Wal-Mart's Game Trade Kiosks Actually Belong to e-Play

May 20, 2009 -

On Monday the gaming press, including GamePolitics, was abuzz with news that Wal-Mart had apparently entered the used game business in direct competition with category leader GameStop.

However, Ars Technica's Ben Kuchera dug deeper into the story and reports that the game trade machines currently located at dozens of Wal-Marts in the Northeast actually belong to Ohio-based e-Play. Although it's not stated, one would assume there is some type of financial arrangement between the companies. e-Play CEO Alan Rudy told Ars Techica:

Walmart is providing vestibule space to e-Play at 77 of its Northeast region stores. Some stores have Video Game Buy Back only kiosks and some kiosks are full-functioning, but e-Play manages all aspects of kiosk operations for both types. While we have over 200 other retail locations, this is currently a pilot program with Walmart, but we are optimistic of its success and future expansion.

Rudy believes e-Play is well-positioned against newcomer to the used game trade, Amazon.com:

The e-Play trade method does not involve printing shipping labels or waiting on snail mail to deliver your games or to return your Amazon gift card. Soon, e-Play will also post their buy-back pricing online so customers can preview this information before going to a kiosk.

Check out the Ars piece for some fascinating details on how e-Play machines keep traders honest.

Comments

Re: Wal-Mart's Game Trade Kiosks Actually Belong to e-Play

Here's the Ars link for those who want it: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/05/the-facts-behind-the-game-tra...

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Mattsworknamehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Vx4_prmvo09/01/2015 - 3:18am
MattsworknameTotal bisquit talkes about why teh Deus X pre order systems is garbage.09/01/2015 - 3:18am
PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm