Global Hindu Boycott of Sony? PlayStation Maker Given 7 Days to Respond to Game Protest

For the past several weeks some Hindu leaders have been urging Sony to withdraw Hanuman: Boy Warrior from the market.

The recently-released PlayStation 2 game, available only in the Indian market, is also the first console title to be entirely developed by an Indian firm. Some Hindus, however, are upset by the game’s depiction of Lord Hanuman, one of the religion’s deities.

To date, the protest – largely waged via e-mail – has been led by Rajan Zed, the Nevada-based president of Universal Society of Hinduism. In a press release issued last evening, Zed upped the ante by raising the possibility of a worldwide Hindu boycott of Sony products. Zed has given Sony until May 21st to respond:

Hindus upset over Sony’s “Hanuman: Boy Warrior” videogame and further frustrated by the callous handling by Sony officials, might give a boycott call of all Sony products world over… despite communication between Sony officials and Hindu leaders, the issue had not been resolved yet. Sony officials said that they would look into it and be back with the Hindu leaders, but they were yet to hear back from Sony…

If nothing was heard by Hindu leaders from Sony by May 21, then all the protesting Hindu groups and leaders would re-evaluate the protest and announce the future course, which might include calling for boycott of Sony products world over by Hindus and other likeminded people and supporters…

GP: It is unclear whether Rajan Zed and the other Hindu leaders involved in the protest to date have the clout to bring a meaningful boycott about against Sony. Also unclear is how well Hanuman is selling in India. The game has received some withering reviews.

Wolvenmoon says:

Why the hell are they even paying any attention to them? Christ and Christianity are more often parodied than the word "Hindu" is mentioned in our media now-a-days. Here’s a thought for them: Get over it and don’t buy the damn game if it offends you.

"Oh, Christians are oppressive. Just ignore the Islamic bombing threats about the cartoon Muhammed, the Hindus threatening a global boycott over a game, and the atheists claiming science is only a mechanical system when it doesn’t come to their faith, when it does it only validates their beliefs."

(My point with the above is that we’re only human and no single person embodies the beliefs and actions of billions of people ((aside from Christ in Christianity, but we’re talking alive and walking around today)). The likelihood is that many Hindus find no problem with the game, or don’t really care.)

I will not buy securom games. and

londinio says:

I’m not hindu so I wouldn’t know. I wonder if a lot of Sony products are made in India. Maybe they should consider creating their own technologies.

Hanuman sounds stupid.

TBoneTony says:

If I was Sony, I would not care what these bastards say.

Also, I don’t think these people ever deserve to even practice religion if they are going to be trying to make such an uproar against a game that is on the PS2.

Like there are so many other reasons why religion should be teaching people how to love and respect each other, but this group of fanatics don’t have any love for Videogames, so why should we listen to them if all they are going to do is just bitch over nothing.

Saxy says:

Boycott all Sony products.

… Seriously?

I mean, think of all the products they make. I don’t buy the Playstation, but they have TVs, entertainment systems, etc.

I hope these people boycott oxygen next. (not all Hindus, just ones like these)

Wormdundee says:

O no! Not a global boycott! Whatever will Sony do?

I have a suspicion noone knows who the hell this guy is and he probably has absolutely no clout to call for a meaningful boycott. Maybe his best buddies would stop buying Sony.

Plus, Sony has barely anything to do with this game. Their only involvement in this game is the licensing of the use of Sony hardware. I imagine with contracts and whatnot it would probably be illegal for them to revoke the license at this point. Not to mention terrible PR in North America/Europe.

Neeneko says:

Actually there has been a resurgence of the greek religions.  But since they are not in america they are focusing on other things like getting access to antient temples.

Who knows, maybe someday there will be a branch of one of the faiths in america and they too will claim to speak for the whole world and attack some random video game.

DarkSaber says:

"Sony officials said that they would look into it and be back with the Hindu leaders, but they were yet to hear back from Sony…"

Told ya he’d jumped the gun when he started bragging about receiving what amounted to nothing more than an auto-reply. Now he’s blowing smoke to save face.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Stealthguy says:

So silly, all I see is them shouting: "Pay attention to me damnit!" Once that doesn’t work it makes me giggle to think of them leading a hunger strike, except all the ‘really important leaders’ wouldn’t get involved because they need to be all there don’tcha know.

If that doesn’t work then they’ll probably call in their god, except everyone will have to cover their faces, since they can’t know what he looks like.

Kojiro says:

Considering the piracy reports about India, Sony has nothing to fear from a boycott.  Indian guys don’t actually pay for their games anyways…

Alex says:

Pointed frowns and thumbs-down signs?

I’m not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I’m not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don’t know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

11zxcvb11 says:

"We weep for a bird’s cry, but not for a fish’s blood. Blessed are those with a voice. If the dolls also had voices, they would have screamed, "I didn’t want to become human.""  –

Motoko Kusanagi

DarkSaber says:

It’s seems quite straight-forward. They assume Sony speaks for every game developer in the world because they themselves assume they speak for every Hindu in the world.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Archgabe says:

I doubt that they even realize that SONY really does not have much to do with this game at all.  Or even that they are bitching about a game made in India.  By an Indian game developer.

This is like an American Catholic complaining about a game about Jesus that was made by a game developer in Vatican City!  No one would take that seriously…  Why should SONY?

eston says:

That’s actually a good point. I guess I had just assumed that they spoke with the developers about this, but thinking back it seems like they only approached Sony. The problem with that is that if Sony were to discontinue this game based on such complaints, it would be a PR disaster in other markets where the game is not even available. I know that gamers in the U.S. in particular would lose a lot of respect for Sony over something like that.

E. Zachary Knight says:

I have to wonder, has this group contacted the game’s creators? Everything that I have read points to them having just spoken to Sony. Sony only controls the game’s licensing. The Game Studio is the one that controls the content of the game.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Aliasalpha says:

What if the people who were offended were monks who’d taken a vow of silence (and also of not writing things down)?

Won’t someone please think of the mute-monks??

Shadow D. Darkman says:

I’m personally surprised that they didn’t reply to the e-mail I sent them when I read the previous article on this game. I mean, come on, people! Just because it tells a story about your god, it doesn’t mean it’s insulting. I mean, name one person who got butt-hurt over Okami. IMO, it was pretty neat.

"The sun will always rise tomorrow. We can only live for today, and hope more days will come." -Unknown

Aliasalpha says:

So something offends someones invisible friend and they threaten to encourage others in a boycott? Riiight, I’ll bet sony caves on day 6.

Sadly I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if they really did.

sortableturnip says:

I’m sure the "take the game off shelves or else" will work, since it had worked so well in the past in other places…

Here’s an idea…wage a hunger strike…that will show Sony!

eston says:

"despite communication between Sony officials and Hindu leaders, the issue had not been resolved yet."

In this case, "resolved" seems to mean "do exactly what we tell you to do."

The way I see it this company has just as much right to make the game as Rajan Zed does to be offended by it. It would probably be easy for Sony to make this game disappear, but I’m glad they are standing their ground and not bowing down to this guy who claims to speak for all Hindus the world over.