German Researchers See Pentagon Link to Violent Games

A pair of German researchers claim that violent video games are a creation of the U.S. military.

Writing in the latest issue of Current Concerns, Renate and Rudi Hänsel call for a ban on violent game and echo the military conspiracy theme espoused in the U.S. by followers of fringe political figure Lyndon Larouche:

During the nineties the killing simulators, employed for hand to hand combat in the US army and police, were released by the Pentagon to be sold for private use on the public markets. As a consequence the computer and video game industry that had co-operated with the Pentagon from the very beginning, boomed. Since then the so-called killer games have wreaked havoc among children and youths.

The US army’s electronic training programs for killing people must be taken back to the US barracks, where they came from. They have to disappear from civil society altogether. They may be appropriate for the purpose of national defense or fight against crime; they have no place, however, in children’s rooms or in living rooms.

In addition, the Hänsels relate violent games to school shootings and quote German and Swiss political figures who have called for a ban on such products.

Oddly enough, they also harken back to a post-World War II German ban on war-themed toys.

GP: Thanks to longtime European reader Soldat Louis for the tip!

118 comments

Erik says:

Oh both your pictures are fine eh?  So then you intended to post a picture of a purple box with black lettering outlined in white that reads "Hotlinking is Bad".  Was that really your intention?  Really what is the signifigance of that to this story I wonder?

Another tip for you: Surf away from this site.  Clean out your browser history, your cookies, your temp files, everything.  Then come back to this site and tell me your pics are fine.  Mind you in retrospect the hotlinking block isn’t so bad.  It is a nice change of pace from seeing the same tired and insipid internet meme for the ten trillionth time.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

mdo7 says:

Not only that, he wanted to make video game so he can get back at his country (He was born in Germany) for what they did to him (sarcasm end)

mikedo2007

Soldat_Louis says:

You can add Manfred Spitzer to the mix, as he’s another well-respected scientist in his field. Other scientists I heard about are : Gerard Huther, Rudolf Weiss, Werner Hopf, Gunther Huber, and Helmut Lukesch. Most of them can be found on this site : http://www.mediengewalt.eu/

There are other opponents of "violent games" who cannot be qualified as scientists, but are very active on the subject : Sabine Schiffer, chairwoman of the Institute for Media Responsibility ( http://www.medienverantwortung.de/imv/_das_institut_seiten/projektbeispiele.php ), Michael Wallies, former Counter-Strike player and recovering game "addict", and Rainer Fromm, TV journalist who made many reports against "violent games" (although he’s a bit more moderate and more sympathetic to video games than the others).

If you need to do more research, I strongly recommend Matthias Dittmayer’s Stigma Videospiele, which is my no. 1 source for video game controversies in Germany ( http://stigma-videospiele.de/wordpress/ ).

JustChris says:

I have my own theory behind this behavior. I’d take it that German authority figures want to forget anything that reminds them of Hitler, since he basically committed crimes against his own people, much like a German killing another German. And being harsh on anti-violent activities is their over-compensation for their horrible past.

GameSnooper

Afirejar says:

Interesting. Well, I don’t know about "anti-killergame activists", but in general they’re not famous (or known at all) by any means. I’ve never heard of them, and I actually try to stay informed about these things. If there’s more to those two, I’ll have to do some more digging.

Usually, Christian Pfeiffer of KFN Niedersachsen is the only "scientist" that get’s mentioned publicly. (And by "scientist" I mean, that that guy probably doesn’t even know, that the terms ‘correlation’ and ‘causation’ are not synonymous.)

Soldat_Louis says:

You got me on that one !

What I mean is that I didn’t know how to qualify them when I told GP about this story. I saw Rudolf was a psychologist, and I didn’t remember Renate wasn’t. Plus, he quoted so many scientists, so I labeled them "researchers". It was a bit lazy, I admit. Maybe "educators" was more accurate.

However, I maintain that they are German, at least Rudolf. He said it himself in a letter he wrote to the German edition of Current Concerns (translated in French, but as far as I know, not in English). He says he is German who now lives in Switzerland as a "country of adoption".

DarkSaber says:

"But he wrote many articles and even a book."

So has Jack Thompson.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Soldat_Louis says:

I wish you were right, but unfortunately, they’re quite famous amoung "anti-killergames activists", especially because a book they wrote in 2005, Da Spiel Ich Nicht Mit !, which contains contributions by Dave Grossman (in fact, these are German translations of two chapters from his latest book, On Combat). And believe me, all these opponents of "violent games" or "killerspiele" have either read this book or heard about it.

DarkSaber says:

Unless your second pic is MEANT to be a big blue square with the words ‘Hotlinking Is Bad’ , then he is talking to you.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Soldat_Louis says:

In fact, from what I read elsewhere, Rudolf Hänsel is not only a school counselor, but also a psychologist and Doctor in Psychology. To me, this is enough to be qualified as a "researcher". Furthermore, he IS a German who emigrated in Switzerland (before being in Wallenwill, he was in Munich).

This being said, I never heard about him doing research on "violent" games or media. But he wrote many articles and even a book.

Afirejar says:

Your second picture just says "hotlinking is bad". Is that intentional? Because you might have the intended picture stored in your browser cache and therefore not see any hotlink blocker.

Ryno says:

If this study were done by Americans they’d just replace all the words for violence with sex and the results with likelihood of becoming a sex-addict.

Saying that Jack Thompson is impotent is an insult to impotent men everywhere. They’ve got a whole assortment of drugs that can cure their condition; Jack, however…

sortableturnip says:

I’m assuming you’re talking to PHX and not me, since both of my pics are just fine.  Either way, I’m glad you getting a good laugh, because it’s obvious you need one.  A tip to you:  Posts don’t have to be serious, especially for a story that is as ridiculous as this one.  So, relax, and enjoy the posts.  Save your hate for someone that deserves it, like JT…

zel says:

nice find, thats more research than even they conducted ๐Ÿ˜›

————————————

I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

Chaltab says:

Yeah, the game critics will care about those details as much as the Utah Eagle Forum cared about Jack Thompson’s permanet disbarrment.

hellfire7885 says:

So, Ralph Baer didn’t invent the Brown Box until the 90s AND he was an agent of the Pentagon taking the role of an employee for Zenith. I never knew that! [/sarcasm]

Wormdundee says:

Wow, this is beyond anything I could have imagined someone would come up with. Can someone confirm that noone in Germany takes these guys seriously?

Afirejar says:

So I did some digging and found, that this Current Concerns also reported on the Cologne proclamation against video game violence a while back (GP also reported). I skimmed over the list of people who signed it and found something interesting:

Dipl.-Päd.Renate Hänsel, Gymnasiallehrerin, Wallenwil (CH)
    Dr. Rudolf Hänsel, Schulberater, Wallenwil (CH)

So there are your researchers: A school counsellor and what amounts to a high school teacher. And for the record, they’re not German.

Wormdundee says:

I like how you linked this back to our previous diatribes against this fact :)

It does seem a bit forced to bring it up here though.

DarkSaber says:

Which was put there by our Yithian masters?

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

DarkSaber says:

So what do they think lubricated the plates before the mass extinctions that created our current oil reserves?

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

zel says:

crap! i never thought of that, oil lubricates the plates we live on!!  jeez we’re all screwed!!! global warming is due to the increasing friction between the tectonic plates cause we took its oil! quick we need to pump it back in! :( /sarcasm

————————————

zel says:

Synthetic Oil… of course…

————————————

Coach says:

You know, at some point you just have to step back and realize that it is impossible to have a discussion about certain topics with people because what they think they know about the world is so far off from what you know about the world.  For example, how do you have a discussion about the evils of oil companies with someone who believes that drilling for oil will cause earthquakes and volcanoes because the tectonic plates won’t have anything to slide on after a while?  True story.  All you can do is /facepalm and move on.  People will believe what they want to even faced with how absurd their theories are.

DarkSaber says:

That ex-U.S. army guy who dropped off the radar after being discredited one too many times. He was always spouting off about games being used to desensitize people towards killing. I think he’s still peddling his bull to anyone who listen, JT style.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

HarmlessBunny says:

Just…huh…wh….WHAT THE HELL IS THIS FUCKWITTERY!?

My head hurts…the stupid!!!! It burns!!!!

Seriously though, first of all "researchers", show some fact and evidence backing your claims of violent games being distributed by the US Military. While you are at it, how about explaining why many games in the 1970’s and 80’s were all about defeating aliens, dragons, monsters, and….mushroom people. Mmmm hmmmm yeah, I think you’ll find they were training us from day one to fight the paranormal with whips, throwing crosses, blasters, and mushrooms that make us 20 feet tall.

Perhaps consider that this is media that has the sole purpose to: ENTERTAIN FOLKS! Le gasp? People like PG-13 and R rated movies, why not make PG-13 and R rated games?! Now that could be a concept! Now I know what you are thinking, wouldn’t that make the video game industry behind all of this? Not so fast kiddos! Like the music and movie industry realized that they could earn a tidy profit by aiming products at….late teens and adults! Wow relevation huh?

As a former member of the Canadian military, I can tell you the ‘simulators’ you speak of consist of an "electronic shooting range", full motion tank and aircraft simulators, and sometimes use multiplayer games to hone on COORDINATION AND COMMUNICATION (actually that can be pretty fun! ๐Ÿ˜› Nice break in grulling physical training). Those aren’t exactly God of War and Grand Theft Auto, are they?

Glad you guys didn’t call yourself scientists or doctors. Check your error % and gathering methods, and try again. Really really hard. Perhaps, oh I don’t know, actually gather facts?

SounDemon says:

How has no one noticed that this whole article is David Grossman’s work passed off as someone’s own?

Brain: "Pinky, are you pondering what I’m pondering?"

Pinky: "I think so, Brain, but we’re already naked."

DarkSaber says:

ROFLcopter. Even the pics of sick of being linked in these parts,

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Erik says:

My day has been made.  Spanked by one of your own insipid pictures.  A tip there chief: Some people don’t like you leeching their bandwith.  Hence the "Hotlinking is bad".  So if you are going to drag us down to the depths of 4chan level idiocy you may want to consider finding your own hosting for your stupid shit.  I suggest photobucket.

Now if you will excuse me I shall have myself a happy giggle at your expense.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

PHX Corp says:

This article is rated EF for…

Watching JT on GP is just like watching an episode of Jerry springer only as funny as the fights

AE: Fixed the image for you.  Pro tip: The pic’s URL and the URL of the page it’s sitting on are not the same thing.

beemoh says:

Haven’t these two loons been down this road before? I’m sure it was one or the other of these that was complaining they couldn’t sue EA as they were an American company a bit ago…

/b

TaoJeannes says:

Let’s assume the study is legit. It found video games the largest factor of future violence relative to other media. These clowns quote that as if it is the largest indicator OF ALL.

Plus, the affect is only .30. Don’t you need to have .50 for it to be considered statistically significant?

zel says:

The page just published it, the original was translated by that web page. If you look at the bottom of the article it says "(Translation Current Concerns)". Also at the end of the article itself, just before the part about the translation there is an e-mail address ending with @gmx.de so i’m just guessing these guys are actually from germany but hey, maybe not? who knows?

————————————

JessJames says:

Actually my old flat mate is convinced that there is a movement within the US government who’s purpose is to distribute certain images into mainstream media in order to de-sensitise the population into accepting certain things.

Whether it be violent in nature, perhaps military, or even images of government dudes in black suits and shades breaking down your front door.

The theory is that these things become commonplace, and this benefits the governments evil plots in the future.

I refuse to have a firm opinion.

What I would like to seriously ask though, is this…

There are, I’m sure, a huge list of research studies out there which either conclusively prove that there is no link between media and behaviour, or at least conclusively state that you can’t prove there IS a connection. Ya know, ones that know the difference between correlation and causation. Ones conducted by people who understand how research works, and how to test by scientific method. That kind of thing.

I really really REALLY wish someone who knows where these studies are could build a web site, put these studies onto it in one huge list, and distribute the URL of that website around here.

Then, whenever a ridiculous study, media witch hunt, or idiot politician looking to make a name for himself hit’s the news we can just build a list of the people involved and politely e-mail them that link.

Perhaps with a subject line which reads… "Are you sure ??".

