Columnist Equates Violent Games With Acceptance of Torture

With the national debate over the use of torture raging on, could a steady diet of violent entertainment color some Americans’ view of what has euphemistically been dubbed "enhanced interrogation"?
Writing for the liberal-leaning Huffington Post, Kari Henley opines:

If we are going to truly come to terms with abiding by moral codes against extreme acts of violence, we first have to start in our own living rooms… We say we "don’t f**#$ torture," yet Grand Theft Auto is our favorite video game.
Let’s face it: Americans are repeatedly exposed to serious scenes of violence when we go out to the movies, watch nightly TV shows, or unwind with video games, all of which drastically decrease overall sensitivity to violence.

To be fair, Henley’s views on the supposed desensitizing effects of violent entertainment appear to come primarily from the claims of longtime video game critic Dave Grossman. After spending a few paragraphs on violent TV and movies, Henley returns to video games:

-Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics Correspondent Andrew Eisen…

jedidethfreak says:

Socialism is just a watered-down communism, meant to make the people feel as though they still have some amount of power and wealth, when they really don’t.  At least communism is honest enough to let the peons know that they can’t get ahead.

Freedom of speech means the freedom to say ANYTHING, so long as it is the truth. This does not exclude anything that might hurt someone’s feelings.

hayabusa75 says:

No, but he was in critical condition for a while there.  He made a complete recovery about a month later after some physical therapy.

Thanks for asking

"De minimus non curat lex"

BrandonL337 says:

There have always been motherf*ckers, there will always be motherf*ckers, but what we can’t do is let them control our motherf*cking lives. -John Oliver, December 1st, 2008

BrandonL337 says:

Fuck you.

Erik says:

No I really think that the soldiers’ and police officers’ reflexes involve a little more than thumbing a gamepad.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

mdo7 says:

LOL.  Yeah, I know what’s she probably going to blame on next:

-World War 3 and no nuclear weapon, Tom Clancy’s Endwar is to be blame.  Because we all know General Petreus is an avid fan of the game.

Good Lord says:

You’re considering the comments of some liberal extremists… about Muslim extremists… to be representative of all liberals? You’re either a troublemaker or a fool. Possibly both?

Anyone who takes the word of a pundit at face value clearly has trouble separating fantasy from reality. Perhaps you’re one of these fabled individuals who’s succumbed to media "mind control"? Better steer clear of the violent video games and gangsta rap for a while, just in case.

"Feel free to keep kidding yourself."

Polly wanna cracker?

JessJames says:

That, right there, is the most ridiculous, overblown, inflamatory, shocking and downright irritating thing I’ve ever read on this subject.

I have said this before, and I shall now say it once again…

If this were even remotely true, why am I not an expert marksman ? Why have I not been recruited by a military contractor for my amazing firearms and insurgence skills (I’ve put in more hours than any trainee I guarantee it) ?

Why am I not a world class race car driver ? Why am I not an olympic level athlete ?

Why am I not the head of a government or the ruler of a small country ?

Why am I not a highly paid and respected criminal investigator ?

Why am I not a jet fighter pilot ?

Because (and I often am amazed that I have to ever say this) when I play these things I am learning to play a video game… I am not learning to perform the equivilent real life task.

I’m honestly shocked. And I’m not easily shocked. Sheesh.

Zerodash says:

Liberal commentators have described Islamic extremists as "freedom fighters" and noted that scrificing their lives (in the case of 9-11 and other suicide attacks) is a form of bravery.  Oh, and don’t forget the claims that these extremists are not responsible for their actions because of US foreign policy, capitalist oppression, Zionism/Israel, etc.

Such things are hardly a denouncement of these people.  Feel free to keep kidding yourself.

hayabusa75 says:

1. Citing Grossman = auto-fail.

2. On the subject of desensitization, no amount of violent video game playing prepared me for watching my friend get shot in front of the nightclub I used to work at.

End of line.

"De minimus non curat lex"

Wormdundee says:

I don’t think anyone else has posted this yet. But go read the actual Huff article. It contains the following gem:

"Every time a child plays an interactive video game, he is learning the exact same conditioned reflex skills as a soldier or police officer in training."

Now I’m not really sure what is meant by ‘conditioned reflex skills’. If it means anything like ‘upon seeing an enemy, the person is able to reflexively bring their gun on target and fire’ then…wow.

