattsworknameI did the direct x 9 fix, issue remains08/04/2015 - 10:13pm
MattsworknameI've had issues with it since the start really, as soon as I tried to run it on Win 8.1, vegas woudl crash as soon as i launched it, even when using the base game08/04/2015 - 10:12pm
MattsworknameManta: I run into issues the moment I try to use any mods. and some times even no mods08/04/2015 - 10:09pm
MattsworknameChris ray gun on the gawker media scandel from a few weeks back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGv0KTV9IM08/04/2015 - 10:08pm
black mantaFunny, Matt. I've been able to run it from Steam no problem.08/04/2015 - 10:02pm
Big PermDo you need Directx 9.0c still? Should be a manual download for win 7/808/04/2015 - 9:55pm
MattsworknameBlack manta; I've been trying to get vegas and 3 to work on windows 8 for months and no method I tries fixed it manta08/04/2015 - 9:53pm
Big PermOh wow, yeah cleared my entire history and now suggestions are subs instead08/04/2015 - 9:15pm
Big PermI think you can mecha. Unless it's just removing it from your UI and still tracking it behind the scenes08/04/2015 - 9:11pm
MechaTama31It would be nice if Youtube just let you delete a video from your history, like Netflix does.08/04/2015 - 9:09pm
black mantaF3 and NV have long been since fixed. They run great on Windows 8 and 8.1. And there's also the Unofficial Patch for F3 and the Mission Mojave patch for NV in case they don't.08/04/2015 - 9:05pm
MattsworknameYeah Big, but for those who had the game for long times, it is to late for that08/04/2015 - 8:43pm