GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

May 22, 2009 -

This week's announcement that California would ask the U.S. Supreme Court to review the constitutionality of its 2005 violent video game law did not escape the notice of Woody Hearn, who draws GU Comics.

At left is Hearn's rendition of California State Senator Leland Yee (D), the driving force behind the contested legislation. There's also mention of a mysterious man named "Jack." Who could that be?

Click here to view the full comic.

Comments

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

Swing and a miss. Again.

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

So, your comic will feature caricature growth?

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

I have two apologies to make.

1. Sorry it wasn't funny to some of you. It amused me and that's the only consistant guage I have.

2. The caricature of Yee is horrible. I can do better. But, I had to rush yesterday morning. Unless I miss my guess, I'll have more chances at caricature redemption in the future.

Woody Hearn GUComics.Com

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

I personally thought I was quite decent. I personally got a kick from the stormtrooper comic a few back though. and thanks for bringing the issue aboue the EULA to my attention. I agree its utter bullcrap. Keep up the good work!

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

I think he is missing the point of why Jack is so hated.  It's not because he criticizes games, it's because of the abusive, dismissive, and childish way he speaks about and to gamers.  Leland Yee shows respect and civility in his interactions with us.  Jack does not seem to comprehend those things.  That is why Jack is vilified.

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

Yee and Jack don't get along, eh?

*Can't remember if they truly don't.*

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

John Bruce has said that he spoke to Yee informing him that his attempt at legislating video games was unconstitutional and Yee rejected the advice. Not sure why John Bruce thinks that the Cali law is unconstitutional while his own drafted legislation which very much resembles what Cali is trying to do is constitutional.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

Because in Jackworld if he does it it's right, if anyone else does it it's wrong.

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

GUcomics is rarely funny...

Trevor Gray ganjookie@yahoo.com

Trevor Gray
ganjookie@yahoo.com

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

Not funny, but i do see where that comic strip is going.

Montewell thanks for the info Eisen; try that the next time i need something off the eshop09/23/2014 - 3:54pm
james_fudgere: MP, i've sent tech support a note - thank you :)09/23/2014 - 3:14pm
IanCNah that wasnt directed at you Andrew :)09/23/2014 - 3:00pm
Papa MidnightRe: SIEGE 2014 Keynote: oh dear...09/23/2014 - 2:44pm
MaskedPixelanteDear GP, something called "doubleverify" is causing some nasty browser issues on my end. Probably one of your ads.09/23/2014 - 2:36pm
Andrew EisenOh hell no. No, it took Nintendo a dog's age just to get to the point its competitors have been at for a while! (And it's still not there yet, in a lot of respects.)09/23/2014 - 2:26pm
IanCSame as PSN handles it, fi you are trying to say only nintendo do that.09/23/2014 - 2:23pm
Andrew EisenYou have to try to purchase something first. Pick a game, hit purchase and if your wallet doesn't have enough to cover it, you'll be given an option to "add exact funds" or something like that.09/23/2014 - 2:05pm
MonteI have seen no option for that on my 3DS; anytime i want to add funds it only gives me the option to add in denominations of $10, 20, 50 or 10009/23/2014 - 2:03pm
IanCWhat Andrew Wilson said. PSN is the same when you make a purchase over a certain price (£5 in the UK)09/23/2014 - 2:02pm
Andrew EisenNeither eShop charges sales tax either. At least in California.09/23/2014 - 2:00pm
Andrew EisenBoth Wii U and 3DS eShops allow you to add funds in the exact amount of whatever's in your shopping cart. If your game is $39.99, you can add exactly $39.99.09/23/2014 - 1:57pm
Infophile@Matthew Wilson: As I understand it, any regulations to force tax online would also set up an easy database for these stores to use, minimizing overhead.09/23/2014 - 1:30pm
MonteReally, the eshop just does next to nothing to make buying digitally advantagous for the customer. Its nice to have the game on my 3DS, but i can get more for less buying a physical copy at retail. And that's not even counting buying used09/23/2014 - 1:18pm
MonteIanC, The Eshop wallet system only lets you add funds in set denominations and the tax makes sure you no longer have round numbers so you ALWAYS loose money. A $39.99 game for instance requires you to add $50 instead of just $4009/23/2014 - 1:13pm
Matthew Wilsonbut thats just it those sites, even the small ones, sell all over the country.09/23/2014 - 11:12am
Neenekoeither that or it would follow the car model of today. big ticket items are taxed according to your residence, not where you buy them.09/23/2014 - 11:07am
NeenekoI doubt it would be the retailer that handles the tax in the first place. If it goes through it would probably be folded in as a service on the processor end or via 'turbotax' style applications.09/23/2014 - 11:05am
Matthew Wilsonsimple there are over 10k tax areas in the us for sales tax. it would be impossible for small online retailers to handle that.09/23/2014 - 10:55am
IanCWhats wrong with charging tax in an online shop?09/23/2014 - 10:47am