Zero Beat says:

I can imagine that she’d be arrested for it in 16th century Europe.  Women, save the Queen, aren’t allowed to rally people, and any woman doing so is a heretic and a witch!  BURN HER!

"That’s not ironic. That’s justice."

Cecil475 says:

Also, it shows that people on both politial parties have something to agree on. IT’s not jusr the republicans or just the democrats.

– Warren

Cecil475 says:

"What about these modern X-Box and online video games? While I happen to enjoy the "G" rated Wii, over 11 million people are spending their time engrossed in the World of Warcraft or Grand Theft Auto where the point is to go around and kill people in a calculated way. Tell me again why this is supposed to be fun and relaxing?"

When it comes to GTA, I find driving mindlessy around Liberty City and listing to Eagle Fourm Live (Becuase it sounds SO much like WKTT) relaxing.

"I thought I liked GTA 4, until I played Saint’s Row 2; then I realized that GTA 4 made the game realistic at the expense of the player’s experience."

Dude, I found that out the moment I steped back and played San Andreas, but they are ALL for driving mindless around :3

– Warren

You can’t compare the acceptance of fake violence with acceptance of real violence. Because one is real and one is NOT.

If I watch a movie about the Holocaust, does that mean I support it? I’m pretty sure it doesn’t…

Honestly though, I don’t have much to say about this that hasn’t already been said. Stole my damn thunder…

questionmark1987 says:

On the one hand I’m glad the article mentions movies and TV rather than focusing solely on games, on the sane hand though if the author honestly thinks that we would all be up in arms about this more if we didn’t have those "influences" she’s living in a fantasy world.

Humans are violent by nature, it impossible to find a civilization anywhere that doesn’t rely in some way on hunting, killing or fighting to survive. Part of our violent nature is inherent, we can (in most cases) overcome this which is why we are so great at surviving (being able to overcome our natural instincts in needed situations) but that also doesn’t mean that violence should be wiped entirely from our social awareness.

Even with all the hyper violent games, movies, and television shows we ingest we still have soldiers coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan with shell shock or combat psychosis or whatever they are calling it this time. You can’t truly desensatize someone who is mentally stable to violence with media, it takes either  a combination of a mental instability and a lot of violent media or real violence to desensatize someone.

While I applaud the author for being able to address all types of media in her post rather then just lambasting a single source that doesn’t make her reasoning any worthier of the national attention.

Yes, violent media can desensitize some people. If you don’t recognize that you are at least somewhat affected by what you see, read, watch, and play then try turning the sound off during the commercials on TV and you’ll realize how big of a difference it can make in what you’re thinking.

However in all the studies I’ve seen that study this effect, it is temporary.

Making the statement that we need to get everyone to think the same way about a subject is not necessarily progressive. While it isn’t listed in the constitution one of the most fundamental rights, to the point that it shouldn’t even have to be mentioned, is the right to free thought. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs, whether the author or a poster agrees or not. The point where those beliefs become a problem is when they start infringing on another person’s rights, say like torturing them without legal ramifications, murdering them, or I don’t know preventing them from watching, reading, or engaging in roleplay about certain concepts and ideas.

axiomatic says:

What Kari Henley really needs is a good "nooner" with a subsequent "hummer."

Really Kari… go have sex. It’s obvious you need a RELEASE.

SounDemon says:

I think you may be confusing "liberals" with right wing racist groups.

I thought conservativism was about personal responsibility, not blaming everyone but themselves for their electoral and intellectual failures.

Face it, your party lost. It’s supposed to taste like a shit taco.

Good Lord says:

"Meh, liberals are often the same people who jump to defend individuals who behead civilians and perform "honor rapes"."

Completely wrong, but feel free to keep kidding yourself.

Erik says:

And you just know that after reading this that she read a violent book, saw a violent movie, or watched a violent tv show.  If the GTA series had never been made into a game and rather was put onto Broadway it would probably be heralded as art.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

Sigma 7 says:

No, those are power-hungry facists.  Liberalism requires liberty, and there is no liberty in societies that allow one half of the population to be treated as second class citizens.

They may demand that such individuals receive a fair trial like anyone else, but that’s all.

Leet Gamer Jargon says:

Err….."Little Green Footballs"? Qu’est-que ce?