Any volunteers ? :)

Meohfumado says:

I am offended by the constant hate speech out of Germany directed towards video games.  I thought that sort of thing was illegal in the EU!

"You know what I wish? I wish all the scum of the Earth had one throat and I had my hands about it."

zel says:

I just wanted to say soldat is a great freakin game. Dunno if you actually play it but i thought i’d mention it.  ๐Ÿ˜›

————————————

Chaltab says:

There is no damn way that study is legit. It defies even bare bones common sense. Either they outright fabricated results, or it’s the biggest example of confirmation bias in history.

NovaBlack says:

god yeah.. i mean linking games to shootings.. totally stupid. I mean what do they think they are ‘murder simulators’? crazy. Doesnt train anyone to do anything. No crimes are comitted. No1 is hurt.

[sarcasm]Now rapePlay on the other hand, i mean thats completely different. thats a ‘forced sex simulator’ that should be banned. I mean noone gets harmed, there is no link between that and sex attacks, and no crimes are comitted. But there is a clear difference somewhere. [/sarcasm]

TK n Happy Ness says:

This coming from a country that gave us Hitler.

When Jack Thompson runs his mouth, does anyone really care what he has to say anymore?

ZAR says:

I am a German. I was born and raised in Germany. The history of censorship in this country is one of my special fields of interest. There are many liars, hipocrites and fanatics out there who call themselves "scientists". But their methods are not scientific. Nor are their intentions. They are sometimes doing their "research" for cash, but most of the time for power or other political gain. They either work for political parties (mostly right wing conservative) or they ARE from those very same parties. They always claim, they "defend the interests of the children". They don’t. If there’s a discussion about a guaranteed place for every child in kindergarten or more support for solitary mothers with children, they keep their mouths shut. If the government plans to cut money on education or the family, they keep their mouths shut. They claim that censorship works. It doesn’t. They claim that by fighting the symptoms, the problems themselves will go away. They don’t. They claim they do it for the children. They don’t.

I have never heard from those two people before. And I hope, I will never hear from them again.

ZAR.

Werrick says:

Dear German Researchers;

If you don’t mind, terribly, would it be okay if I could decide what I have in my own living room?

Thanks muchly.

Sincerely;

-Werrick

Soldat_Louis says:

Well, on that point, they rely on a study made by Werner Hopf, Günther Huber and Rudolf Weiß, called "Media Violence and Youth Violence : A 2-Year Longitudinal Study" and published last year in the Journal of Media Psychology. It’s available here : http://www.psycontent.com/content/w4t2h1467881 (although you have to pay for it). You can at least read the summary here : http://www.sozialwirksame-schule.de/seiten/mediaviolence_abstract.html

"The frequency of exposure to media violence and eight additional risk factors were path-analyzed in a 2-year longitudinal study. The exposure to media violence (total score) affected students’ later violence (beta = .28) and later violent delinquency (beta = .30) more strongly than other risk factors. Direct effects were also caused by risk factors assessed at Time 1, which in turn were reinforced by the remaining risk factors on the second or third stratum of analysis. Of particular importance are the findings that (1) playing violent electronic games is the strongest risk factor of violent criminality and (2) both media-stimulated and real experiences of aggressive emotions associated with the motive of revenge are core risk factors of violence in school and violent criminality. The results of our study show that the more frequently children view horror and violence films during childhood and the more frequently they play violent electronic games at the beginning of adolescence the higher will these students’ violence and delinquency be at the age of 14."

PS : Thanks to GP for the credit ๐Ÿ˜‰

zel says:

But only because the usa has 304M vs  143M for all 3 of those countries. So statistically speaking we should have the most stupid people compared to those 3. However i’m sure stupid is spread equally around the world so if you took it to the percent i’m sure we’d all be pretty close ๐Ÿ˜›

(i used 2008 estimates listed for each)

————————————

PHX Corp says:

This article is a prime example how researchers should not act physocotic over violent video games and devolving into conspircy theories

DarkSaber says:

All 3 still lose to the U.S.A.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

zel says:

Yea, not even half way into their "research" i couldn’t continue. I started to wonder if these guys are just straw men for the german gaming industry.

