Congressional Anti-Piracy Caucus Singles Out Five Nations

On Wednesday game publishers’ lobbying group ESA issued a press release praising members of the bipartisan Congressional International Anti-Piracy Caucus for singling out Spain, Canada, Mexico, Russia and China as anti-piracy priorities for 2009.

ESA CEO Michael Gallagher praised the IAPC in a press release:

We thank the Caucus for this year issuing a challenge to Canada and Mexico to pass additional legislative protections – such as prohibitions on ‘mod chips’ and other circumvention devices that are used to play pirated games – and to follow through with greater enforcement and border controls.

We also thank the Caucus for highlighting the severe problems that exist for our industry and other copyright industries in Spain. Online and peer-to-peer piracy are rampant and virtually unchecked in Spain and in other major European markets…

But Nick Farrell of the U.K.-based Inquirer, doesn’t think much of the caucus, implying that the senators and representatives on the IAPC have been lobbied by the RIAA and other IP rights holders. Farrell writes:

The RIAA has got its tame politicians in the US congress to rail at other nations that don’t hold such a jack-booted attitude toward copyright infringement as the Land of the Free…

It seems almost as though the entertainment mafiaa would like the US to mount a cross-border raid into Canada over its perceived lack of draconian copyright enforcement and wants the US to treat its NATO ally Spain as a pariah for having the temerity to say that peer-to-peer file sharing over the Internet isn’t a crime.

57 comments

The Hangd Man says:

Amusingly enough, this only goes to show what limited power groups like the RIAA actually have when it comes to trying to enforce their views on the world. It also shows us which politicians they have in their pockets so we can replace them during the next round of elections.

Again these corporate groups are flailing about trying to excise the symptoms while ignoring the causes, and it’s only serving to make it worse for them. Only JT does a better job of shooting himself in the foot.

I hate broccoli/ and think it totally sucks/ Why isn’t it meat?

prh99 says:

I wonder how long congress will allow themselves to be made fools of by the likes of the MPAA, RIAA, ESA, and BSA?
    We know these groups are lying, especially when it comes to Canada. Their own numbers contradict Canada’s inclusion.

ZippyDSMlee says:

No a Quizafart!

….anyway… the only shit on my head is in my head 😛

I am a criminal because I purchase media,I am a criminal because I use media, I am a criminal because I chose to own media..We shall remain criminals until Corporate stay’s outside our bedrooms..

TBoneTony says:

Some people claim that the Dreamcast failed because of piracy, but in reality piracy was really easy on the original PlayStation and the PS2.

So for companies who claim that Piracy is bad and will bankrupt the industry, I think that is a huge exageration.

As long a companies can sell their games at honest prices that are good for the consumer and also good for the industry, that will be ok.

High prices for Videogames will only encourage Piracy for most who can’t afford Videogames.

So that is how I look at it.

TBoneTony says:

Here is a plan to try and stop piracy, make sure your games are better than the pirated ones and don’t try to ripoff consumenrs with high prices.

You can’t blame people for pirating, but the same can be said about Publishers who release great games in one area of the world and the other area who don’t get the game will be forced to Importing even though Importing is way different than Pirating.

Shahab says:

I just wanted to come in here and say I appreciate the balanced coverage you’ve provided. I think we all know that when it comes to enforcing IP, and copyright law in general, our government here in the U.S. is bought and paid for.

Even though your parent company is the ECA you still provided the counter-point, albeit through another’s words (The Inq.).

Bravo and thanks for the re-affirmation of your journalistic integrity.

Wolvenmoon says:

Yeah, go ahead, persecute the pirates. Piss off the geeks that know how to hack their software. They’ll advance security software hugely. Guess what happens then? The pirates go crazy as they’ve created a completely anonymous network that cannot be cracked that’s open to the general public.

Then the real criminals begin using it and a coalition of whiny bitch companies forecasting gloom and doom about the economy because their customers are fed up with their attempts to exert control over their consumers’ purchases and have done something about it, become the least of the U.S.’s worries as pedophiles, terrorists, hackers, murderers, thieves, and meglomaniacal computer entities bent on world domination have absolutely unhindered anonymity to carry out their evil diabolical schemes.

Okay, without using cheesy language and buzzwords: This will only result in a limitless talentbase willing to work huge numbers of hours for no pay and no recognition becoming angry and doing something about it, such as completely disguising themselves from law enforcement. This is the same talent base that reverse engineered world of warcraft, maple story, and other MMORPGs with packet sniffers, memory editors, and good ol’ fashioned reverse engineering of the client-side executables to create private servers.