Game on, brothers and sisters.

destijlcat says:

Well all this would explain why i keep getting shot in the face with a duck hunting rifle by a guy called DiCK_CHanY_666 while im playing killzone.

JessJames says:

I would like, if I may, to take you on a strange journey.

Here is my rather radical opinion on popular interactive entertainment series Grand Theft Auto.

When I watch a movie (for instance; Scarface) I am told a story. During that story swear words are uttered, drugs are taken, people are slaughtered horribly and etc.

When I get to the end of that story, I have experienced everything that the creators of the piece inteded, and it has in some form affected me… No matter whether that was to make me happy, sad, angry or bored… It affects me somehow.

The important point is that I have no choice but to experience what was created in a linear and complete way.

Gears of War, by way of example, is the same. I walk through an environment, on room at a time, and everyone I encounter I slaughter as quickly as possible so I can make it, alive and well, to the next room to slaughter some more.

Personally, I love Gears of War… I’m just objectively describing the experience.

Now, let’s move on to GTA. In that game I have a world which has been created for me… and within that world (to the best level allowed by current technology) is everything I would encounter in the real world, and they all behave exactly as they would in the real world too. People, cars, buildings… etc.

Then the game dumps me into that world, and (and this is the crucial part here)… I can do anything I want !!

I can drive within the laws of the road. I can never hurt anyone. I can help people, buy food, go for walks in the park, go watch a show, or buy new clothes.

I can get a girlfriend, pursue an exclusive relationship with her, and choose to merely enjoy her company and never pursue her for sex.

I can spend time with my friends and family, enjoying the attractions that the world has to offer.

I can take helicopter rides around the city. There’s even an achievement for taking them all.

Yes, there is a story… and by taking part in that story some bad things happen to my character, and my character does some bad things. However, for the most part my character is only aggresive to those who initiate violence against me, and often times I can decide whether to bo violent against people or find some other alternative.

Plus – I don’t need to involve myself in this story at all… I can just watch TV and hang out with my cousin at the bowling alley.

Ya see, it’s all about choice. And that respect it’s rather like real life isn’t it ?

Sure, I can take a car and run over 20 people on the sidewalk. I can also pay to have sex with a prostitute and then beat her to death. I can also buy a sniper rifle, camp out on top of a building and shoot passers by.

But I could walk away from my console and do that in real life too, if I wanted… It’s all about choice.

If I did, I would suffer consequences though wouldn’t I ? Well, so do I suffer in the world of GTA. I am arrested if I do bad things. If I refuse to be arrested I am shot and killed. In either case a chunk of my hard earned money is taken, and if arrested all my instruments of destruction are taken from me.

Consequences. Choice. It’s kinda like life.

I would therefore make a case that GTA is the most moral video game out there. It’s all about who you are as a person. Your own conscience and your own moral code. You choose who to be and how to behave and the world merely reacts accordingly.

Not many games do this… and therefore I’m never really sure why GTA is always held up as the best example of the terrible influence of video games. All it does is react to who the player is as a person. If anything, it’s a barometer for the mental state of the person playing.

I submit the following recommendation… Instead of demonising GTA, and pursuing it’s desctruction in the name of the children… let them all play it as much as they want… but WATCH…

If your child delights in walking through the park feeding the birds, your probably OK. If he cruises the streets, slowly, looking for hookers or victims, you probably should lock him in a small room with no windows and call the authorities.

Either way … the game is not causing problems… it’s trying to tell you something.

That is the end of this public service announcement. 😀

Father Time says:

Violence in media has been around a lot longer than you and me pal.

Can anyone imagine her doing this rant around the late 16th century.

"Oh hear thy cry, us poor Britiainers doth be exposed to wretched filth in our entertainment. For even the plays that doth grace the Globe be so filled with violence and murder that it doth desensitize us. Woe for the fate of Britain."

Doomsong says:

Not always blood thirsty… I’m actually quite full for now, but I may be blood thirsty again around 5 PM…

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" – Benjamin Franklin

Doomsong says:

I just find it nice to know that someone is out there attempting to play baby-sitter to all of us wayward humans… after all, this world is waaay to scary and complicated for any of us to be relied upon to make our own choices.

I’d be honestly suprised if this article was written for any reason other than a quick dip in the "Violent Videogame hot button" publicity pool.

