The Sims 3 Leaked?

There are some unconfirmed reports floating about this morning claiming that The Sims 3 has been leaked. The long-awaited PC game’s official launch date is June 2nd.

Romanian site SoftSailor is among those reporting the supposed leak:

For the moment we can’t tell for sure if the game is real as the packed/unpacked leaks are sized somewhere near 5GB. The small size of the game makes us think that this is not the actual game, but maybe it’s an unfinished version of The Sims 3 life simulation game…

[updated] P.S. From what I’ve read, the game is real and many are playing it right now.

Well-known torrent site The Pirate Bay, whose operators are appealing their recent conviction by a Swedish court on piracy charges, currently has a 4.94GB file named The.Sims.3-Reloaded posted.

GP: Pending confirmation from more reliable sources, we’ll call this one a rumor for now…

fubarmonkey says:

The DRM isn’t so much the problem, it’s the companies that use it unscrupulously. EA’s tactic with Spore and its DRM that only allowed a limited number of installs was a big issue to most gamers (including myself).

Hmm… let’s see, buy a $50+ game that only allows 3 (now 5?) installs or… download it (cracked) and install as many times as I damn well please? Tough choice. There is a huge FAIL in logic when EA decides that it’s paying customers have to suffer because of the "freeloaders." I’m not a fan of buying a product you don’t technically own after purchasing it.

For the record, as much as it hurts to give my money to EA, I do buy my games if only because Maxis is still one of my favorite game developers and unfortunately screwing EA means effectively screwing Maxis.

Harklos says:

Personnaly i think this looks bad and kinda sick….. but if you put in the way that you want to try the game now but cant wait and you have preordered well i see it has "ok" :)

I "bought" (pre-ordered) the game a will ago now (for my little sister :) ) and she has being nagging me ever since i was thinking of downloading it but im a bit edgy and i dosent feel right even tho i’ve aleady purchased the product….

Objective.Lens1207 says:

Spore, like this game, was leaked earlier than the U.S. release date.  Spore was cracked and on the internet after it released in Australia, and it’s my understanding that someone cracked a preloaded version of The Sims 3.

It is a Reloaded release, and for being a group thats sole function is to break international law, they sure are well respected online.  They only ever do quality work.

Love it or hate it, it wont stop until developers find better methods for distribution.  The STEAM client should be a model for the industry.  No reason not to love it.

Drazgal says:

How exactly?

PC gaming has never had a large used games market, that is reserved for consoles, which have DRM by the nature of the hardware not the software.

KaylaKaze says:

I can guarantee this story is valid and no, I’m not telling you how I can guarantee that with such certainty.

But that’s what happens when you game is done but you don’t release it for 6 months to "build awareness" and then press the master disc a whole month before you plain to actually release.

GoodRobotUs says:

I’m planning to buy the game for my girlfriend anyway, though, admittedly, her favourite part of The Sims 2 was designing houses, since the actual game, without expansions, had far too short lifetimes unless you turned off the ageing, and that disabled other features as well.

mbellerbrock says:

Isn’t listing a site that is hosting the leaked copy with the exact name of the file (essentially linking us to the very illegal leak) a bad idea for gamepolitics?  I’m not denying the fact that someone who wants to find it will find it, but I can’t see this as being a good idea.  When Wolverine was leaked earlier this year most reputable movie sites refused to direct their readers to the copy in any form.  Report the news, that’s your job, but direct us to the file?

MaskedPixelante says:

—You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

JustChris says:

Yay! 5 million more casual PC users are going to learn the wonders of using torrent clients.

Don’t get me wrong, sales of a mainstream game like this aren’t going to be hurt much by the mass downloading. But every new EA game leak will reel in more casuals to the dark side, DRM or not.

XerxesQados says:

Pirate Bay seems to have taken the file down, as it’s not showing up in a search. That would mean it’s fake or malicious, as they don’t remove anything for other reasons.

rpa says:

One of my coworkers who has been interested in these LEAKS explained that it’s actually not don’t by accident/stolen with the company, but that EA allows the leak to happen because it increases the revenue and (something else) with the game and company.  They make more money through the game being leaked out.  if I can get him on here to explain it that would help. It’s one reason why basically everything (movies, games, music, etc) has a leaked version out!

Didn’t make sense to me at all till after it was fully explained by him. Yet that was months ago so don’t recall the whole story, other than the company makes more money letting out a leak.

Can ANYONE back me up here and explain this better??

Monte says:

But, DRM has little to no effect on piracy… You fell right into "Their" trap

You see the uber-secret copyright conference is actually a front for the Epically-Secret-Anti-Used-Games-Sales-Alliance

DarkSaber says:

Can you SERIOUSLY see THE NEXT SIMS GAME flopping? (Sucking is a subjective term, I’ve always thought The Sims series sucked.)

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

DarkSaber says:

I thought Spore was a zero day pirated game, not an early leak?

EDIT: Oh, hang on, now I think I vaguely remember it coming out on torrents sometime in the week before release. Only vaguely though, Spore was always a non-entity on my gaming radar.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

GoodRobotUs says:

Yup, that there’s increasing evidence that Piracy has far less impact on Profit margins, because a lot of pirates wouldn’t spend the money if they didn’t get it for free, especially with a program that is certainly going to be episodic in nature.

Still, I’ll hold off on the conspiracy theorems for now, since there’s no real evidence either way, and I’m more inclined to think Security hole than planned strategem, especially since exactly the same thing happened with Spore, and that WAS heavily DRMed.

DarkSaber says:

Surely that’s enough to turn any girl good? (I keed, I keed!)