How about putting consumer protections in place so that the only pirates are really just thieves and young teenagers without the money to pay for the games they want? How about setting up a student discount system? Academic discounts work! Check out http://www.dreamspark.com and http://www.academicsuperstore.com . How about a "Make all "A"s and one "B" and get 75% off your game purchases for a semester."

So ridiculous to chase around students trying to beat money out of them.

I will not buy securom games. http://www.wolvenmoon.com/sharedfiles/message1.jpg and http://www.wolvenmoon.com/sharedfiles/message2.jpg

JDKJ says:

What’d you use to blend it? A Quizanart? And if that’s the same calico that was sitting on your head the other day, it could just as easily be shitting on your head today.

Alex says:

At least itunes removed DRM from their songs.

I’m not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I’m not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don’t know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

ZippyDSMlee says:

I have some nice blended musktard made from the finest ..er…ingredients..
    And what kind of Katatchup do you want Siamese or calico?
    ….uhg…the calico just left a pile of unrefined musktard….

Lou says:

Why is the ESA and the RIAA so poised on forcing other nations into making so called "anti-piracy" legislations?? Seriously. It’s like the freaking mob and I am not joking here. What’s next? Going after iTunes? oh no I forgot iTunes literaly belongs to the RIAA.

Alex says:

prohibitions on "mod chips"

So when are we going to outlaw DVD burners?

ZippyDSMlee says:

Ironic coming from you, no?

And I take offence to that too BTW….

😛

SimonBob says:

They’re just jealous that we can still buy mod chips up here. 😛 Why, last week I went down to the corner store and bought twenty mod chips for a nickel!  And tomorrow I’m going to distribute them amongst my piracy-minded chums so we can play all the imported Japanese titles and homebrew games we please!  HA-HAHAHA!  Take that, American electronic entertainment economy!  We’re putting a hole in your profits tens of dollars deep!

The Mammon Philosophy

JDKJ says:

Just because you’re completely bat-shit crazy doesn’t mean you can’t get onto the Internet and post stuff on GamePolitics. But it doesn’t neccessarily mean that you should.

SeanB says:

Stupid thing is you dont even need a modchip to pirate games for the computer. Xbox 360, and the Wii. You just need a general level of inteligence.

OUTLAW INTELIGENCE!

GoodRobotUs says:

Wow, I’m REALLY convinced by that rational, reasoned reply! There’s not a hint of Bias in your approach, I’m so impressed.

Wish I was a ‘Eurpoean Master’, rather than some poor schmuck in the UK simply trying to get by, just like everyone else on the planet, but that’s cool, if blame Canada doesn’t work, Blame Europe is another good excuse, God forbid you should actually look to your own house, of course, that’d actually require some self-responsiblity, and we wouldn’t want that, would we?

Wormdundee says:

O man, you crack me up dude. Seriously, where the hell did you get the idea that the US ever blamed Canada for 9/11? You represent all that is wrong with humanity.

But seriously guys, this is the dude who described Japan as being a "culture of rape". Yes, that is the prime factor in describing Japan’s culture from his viewpoint.

Austin_Lewis says:

I know Obama sucks and all, but this is ridiculous.  Where are you getting the Jews out of this article, anyway?

Jesus Christ, please direct me to the cereal I need to purchase in order to get the decoder ring to make sense of this bullshit.

Valdearg says:

Ha… hahahaha….hah..haha….haha…

*cough*

Ok, as much as I’d like to point out and say, "SEE! THIS is the Right Wing insanity! LOOK!", I wont.

Even I know this idiot is crazier and less informed than anything even the worst of the worst  Conservative Politcs. The Knoxville church shooter has a step up on this guy when it comes to sanity.

Besides, proving Conservative Incompetence isn’t fun when it’s easy! :)

ZippyDSMlee says:

Well King Dubya would have gotten there in time if Dark lord Cheany cared about media, he was to busy making deals with the oil and power industry…..its not like this is anything new those that lead us are nobles who live off the whims of conglomerates.

DarkSaber says:

If that was meant to be making a point, it failed.

If that was meant to be funny, it failed.

If that was meant to make ANY sort of sense, it failed.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

ArmadilloMan says:

The most perfidious way of harming a cause consists of defending it deliberately with faulty arguments. — Friedrich Nietzsche

Please stop trying to represent conservatives.

Neo_DrKefka says:

Everyone first bow your head and pray to the Lord God Obama first the Jewish Heads of the ESA and ECA want to let you know they support our President even though they support the great Islamic Freedom Fighters!