Why can’t fluff writers just come to terms with the fact that they have no integrity?

Michael Chandra says:

I love guns. I also love killing people. But I keep those two hobbies strictly separated. It’s quite expensive, though, bullets are much cheaper than proper strangulation ropes, skimasks, good quality knives, renting a car for a good drive-by or hit-and-run…

gamadaya says:

Seems to me that people who’s minds opperate like this are one of the reasons why we torture. They just can’t separate violent media from the real world. Does conscience ever come into play here? No, of course not. It’s all very mechanical. If little Billy sees violence, he will become a violent adult. It’s never considered that Billy might just be a dick with no sympathy for the suffering of real-life people, and that videogames or TV had jack shit to do with it.

Believe in something! Even if it’s wrong, believe in it! -Glenn Beck

JustChris says:

Violence is a proxy for in-game progress. And to goal eventually is to complete the mission, and not kill all the bad guys.

It is programmatically easy to represent progress in an action game through some violent act.

Violence is easy to implement, hard to misunderstand [don’t know about this one], and time-tested. Unlike complex themes such as estrangement and friendship and ambition, unlike detours and air ducts and alternate routes, unlike negotiation and diplomacy and compromise, violence was communicable using the limited technology in the games of yore.

TBoneTony says:

Me too.

But guess what, I am just not going to listen to what they have to say.

Because in reality, those people who call us loosers and say that we have no lives, well I think that from all the time they spend worrying about the world and how they try to lobby others to try and change the world to fit their ideal utopia, THEY are the ones who need to get a life.

TBoneTony says:

Sadly when people who are passionate about real life issues, but then start to take out all their fustration on things that don’t really have anything to do with real life and try to blame it all on our entertainment then they really don’t understand how horrible it is that people like this are being paid to write this trash.

Honestly, I love to kill videogame characters when I play Videogames, but that is because THEY ARE NOT REAL PEOPLE!!!!!

But when someone kills someone else in real life or on the news, I know it was real and therefore I feel sad and disgusted. But it never takes away any of my enjoyment in my fantasy entertainment because I of all people know what is real and what is not.

Lady, if you bitch and moan about problems in real life that are out of your own control, then I would like to be the first to let you know that you need to get a life and start making your life allot more better.

I really wish I could have the power to stop torture, I would really wish that I could have the power to stop world hunger and poverty in this world and hope to make the world a better place.

But you know what?

Over all the years of my wishing for World Peace and that stuff, while it is really honest and good, can only lead to an entire life of misery and depression when you finally realise that there is nothing you can do in this world.

But there is something you can do, and that is to try and forget about the problems in the world and focus on trying to help yourself in your real life.

Try and get a new job, and try to live life to help people who live near you and make them feel happy and like be someone to lets them know you care for them.

That is the only way any one of us simple people can really change the world, but only in our own lives can we ever do that in the smaller things in life.

Like my old man once said, you can think Globally all you like, but what you need to do is to act locally and try to make your life better by trying to understand things better in your life instead of being negative all the time.

Deamian says:

"While I happen to enjoy the "G" rated Wii[…]"

-Deep announcer voice.-

Rated W for Wtf.

"[…]over 11 million people are spending their time engrossed in the World of Warcraft or Grand Theft Auto where the point is to go around and kill people in a calculated way."

First, wrong, we’re at 12 millions, you are a year late lady.

Second, WoW does feature calculated killing since it’s all about crunching numbers. And killings things that don’t exist. Don’t worry. GTA does feature pacifist missions, like taxi driving or paramedic-ing.

Third, we’re not engrossed, we’re blood-thirsty monsters. Dind’t you know already?

insanejedi says:

I hate these fraking populists who preach their own morals and tries to apply them to you and me. Not everyone is as like minded as you are, I’m sorry but that’s life and that is how it works. Your statement is equal to something like "If you like Physics that means you like to use Nuclear Weapons.". ARGGHHHHH. These are probebly the same people that think my love for guns translates into my love of killing people.

axiomatic says:

Wow thats an awfully tall soapbox the article author found to stand on. Is the air thin up there? How does it feel to be better than the rest of us Kari? Does it feel good with your moral fiber all puffed up?

Get real… you sound like a pompous ass.