————————————

BearDogg-X says:

Even if one of them’s last name was Gretel, the intelligent people around the world wouldn’t listen to the two brain-dead idiots.

Between Luxembourg, Britain, and Germany, was there a worldwide contest on who could produce the dumbest people?

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

TaoJeannes says:

Have these two really earned the title "researcher"?

Playing computer games containing violence – and this was another result of the study – is also the highest risk factor for later violent crime.

That’s not just an inaccuracy. It is a blatant, flat out lie.

Y’know, it’s interesting how similar this rhetoric is to Jack Thompson’s.

MaskedPixelante says:

Yes Germany, acts of violence and genocide didn’t exist before Doom… everyone knows what a nice guy Hitler was.

—You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

Austin_Lewis says:

Germany?  With crazy conspiracy theories?  No Way!
    This shit is twice as dumb as loose change, and that was debunked seconds later by the mere fact that the jackasses who made it aren’t dead yet.

Tammej says:

Probably about as scientific as Erich von Däniken.

Too bad most people here won’t understand the video or who that Erich person even is. The video starts with him blabbering about his videos that explaint he secrets to all the world, UFOs and things like that. Hilarious, how Kalkofe "beams" himself into that and does his crazy interpretation of Erich. And these two people "researchers" are about as credible as him.

Soldat_Louis says:

And let’s not forget that right now, "Zeit-Fragen/Current Concerns" is member of Thierry Meyssan’s Voltaire Network.

Now, I agree that it’s not a scientific article, but it provide an English translation and compilation of several "anti-violent games" rants. So it’s useful in some way.

PS: I guess I have to apologize for introducing them to Dennis as "researchers". Sorry sorry sorry

Aquilian says:

As others have mentioned before: Renate and Rudi Hänsel do not qualify as researchers and they are certainly not in a position to make statements based on sound scientific research in this matter.

Furthermore: "Current Concerns" is the english edition of "Zeit-Fragen" (http://www.zeit-fragen.ch) which seems to serve as a means of publication for an organisation called "VPM" (short for "Verein zur Förderung der Psychologischen Menschenkenntnis", a rather shady and controversial organisation with evident cultist traits here in Switzerland).

There is nothing scientific about that article. The authors are just trying to take advantage of the ongoing discussion about violent video games in Germany and Switzerland in order to promote themselves and their political agenda.

Avalongod says:

Thanx for the links.  From the link you sent it appears that the "research" on school shootings is not peer-reviewed (at least best I could tell…my limited German is *weak* to say the least, so perhaps I missed something).  Thus I’m not sure his musings carry much weight particularly as they have been contradicted by several other reports.  At very least, if these folks were interested in objective science they would acknowledge that there is disagreement among reports on the matter (they could argue why they believed Weiss’ was correct and the others mistaken…that’s fair game…but ignoring conflicting research altogether is simple propaganda…of course American researchers in this area do this too…the technical term is "citation bias").

Aliasalpha says:

Ahh the cycles of fashion, only a few years ago tinfoil hats were considered the headwear of the madman but apparently all chic germans are wearing them this season.

Ryno says:

"Anyone who ever went ahead and shot someone like "they do in videogames" either was -yes, I’m sorry to say this again, but it’s the awful trush – unstable to the brink of a rampage anyway, and would’ve done it the next time something tickles their fancy…."

I don’t see any need to apologize for this. I think most of us here agree this is the main cause for most rampages. As Dennis Miller once said, to paraphrase: "If your son kills himself because of something Gene Simmons said, you should probably look to yourself for the blame."

Soldat_Louis says:

Some of Rudolf Weiss’s research is available at http://www.mediengewalt.eu , so are a lot of "anti-killergames" activists’ articles. The "study" done by Weiss and mentioned by the Hänsels is available here : http://www.mediengewalt.eu/downloads/Winnenden-Infos%20zur%20Pressemitteilung-Weiss.pdf (search the end of the document)

The funny part of it is in page 2, when he talks about GTA IV : he blasts him for a content and a gameplay that is not in the game ! (he mistook Manhunt’s gameplay for GTA IV’s one)

Tammej says:

These authors are swiss now, they migrated. And …. it’s obvious that they do not know what they are talking about. It’s more like a conspirary theory. The numbers alone should tell everyone that these games don’t turn 99,9^% of the adults into killing machines. Anyone who ever went ahead and shot someone like "they do in videogames" either was -yes, I’m sorry to say this again, but it’s the awful trush – unstable to the brink of a rampage anyway, and would’ve done it the next time something tickles their fancy, or someone who thinks they can safely blame videogames and less jail time.