But as you might already have known the God-King Barrack Obama and his white house have came our publicly and blamed Canada for 9/11. Yes the Democratic Party not to offend Mexicos border have taken the position to attack Canada and blaming them for 9/11 and for the Overseas Contingency Operation which Obama now has renamed from the War on Terror because Muslims are great and we don’t want to offend them!

So Liberals late at night when you hate yourself and your country and look your European Masters and Canadian Betters to see how you can better yourself remember Canada is no longer better then you!

Canada is currently though in defense mode seeing the Democratic Party are attacking them on all front. That part and them blaming them for 9/11 with the Obama White House is very true and of course Obama renaming WoT

EZK: I am completely baffled by what is stated here. I want to delete it for being way off topic, but I can’t seem get my mind out of the spin this thing has sent it in to do so.

Neo_DrKefka says:

Those are two vile Canadian Sites who dare to make a rebuttal that Holy Doctrine the Obama Administration has laid out and Canada dares to be angry that his holiness Barrack Hussein Obama is blaming Canada for 9/11.

Hey, don’t worry the Obama Administration has said worse about the United States, in February his Administration came out and made a press release that everyone in this nation including those who voted for him, "this nation is a nation of cowards."

TBoneTony says:

LOL!!!

South Park the Movie.

I have that song on my iTunes.

Everytime I think about the song, I imagine how many parental feminist groups would one day blame Japan for Hentai and I can only sit back and think of how much this song makes sence. 100% accurate about American Political culture.

JB says:

Oh well… time to put on my tri-cornered hat, my eye patch and parrot, I guess.

With all their beady little eyes
    And flapping heads so full of lies
    Blame Canada!
    Blame Canada!
    We need to form a full assault
    It’s Canada’s fault!
    They’re not even a real country anyway.

… I wish I had a pirate emote.
    ZippyDSMlee says:

Zel

Well how soscity molds words/meanings can’t be ignored but it would not hurt if people read a dictionary now and then.

zel says:

True enough about dead language, still sometimes its just too far out in left field. Fascism is one of those where its too often dilluted so far down people say it and have no idea what they themselves mean by it.

Like i said in my original reply about that, its not that i disagree we’re heading there i’m just saying we’re far from first 😉

————————————

I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

ZippyDSMlee says:

Zel

It sounds better than "Corporatism" and if they did run government in a absolute fashion it would be as bad or worse than anything defined under fascism normally.

So its not really misused,besides if meanings and words did not change English would be a dead lanague.

zel says:

alot of people also use it wrong just because it sounds so harsh.

thats part of my point, people tend to just try and assign it to anything they deem bad by using half the definition of it. Honestly if you cut it down to just the first part of the definition alot of countries fall under that, doesn’t make em fascist.

————————————

ZippyDSMlee says:

fascism

One entry found.

Main Entry:
    fas·cism           Listen to the pronunciation of fascism
    Pronunciation:
    \ˈfa-ˌshi-zəm also ˈfa-ˌsi-\
    Function:
    noun
    Etymology:
    Italian fascismo, from fascio bundle, fasces, group, from Latin fascis bundle & fasces fasces
    Date:
    1921

1often capitalized : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition.

2: a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control.

==========================================================

autocratic=absolute

A lot of people use it for corporate based control over government and I tend to prefer it over the strict sense of dictatorship or authoritarianism.

zel says:

fas·cism (fāsh’Ä­z’əm)
    n.

1. often Fascism
      1. A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.
      2. A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating such a system of government.
    2. Oppressive, dictatorial control.

Somehow I think we’re not at the top of that list, but i do get your point, climbing that ladder a little bit here… :)  doh! need to climb back down

————————————

ZippyDSMlee says:

SO where the top fascism list? The USA is number one on it!!
    (fascism=corporate controlled government)

JustChris says:

I just read through the recent news article in the link, and they compare saving the media industry to saving the auto industry. What I want to know is how they hope to extend U.S. copyright law into other reaches of the world, especially through the intagible realm of the internet.

NovaBlack says:

"[IAPC] singled out Baidu, China’s largest Internet search engine, as being "responsible for the vast majority of illegal music downloading in China." That’s interesting, because Baidu does the same thing as Google which, as a powerful US company, the music industry has not dared to denounce…"

lol awesomely true.

axiomatic says:

I seem to have heard an idiom before that goes something like ""People who live in glass houses should not throw stones."

Making the claim that they are is a little hypocritical at this time don’t you think?

zel says:

Canada, rly? I can understand mexico, china, russia, but Canada???

————————————