Zerodash says:

Meh, liberals are often the same people who jump to defend individuals who behead civilians and perform "honor rapes".  It’s all relative.

At the end of the day, this woman is just another technophobe with a holier-than-thou attitude looking down on others.  No different from your garden-variety conservative columist.

bracomadar says:

Yeah lady, I’m sure George Bush and all the neo-cons got the idea to torture prisoners from playing Grand Theft Auto and other violent video games.  It’s just like when FDR played the board game Monopoly and got the idea to send Japanese Americans to jail errr…internment camps.  Go directly to Jail.  Do not pass go, do not collect $200.  Historians now think that Andrew Jackson’s failed attempts at trying to play Lacrosse eventually lead him to sign the Indian Removal Act.

PSN: bracomadar

sirjonk says:

Don’t forget to ban Harry Potter.  "Crucio" needs to cruci-go!

see what i did there?  hahalolrotf.

No, we don’t need to ban violent games/entertainment/books/tvshows/thoughts.  Nat Geo showing lions hunting zebras again?  Why won’t those darn lions leave the pretty striped horsies alone?  Violence is wrong.

jccalhoun says:

The Huffington post seems more and more like a liberal Little Green Footballs (and even LGF is backing away from his radicalism).

This writer seems to just be out to get publicity.  I wonder how Huffington Post columnists get paid? Is it by the number of unique visitors?  Her twitter account has a post bragging about the number of comments she got on her Easter column which makes me really suspect her sincerity.

jedidethfreak says:

I play video games, and someday want to make them, but I support waterboarding.  Do you have a problem with that?  I support waterboarding as a method of interrogation, because the way the US Military did it involved a time limit and more medical staff present than interrogation staff.  Also, the only recorded death involving waterboarding wasn’t a direct result of waterboarding.  The muslim man was aggrivated by the sight of a woman in a swimsuit (because she was in the pool next to him) and this aggrivated his un-diagnosed heart condition.

JustChris says:

Considering the correlation with someone’s age and Conservative political slant, I’m certain that the majority of waterboarding supporters do not even play video games. This is the biggest knock against Kari’s theory.

Kendra Kirai says:

The reason people find torture ‘acceptable’ is because it’s been rammed down everyones throats that if we don’t torture them ay-rabs theys a-gonn’ NEWK us Jaysus-lovin’ folks! Or give us the anthracks or something  equally absurd. How many of the people who you DIDN’T survey actually played games with any regularity? How many were Church-going, God-fearing Christians who bought whole hog into the ‘if we don’t torture ’em for information, we could get blowed up!’ garbage the US Government had been spewing since the media found out about it?

This smacks of scapegoating for your own personal beliefs, which has happened throughout history by such peaceful events as EVERY ETHNIC CONFLICT EVER.  Think very hard, my dear, if you really want to blame people who partake in violent FANTASY ENTERTAINMENT (Not even REAL violence, like has been done since two proto-chimps untold eons ago started fighting and the others decided to watch) for all of the worlds ills.

I know your type believes in a ‘slippery slope’…and you might be starting down one, towards…who knows.  But it’s been well-travelled by many others.

insanejedi says:

Well thats cute aint it? And it would work if not…

"Second, Grand Theft Auto is NOT our favorite game"

"Thus, games that don’t ruin the fun with realism, such as Saint’s Row 2, are "our favorite game"."

SounDemon says:

Copypasta from Maddox

Well that’s just your opinion.

Well that's just your opinion LOL!!11111one

This one pisses me off just thinking about it. If you slit my throat right now you’d get shot in the eye with boiling blood. Any time you say something sucks around someone who disagrees, they try to validate their taste in shitty music/movies/clothing by reminding you that you still only speak for yourself, as if their opinions are in jeopardy of being monopolized by your own. Everyone already knows it’s my opinion by virtue of the fact that I said it, no need to restate the obvious you dopey twat.

SounDemon says:

GTA 4 is not fun.

The whole point of the series, up until Niko Bellic was being a anti-anti-hero and crying over his kills and carting his stupidass cousin to strip clubs, was that it was fun to engage in acts that you wouldn’t be able to do in real life.

It sacrificed that at the brown altar of realism, consequently unbalancing the game with a cover mechanic as unbalanced as the one in Everything or Nothing, making vehicular homicide not fun anymore with the "I believe I can fly out the windooooow" mechanic, making the vehicles control realistically, i.e. like go-carts full of lead, and having a storyline as original as a Sonic game.