These swiss guys even ramble on about this infalliable evidence that games at fault they supposedly have, but this evidence has been looked at time and time again, and it wasn’t good enough. Bringing this up over and over again won’t make this look better.

In the end, these people are as much about truth as Erich von Däniken. The fact that someone can author a book … is that supposed to be some kind of redeeming factor? Last time I checked, there were gazillions of useless books published.

I am so tired of these whackjobs, so tired of German politician quackjobs … luckily they are in the minority, but they’re dangerous.

Avalongod says:

FWIW…I just looked up the two authors, as well as Rudolph Weiss, who they mention.  None of these individuals have published anything that shows up on PsychINFO (the main database of published psychological research articles).  I have no idea what this study is of Weiss (aparently it hasn’t been published in a major peer-reviewed outlet), but as it contradicts the US Secret Service report on the same subject, I’d guess that it is bupkiss.  Helmut Lukesch, who someone mentioned is a legitimate researcher, but some of these other folks aren’t.

GRIZZAM PRIME says:

I know the American revolution was influenced heavily by COD: Indian Wars, by Benjamin Franklin. Shitty graphics, but the gameplay still holds up.

Kajex says:

I’ve shared this story with every person I know, because after the first few said the same thing, I wanted to see what everyone else I knew would say. I got the same response.

"… wat"

gamegod25 says:

Ok if violent games really do train people to kill then why hasn’t the military removed all their training courses and firing ranges and replaced them with videogames?

BECAUSE VIRTUAL COMBAT, ESPECIALLY IN COMMERCIAL VIDEOGAMES, AND REAL COMBAT AREN’T EVEN REMOTELY SIMIALR, DICKHEAD!!!

mdo7 says:

I’m afraid history repeat itself time over and over again.  There’s already been:

-Economic Reccession

-World War

-Hypocrites complaining about violence.

-terrorist attack

-VIP Assassination

No matter how hard we try.  History always repeat itself.  There will be a new Jack Thompson somewhere in the future.  Nobody ever learn from history, they use history to train themselves to repeat it.

mikedo2007

Vake Xeacons says:

Hitler’s legacy lives on. And these fools are following it. The censorship, ban on "harmful" media, burning anything that the government doesn’t agree with, and "anyone acting out of hostility to the state…"

HE’S BACK! Hitler was just named as one of the top baddies in games that refuse to die. And they were right.

Truec says:

So the thousand and one versions of Pac-Man were to prepare us to take drugs and fight ghosts?  And Pitfall and its knockoffs were just training for… uh… whatever it is you do in Pitfall if you can survive longer than 3 screens?

Dragoon1376 says:

Obviously the surge in alien invasion games in the 70s and 80s were to train legions of future alien resistance fighters.  The focus then shifted in the 90s and 00s to Nazis, terrorists, and the eventual zombie apocalypse.  The DoD has always attempted to lay the groundwork for future needs early on.  Obviously.

First secure an independent income, then practice virtue. -Greek Proverb

GRIZZAM PRIME says:

I…what? I don’t….GAHHH! What the f-ck are these people talking about?

So the US military is attempting to destribute these games to brainwash people to kill or something?

WELL IT AIN’T WORKIN’. All that research is bitchslapped into oblivion by the most basic observation of statistics regarding violent crime rates and the play of violent games. As for the military angle, that’s crap. (proof please?)

This is all just part of a conspiracy against the US so that the underground Neo-Nazis can regain control of Germany and launch a mass attack against planet Jewtron with their secret store of nukes. I know this because I have a piece of paper that says I do! You can’t prove there isn’t a conspiracy!

Aurontsubaki says:

Germany just ran out of more bullshit & now they’re linking the Pentagon into this mess. Here I was thinking Conspiracy Theories were out of style.

