GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

May 22, 2009 -

This week's announcement that California would ask the U.S. Supreme Court to review the constitutionality of its 2005 violent video game law did not escape the notice of Woody Hearn, who draws GU Comics.

At left is Hearn's rendition of California State Senator Leland Yee (D), the driving force behind the contested legislation. There's also mention of a mysterious man named "Jack." Who could that be?

Click here to view the full comic.

Comments

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

Swing and a miss. Again.

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

So, your comic will feature caricature growth?

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

I have two apologies to make.

1. Sorry it wasn't funny to some of you. It amused me and that's the only consistant guage I have.

2. The caricature of Yee is horrible. I can do better. But, I had to rush yesterday morning. Unless I miss my guess, I'll have more chances at caricature redemption in the future.

Woody Hearn GUComics.Com

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

I personally thought I was quite decent. I personally got a kick from the stormtrooper comic a few back though. and thanks for bringing the issue aboue the EULA to my attention. I agree its utter bullcrap. Keep up the good work!

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

I think he is missing the point of why Jack is so hated.  It's not because he criticizes games, it's because of the abusive, dismissive, and childish way he speaks about and to gamers.  Leland Yee shows respect and civility in his interactions with us.  Jack does not seem to comprehend those things.  That is why Jack is vilified.

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

Yee and Jack don't get along, eh?

*Can't remember if they truly don't.*

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

John Bruce has said that he spoke to Yee informing him that his attempt at legislating video games was unconstitutional and Yee rejected the advice. Not sure why John Bruce thinks that the Cali law is unconstitutional while his own drafted legislation which very much resembles what Cali is trying to do is constitutional.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

Because in Jackworld if he does it it's right, if anyone else does it it's wrong.

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

GUcomics is rarely funny...

Trevor Gray ganjookie@yahoo.com

Trevor Gray
ganjookie@yahoo.com

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

Not funny, but i do see where that comic strip is going.

Poll

How do you feel about microtransactions in $60 video games?:

Andrew EisenNope.08/27/2015 - 4:17pm
ZippyDSMleeDid you guys cover Fatal Frame 5 being nintendo Eshop only?08/27/2015 - 3:55pm
Big Perm120 bucks for a tetanus shot. Thanks Obama08/27/2015 - 3:01pm
Andrew EisenMatthew - Of course they do. I wasn't suggesting otherwise. Hell, Quiet's already been cosplayed quite a bit.08/27/2015 - 1:25pm
Big PermThere's been some pretty good Kill La Kill cosplay08/27/2015 - 12:56pm
Matthew WilsonI saw someone cosplay as the main charector from kill la kill last year at pax, so people do it.....08/27/2015 - 12:55pm
Andrew EisenPerm - Well yeah, Kojima himself said something along the lines of "Cosplay this, I dare you! No, seriously. Please cosplay this!" I was just wondering if there was an in-universe explanation.08/27/2015 - 12:45pm
Andrew EisenCheck out last week's story on The State of Play book for an updated cover and a list of all the authors and their essay titles! http://gamepolitics.com/2015/08/21/state-play-looks-current-state-video-games08/27/2015 - 12:44pm
Big PermI figured it was because titties are awesome08/27/2015 - 12:37pm
Andrew EisenI'm still waiting to see if any reviews spill the beans on the story reasons behind Quiet's goofy getup in Metal Gear Solid 508/27/2015 - 12:33pm
ZippyDSMleeHave you seen what the Deva wrestlers wear? Now lets get all that Japan only DLC for DOA over here, and DOA Volly ball,ect let the whining commence!08/27/2015 - 12:18pm
Matthew Wilsonsuprisingly, there has not been the negative reaction I was expecting.08/27/2015 - 12:13pm
Andrew EisenWe should devote a segment to R. Mika's costume on the podcast. It'll be great!08/27/2015 - 11:40am
Andrew EisenMatt - So... who is the producer of the video you linked?08/27/2015 - 11:15am
ZippyDSMleeAnd its not as bad as rumble roses :P08/27/2015 - 11:14am
ZippyDSMleeE. Zachary Knight: I dunno wrestling is about spectacle nd bad costumes are part and parcel of it..08/27/2015 - 11:13am
Big PermThis costume is amazing. Praise it08/27/2015 - 10:59am
E. Zachary KnightOh wow. This costume is obnoxious. Why? The character and moves are cool but man that costume. Ugh. http://kotaku.com/r-mika-and-her-ridiculous-outfit-join-street-fighter-v-172692528208/27/2015 - 10:56am
Big PermHe leveled up08/27/2015 - 8:24am
black mantaBrad Bushman's back again, saying how the WDBJ shooter's use of a body camera made it look like an FPS. http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2015/08/27/435076699/why-shooters-record-themselves-in-the-act08/27/2015 - 8:01am