And GTA IV does not compare AT ALL to the Godfather, the Godfather was groundbreaking, whereas GTA IV is derivitive, recycling everything the series has done while shitting on the things it did well.

insanejedi says:

I’m just saying that because when ever GTA comes up, someone has to say it sucks in some objective broad fashion. No it doesn’t suck, you just don’t like it, and the same goes for everyone who thinks everyone likes GTA4. Like the Godfather is a phenominal movie, GTA 4 is a phenominal game. Is it for everyone? No. Is that okay? Yes.

Vake Xeacons says:

I’m just getting into Chinatown Wars. It’s not as bad as I expected. Pretty cool.

But I think the point here is that, as awesome as the GTA series is, it’s tiring how all the anit-gamers use that as a spokes-game for the entire industry, and why violence is such a problem.

When the issue of violence comes up, GTA is always the first in line at the firing squad. And all games are evil and violent, because GTA is.

I need a break…

mr_mlk says:

I thought it was to enable the Michael Morhaime to build this.

A house is not a home unless it contains food and fire for the mind as well as the body. Benjamin Franklin

Leet Gamer Jargon says:

Ah, reminds me of the South Park episode…

Stan (or Kyle, I don’t f$&king know): Now that we’ve defeated him, what will we do now?

Cartman: What do you mean? We play.

Game on, brothers and sisters.

Harry Miste says:

Yes, CERTAINLY a kid-only console…

| XBOX LIVE GamerTag: Harry Miste | Steam ID: Harry Miste | PSN ID: HarryMiste | No More Heroes is awesome.

Michael Chandra says:

Might I comment that a handgun has an extreme range of 25, while a rifle can shoot quite farther than that. Though 250 metres is a tad extreme for a normal rifle.

Chamale says:

"Answer: Guantánamo Bay, Abu Ghraib, the Sopranos, Dateline, or World of Warcraft?"

Is she seriously arguing that simulated violence that happens inside a computer processor is worse than real torture in an American-run prison? Ridiculous. It’s as if she doesn’t even understand the difference between fantasy and reality.

Really? I can shoot a German soldier with a rifle from 250 metres away, provided it’s in a video game, but I struggle to hit a tin can with a BB gun from 10.

This is a signature virus. Please copy and paste into your signature to help it propagate.

Laughing Hyena says:

The horrible crazy man still is. His tinhat is just as bad as Jack’s is.

The last time I heard of him, he was in my city trying to blame video games over the shooting of Lawrence King in Oxnard.

But he will go on and on about how good reading is no matter what’s the material, but video games make you into trained killers the instant you touch the controller. And by the way Grossman has written some ultra-violent Sci-fi novels to top that sweet hypocritical cherry.

Seriously, I’m not kidding:

Laughing Hyena

RedKing says:

This woman is nothing more than an arrogant moral zealot. Always spouting crap without looking for proof.

Unfortuantly for us Australians, we have a government full of morons like her

ZippyDSMlee says:

Oh pplleeaazzeeee….. if finctional violence is bad ban it all and see how the world falls under fascist ninnys who want to protect everyone from thinking!!

I am a criminal because I purchase media,I am a criminal because I use media, I am a criminal because I chose to own media..We shall remain criminals until Corporate stay’s outside our bedrooms..

Hitodama says:

This really makes no sense. First of all, why is there a freaking argument over torture? Torture is torture is torture. Now the only question would be: do we allow the goverment to torture it’s enemies? My opinion is no, but I don’t think we should allow the goverment much of anything.

Obviously, video games have nothing to do with torture. And this persons argument is fail.

DavCube says:

"Today the data linking violence in the media to violence in society are superior to those linking cancer and tobacco."

GoodRobotUs says:

She don’t know very much about the range of Wii games, do she? Either that or she thinks that consoles are rated, not games…

Oh, and the link doesn’t work as posted 😉

Leet Gamer Jargon says:

Don’t forget:

No More Heroes

House of the Dead 2 & 3

HotD: Overkill

RE 4

RE: UC

The Conduit

And more and more coming out of the woodwork.

This chick don’t know squat about the Wii, does she?

