Report: Sony Agrees to Look Into Hindu Complaints About PS2 Game

The U.S.-based Hindu leader who initiated what has turned into a multinational Hindu protest against a PlayStation 2 game sold in India claims that Sony has agreed to look into the issue.

As GamePolitics reported last week, Rajan Zed (left) criticized Hanuman: Boy Warrior for trivializing the Hindu faith. The game was developed by an Indian firm, Aurona Technologies Limited.

In a press release issued earlier today Zed writes:

Replying to the communiqué of Bhavna Shinde of Forum for Hindu Awakening, Keita Sanekata of Sony Electronics Inc wrote, “We will review this issue, and get back to you as soon as possible.”
Advancing the protest spearheaded by acclaimed Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, Shinde earlier wrote Sanekata to “look into withdrawing this game and publishing an apology, so as to prevent further denigration of our Deity Sree Hanuman and intensifying of our protests…"

Zed is president of Universal Society of Hinduism, a group which also apparently protested the 2008 Mike Meyer film The Love Guru.

Ryno says:

So let me get this straight: the game was made BY Hindus, for Hindus, and yet it’s somehow Sony’s problem? Did Sony even publish it; or is it just because it’s on their platform?

Frankly, if I were Sony I’d say, "Shove it, it’s not our problem."

And note that it’s only self-righteous blowhards who want attention in the US and Australia who claim to be offended by it. The only thing anyone in India seems to care about is the poor quality of the gameplay.

Saying that Jack Thompson is impotent is an insult to impotent men everywhere. They’ve got a whole assortment of drugs that can cure their condition; Jack, however…

Black Patriot says:

I do agree with you, that an atmosphere of mutual respect can only be a good thing, but I do have to ask, should we respect their wishes when they don’t respect ours?

Complaining that we’ve been disrespectful can be a legitimate point, however they also don’t take into account that different people have different ideas on what is and isn’t disrespectful, and I do wonder if any of these people have played the games they whine about.

I don’t think its fair to criticize something you’ve never seen/heard/played, as so many opinion groups do. Besides freedom of expression has to count for something, no one should be censored just because someone gets offended by what they’re saying.

Wormdundee says:

People seem to think they have the right to not be offended as they go about their day.

I feel exactly the way you do Zerodash. I just don’t understand the impact it has on THEIR lives when some random person makes something that offends them. It has no tangible effect on them at all. And if the ‘offensive portrayal’ of your deity actually does have tangible effects on your life, you are already seriously fucked up.

Zerodash says:

Seriously.  I’m reaching a breaking point over religious people being offended and expecting the entire world to change to make them feel better.

Wolvenmoon says:

Hey! Welcome to the free world. Your religion, like mine, will not be tolerated, respected, or even dignified. Peaceful protests are great! They won’t get anywhere. You could call a boycott against people that bash your religion. That’s never worked either.

Or you could join the good fight in pointing out that everyone has a faith, everyone has bias, and everyone has a belief on spirituality. Even the so-called atheists have faith in Nothing. They place their faith in random chaos building up a complex system of physics, life, etc with concrete, ordered laws of existence.

I wonder what they’ll do, become violent like many nutcases do, or become ‘loud’ like Christians and Jews are. It’s surprising how much simple words can do.

I will not buy securom games. and

Daidoji_Tangen says:

He just wants to stir things up.  Groups like his get more money when their group is being "persecuted."  If they are not, simply make something up.

DCOW says:

It is a sad day when any religion wants games to be removed because of thier "religious content"

come on. you are human. we made a game about you, and in the paraphrased words of dennis miller "I think so little about your beliefs and everything that I don’t want to shelter you, I want you to be equal and equal treatment includes video games. come play"

DarkSaber says:

He’s bragging about getting an auto-reply?

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

zel says:

are the indian hindus in on it now, or not yet?

I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.