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

DarkSaber says:

Something we don’t? I suppose that might be that they are still gonna make a gillion dollars off this even if it’s leaked?

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

GoodRobotUs says:

Ironically enough, it wouldn’t be the first time techniques such as this have been used, however, in this case, I can’t see EA being willing to lose the income, unless, of course, they know something we don’t about the income effect of Piracy 😉

Dun dun DUNNNN!!

DarkSaber says:

Link it into this uber-secret copyright conference thing and you’ve got a winner!

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

MaskedPixelante says:

Time for the conspiracy nuts.

EA leaked the entire game onto the torrent trackers ON PURPOSE to create a fake outrage that would convince other developers to start using DRM.

—You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

Spartan says:

If it is a Reloaded release it is legit.

"The most difficult pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much and power over little" – Herodotus

Alevan says:

As much as I love the Sims 3 and would LOVE it now…

… I preordered it. I will be the good little girl and wait for it to come out in a few weeks. I will buy it, I will enjoy it and the benefits that I will recieve from buying it.

Amy Levandoski

shady8x says:

Wow it is already leaked? Wow I hope they didn’t pay too much for the DRM that is going to break computers for hundreds of their legal customers…

P.S. I found several credible sources that say it is not a fake.

MapleHarp says:

EA had this coming to them. They selfishly delayed the game in February for PR reasons and angered a lot of people. I hope more people download it then they do buy it, that will hurt them where it counts and maybe next time they wont delay a game to make their stock prices look better.

emil300 says:

I don’t really think EA is gonna be hurt, sales-wise. At least not as drastically as one would think. A lot of Sims fans pre-ordered The Sims 3 and if I’m correct, those pre-orders had a non-refundable down payment that would make it a shame not to buy the game anymore (at least, that’s how it is in our shops here).

And don’t forget the Collector’s Edition, which offers a lot of stuff that may not be in the torrent download. Not only that, there are a lot of truly loyal Sims fans who are still buying the game even though it’s up for download. I myself am downloading the game right now, but I’m still going to buy the Collector’s Edition when it comes out.

I wish they had pushed through with the February release date, and their reason for pushing it to June just because they wanted “additional time to build the worldwide marketing campaign” is not exactly an excuse people would accept just like that.

night quotes

E. Zachary Knight says:

AS I recall, the Sims 3 does not have DRM aside from a disk check when playing. Since disk checks can and have been spoofed rather easily, this really isn’t a slap in the face of DRM. If anything, this can be taken as evidence of the necessity of DRM. Not that I feel that way, it can just be seen that way.

To me this screams of better security and screening of all people who have access to the Master Gold copies of the game.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

GoodRobotUs says:

Well, I don’t support the concept of this at all, but I must admit smirking a little when I thought of the ESA’s recent comments about how DRM is such a succesful preventer of Piracy…

sddorme says:

Look, yes we’ve been waiting for this game for a while, but this isn’t what you should do. First thing, more than half of the game is missing (according to Sims 3 on wikipedia), and it causes crashes to your computer. But worst of all, it’s very easy for people to track down who downloaded this so you can get arrested. Please just wait a week.

DarkSaber says:

True, but that kinda takes it under faith that for once EA are NOT going to treat their customers like simple-minded ignorant idiots.

Which seems unlikely considering how they are trying to sneak DRM through the backdoor with Sims 3 by requiring the EA Downloader for patching, which still installs DRM.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

gamadaya says:

It doesn’t matter what they say. If they start pushing DRM harder, it will be because of other reasons. They, just like everyone else, know that DRM doesn’t have anything to do with the leak.

Believe in something! Even if it’s wrong, believe in it! -Glenn Beck

DarkSaber says:

And do you really think EA are gonna say "We have lousy security" or are they going to say "The pirates strike again."

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Hitodama says:

Seriously what is up with that. That is something I really hate about The Sims and Spore. I thought these were video games, not trading cards! I can expect one or two expansions, but 67 is rediculous!

Michael Chandra says:

*Points back at his own post*

Immediate response from several GP members back then was that for updates a program with DRM is required. In other words, EA would be deliberately deceiving the public.

shady8x says:

From what I understood, the only thing EA backed of from is the limited installs part. I thought they intended to install the rest of the DRM as usual… Am I wrong about that?

This actually seems like a ploy by EA… If they leak their own version then they get a bunch of free media attention, they get to justify future DRM attempts. Most importantly however, is the fact that they make most of their money from 50 or so expansions for every sims game so if so many extra people have the vanilla version, they think it will be much much simpler to sell those expansions…

or they have bad internal security…

Kajex says:

Oh, so your friend has it too?

The Sims is fucking boring. If I want to be entertained with micromanaging, I’ll play Battle for Middle Earth 2.

Ashkihyena says:

I could see this, it is EA after all, second only to Activision in evilness, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it returns on the expansions and stuff packs.

DarkSaber says:

Would it be TOO cynical of me to consider the possibility that EA leaked it deliberately so they can justify the worst DRM you’ve ever seen on their next games?

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

gamadaya says:

If an entire game is leaked early, I think it’s less of a DRM problem, and more a an EA security problem.

Believe in something! Even if it’s wrong, believe in it! -Glenn Beck

DarkSaber says:

Sims 3 leaked, more restrictive DRM on all EA software from now on at 11.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Vordus says:

This is only to be expected. All the biggest music albums, most anticipated video games, and practically every DVD worth buying will all appear on torrents weeks before their eventual release. It’s moreorless inevitable that the release process has at least one weak link because file-sharers are so common.

It’s an unescapable hazard of the digital age.