Game on, brothers and sisters.

JustChris says:

I think most people working in military intelligence have found out that torture is a last-resort method that is still not very effective to use. This isn’t some drama-action like 24 we’re living in…methods of torture can go on for months.

Vake Xeacons says:

Not to mention the Guiness World Record winner, HOD: Overkill! More swearing than any other game in history!

I shouldn’t have mention how little this lady knows about cybernatography. I just hate it how even anti-gamers use the Wii, the "kiddie console," as a represenative for what they think games should be.

And "torture in our military practices?" Obviously, another serious lack of research. More codes of conduct are enforced than ever before in battle tactics. That’s why we’re getting our butts whooped out there. And Guantanamo Bay isn’t a prison. It’s a hotel for terrorists. Our POWs are treated bettter than the guards themselves.

All because of BS like this.

Neeneko says:

Real concervatism died a horrible death when Regan was elected.  The movement was taken over by social concervatives decades ago and outside a little lipservice (when they are loosing) there is very, very little empasis on actually keeping the government out of people’s live’s.  Most of the old school concervative movement has moved to libitarian.

zel says:

Don’t forget one of the launch title red steel, where you can have sword fights and chop people up, well theres guns too but the sword fights were kinda fun and interesting. CoD was alright too…

I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

MechaTama31 says:

You mean the "G rated" Wii that has Manhunt 2 and Madworld, two of the more gratuitously violent games ever commercially released?  Oh yeah, I can see you know your stuff, lady.

insanejedi says:

Speak for yourself. GTA 4 is one of my favorite games for the reason it sacrificed ridiculousness for a world that had emotion.

archlobster says:

Southern conservatives, such as they are, are against censorship. Now, christian conservatives are a different story. But my ol’ Senator over here (republican) votes with most of the -real- conservative idea of keeping the government out of our business.

The people who write these articles have obviously never played a game in their life, it’s sad to see them for such strong opinions. When did ignorance become a point of view?

SounDemon says:

She is treading on dangerous ground.

Her post would be legitimate if not for the extra mile she goes with "all of which drastically decrease overall sensitivity to violence" and "It’s time to put torture in its place as unacceptable, period, both in our nation’s military practices, and in our nation’s entertainment standards."

First of all, if she advocates for censorship of video games, she makes two great enemies: The people against censorship (ACLU, NCAC, etc.) and gamers, and gamers are a vicious enemy to make, in case Fox’s Mass Effect smear and subsequent shitstorm didn’t clue her in.

Second, Grand Theft Auto is NOT our favorite game, GTA IV sacrificed fun for realism, and actually took out the fun of driving on the side of the road with the "fly face first out the window every time you hit anything that isn’t a streetlight made of pudding" mechanic. Thus, games that don’t ruin the fun with realism, such as Saint’s Row 2, are "our favorite game".

Third, fantasy violence does NOT "decrease overall sensitivity to violence." The reason that some people don’t care about torture is because our nation is well known for it’s apathy; why do you think we have an obesity problem? Wii Fit?

Fourth, if you don’t like the games or their violence, DON’T PLAY THEM. Play Flower, or FlOw, or Lumines, or Exit; you have many options that are nonviolent yet fun in every way. Don’t try to tell other people what they can and cannot do, you snooty bitch.

Fifth, anyone who hyphenates "Xbox" is a self-righteous prick.

Sixth, to answer the question posed by GP at the top, no. It does not. It comes mainly from southern conservatives that don’t want any more egg on their face than they already have.

Seventh, grasping at straws for virtual violence to censor instead of focusing on the REAL WORLD TORTURE is so abominable, I can’t even begin to express my disgust.

The end of my list, for now.

sortableturnip says:

Wow!  She’s right!  I never really thought about it until reading this article.  We really need the government to control the sale of these games that allow us to find torture acceptable.  I’d better go throw out my TV’s, radio’s, computers, video games, and live in a shack in the middle of nowhere…

BearDogg-X says:

"What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”

If Kari "Brain-Dead" Henley were any smarter, she’d be a complete idiot.

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra.

Saints(0-3), LSU(3-0)

Michael Chandra says:

Favorite just means it sells best. What part of the market is not reached with GTA and is reached with other games instead? For all you know, 60% of the market doesn’t care about GTA. But hey, proper research requires intellect.