What we got here is failure to communicate!

PHX Corp says:

Totally, like I said in the past, the CDU/CSU collition is screwed this election

JustChris says:

Are you serious? Anyways, these Germans are noobs…we didn’t start in the 90’s. We started brainwashing people with games with the Polybius Arcade System(TM)! ๐Ÿ˜›

GameSnooper

PHX Corp says:

and they are calling for the UN to outlaw all violent games

Chaltab says:

It occurs to me–what on Earth would be the purpose of this supposed Pentagon conspiracy. Wouldn’t games that train average citizens to be killers make national security harder? It makes no sense whatsoever.

mdo7 says:

Or I wonder how Ralph Baer, the father of video game (and also was born in Germany) fit in to the conspiracies?  Maybe they’ll say that Ralph Baer made video game so he can get back at Germany for what they did to the Jews during World War 2 and wants revenge.

This is ridiculous.

Yeah, because before video game.  Das fatherland was a utopian place and it was all peaceful until these "murder Simulator" and "teh evil Vidya game" came along and destroy peace in Germany.  Yeah, Hitler became evil because he played Command & Conquer.

mikedo2007

zel says:

You mean real melee moves require more than pushing a button? damn i’ve been practicing wrong all these years!

————————————

DarkSaber says:

Yeah, but it takes one hell of a backseat role for a game supposedly based on CIA hand-to-hand combat software.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

zel says:

You do keep the knife tho and can use it at any time.

————————————

DarkSaber says:

Yep, they are going to have to be a lot more specific than "During the 90s" if they don’t want their paycheck, I mean research, shot down by Wolfie. Which also had almost nothing to do with hand-to-hand combat after the first guard.

And how do games like Operation Wolf (1988) fit into their conspiracy theory?

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

zel says:

of course it doesn, see that only teachs them to kill other soldiers, totally different from killing other humans…

————————————

GoodRobotUs says:

So Video Games and Paintball are evil, but Wehrpflicht (Germany’s 9 months conscription system), I’m sure, doesn’t do a thing to teach people how to kill….

DarkSaber says:

Or, in the case of Vice City, screwdrivers, golf clubs, hammers….

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

HarmlessBunny says:

these nuts seem to be getting their info from LaRouche and Thompson… their history which avoids pesky things like fact and evidence

zel says:

They must be thinking the whole industry started with wolfenstein 3d, the original murder training bloodbath genocidal simulator!! iD is a scion of the devil and the pentagon was in on it! *puts on tin-foil hat*

————————————

DarkSaber says:

This really needs a "Tin-foil hat" tag.

For a couple of RESEARCHERS, you’d expect them to have some, I dunno, RESEARCH? to back this up.

EDIT: I knew something had been nagging me about this:

"During the nineties the killing simulators, employed for hand to hand combat in the US army and police, were released by the Pentagon to be sold for private use on the public markets. As a consequence the computer and video game industry that had co-operated with the Pentagon from the very beginning, boomed."

Hate to tell researchers how to do their job, but the very beginning of the computer and video game industry was NOT during the nineties.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Moriarty70 says:

Those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it. And this hints of them willing to force society to improve itself. I’m just saying, this has a bad vibe.

Fedule mk II says:

If I say what I’m thinking I will run afoul of the laws of the Internet, so I won’t say it. But I know it, and I know that every single person here is thinking it too.

I would like to say I’m shocked at the sheer stupidity, that I never thought humanity was capable of feats of ignorance like this, but I honestly can’t. We’ve long known where the situation in Germany is headed. It was only a matter of time before someone came out and said these things – whether anyone there listens is something that remains to be seen…

Icehawk says:

Gods below.  Go chase your boogeymen elsewhere.  Basically you are trying to say; There is a vast.. um well just vast conspiracy against someone somewhere; just have to find it.

Leet Gamer Jargon says:

Welcome!

Yeah, this shit is definitely insane.

——————————————————————————

Game on, brothers and sisters.

PHX Corp says:

Germany is not my problem, They have and awalys will be @$$holes concerning violent games. end of story

Alex says:

Wow. Now they’re down to conspiracy theories.

I really don’t know what to say to this one.

I’m not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I’m not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don’t know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.