Utah Congressman Says He’s Way Better at Halo Than Rock Band

Perhaps more than any freshman congressman in recent memory, Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) has a knack for getting his name mentioned by the media.

Here at GamePolitics, we’ve covered Chaffetz for his Rock Band duet with Stephen Colbert. The Republican Congressman is also an active Twitter user (jasoninthehouse) and just a tad to the right of Attila the Hun. After all, he is from Utah.

But his conservative rants got the best of GP yesterday and we couldn’t resist sending him a jab via Twitter:

Will you be doing anything with Rock Band again any time soon? Otherwise I may have to stop following your updates.

Chaffetz is nothing if not a good sport. He quickly followed up with a private tweet and we couldn’t help but laugh:

I suck at Rock Band. Best if I stick to Halo.

By the way, Chaffetz isn’t kidding about his Rock Band suckitude. Check out that 24% score from the Colbert show appearance. In any case, it’s reassuring to know that at least one member of Congress enjoys a round of Halo now and again.

Ratfunk says:

I was kind of wondering about that comment as well. Didn’t really seem all that needed… Also, maybe I just don’t know enough about Attila, but, what makes him conservative…?

If we want to break it down to it’s most fundamental arguments, Attila seems to be exactly OPPOSITE of it… but, oh well.

lloydsgames says:

Why is the "right of Attila the Hun" dig necessary?  If this were about someone like, oh, I dunno, Nancy Pelosi or Barack Obama, or some other liberal Dem, would GP be obliged to point out that they are slightly to the left of Stalin?

It’s typical liberal media crap and it adds nothing to the story, except to point out what a libtard the reporter is.  We should be excited that a member of congress, no matter the party, is an avid gamer.

And, BTW, I’m decent at Rock Band, as long as the difficulty is set to Medium.  Anything above that and I fail out every time.  My 40-year-old fingers can’t handle the fifth fret button.

foolkiller79 says:

The comment was prodded, which is what I meant by created.  But I will agree to disagree as this is the first time since I have been reading GP that I have seen something that made me raise an eyebrow.  Maybe I am having an off morning.

Michael Chandra says:

Does that matter? It’s a politician who makes a comment about a video game. Hobbies have been reported multiple times up here, because it may influence someone’s decision making.

foolkiller79 says:

That’s the first time I have ever said that, nor did I say he made it up.  Defensive much?

And sorry if I misconstrued a real news story as a jocular back and forth between two individuals, which is what this looks like to me.

gamadaya says:

I remember that episode. I felt bad for him, because I would have done just as bad. I freaking suck at Rock Band.

Believe in something! Even if it’s wrong, believe in it! -Glenn Beck

zel says:

Your story reminds me of my experience with Ephemeral Fantasia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephemeral_Fantasia). Its an RPG where you’re a bard of sorts. There are parts where you play your guitar or whatever they call it in game and for the LONGEST time i could not figure out why I kept failing songs miserably. I pressed the right buttons on my gamepad but… nothing! the king was very displeased with my pathetic songs (or lack of song) :( It took a while since i didn’t have the manual (rented it from block buster) but i FINALLY figured out i had to "pick" with the circle… sigh….  after that it was a very interesting game 😛

I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

Michael Chandra says:

You have to use that switch-thingy to play a note. Press the right buttons, then use that switch-thingy to play the pressed notes. Tutorials explain it nicely. RTFM, dude! =P

(I suck at GH because I don’t make those two steps fast enough.)

Hitodama says:

Story time!

I’m a veteran Halo player, but I never cared for Guitar Hero or Rock Band, so other than the demo, I had never really played them. And when I did play them it was with a good old fasioned controller.

So, I’m wandering through Wal-Mart for whatever reason when I see they have Guitar Hero up on display, Guitar and everthing. I had never used the guitar so I was intrigued, and walked up to the display, taking the guitar off it’s stand. I start a song and get ready to rock! Notes approach, I ready myself, and!! Nothing…. The buttons weren’t working! What the heck? Was it not on? Was it broken? What was going on?

I try for a couple minuetes to find out what the problem is untill I get fed up and leave it. While I walked away, some 15 year old looking kid walked up, picked up the guitar, and started to play it as if there was no problem. Then he looked towards me with what seemed kinda like a "What’s wrong with that guy?" face. I became very annoyed and thought "I dare you to face me in Halo, boy!".

zel says:

Its not too hard just takes getting used to. The main thing is to remember you don’t have to let go of fret buttons between strumming. too often i see people coming up on a string of green or something simple and they let got of the green fret and try to press it and strum at the same time, why? 😛

Then again when i first got GH i played till my fingers hurt, so i might be a little obssesed O.o I prefer RB now cause RB=Harmonix 😀

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Easy mode on GH/RB-guitar is the best for me. Not surprisingly, I failed out of T.T.F.A.F. on Easy mode in GH3 when I did a real performance. I don’t mean the credits, since they don’t let you fail out of that. Even so, that shit is hard as hell. Mic and drums are parts of RB that I absolutely fail at.

"The sun will always rise tomorrow. We can only live for today, and hope more days will come." -Unknown

TK n Happy Ness says:

I don’t blame him. I find Rock Band/Guitar Hero hard as well. Too many buttons.

When Jack Thompson runs his mouth, does anyone really care what he has to say anymore?

Michael Chandra says:

There’s been days GP went almost without any updates. Why would he have to bother creating stories for slow days? It’s not as if he earns money with it.

GoodRobotUs says:

So reporting on what someone else reported is a genuine story, but reporting on what you investigated and learned yourself is not a story?

Shadow D. Darkman says:

No, that actually happened.

Seriously, dude, stop saying that they make up their own stories when there’s no news. If there’s no news, there’s no new articles, not made-up articles to make it look like they’re finding news.

JDKJ says:

I understand that a freshman Congressperson isn’t usually overwhelmed by their Committee responsibilties, press appearances, Cloak Room conferences and the like, but Chaffetz still seems to have more than his fair share of free time to spend Twittering. I wonder if he’s on the Floor of the House, Twittering away during debates and votes. Maybe Nancy needs to give him the Chairmanship of a Commttee, if he’s got nothing better else to do.

And whether you agree with his politics or not, it’s hard to deny that he’s got all the neccessary ingredients of an up-and-comer. Like it or not, he’s got a future on the Hill — provided he doesn’t get caught in bed with a leprechaun.

GoodRobotUs says:

Fortunately, as time passes, more and more people who grew up with Computer games, and don’t see them as ‘that new fangled Video thingy’ will get into position, and this whole stupid Scapegoating routine will finally come to it’s drawn out, and yet inevitable end.