Japanese Copyright Boss Calls DS Piracy Terrorism

A leading copyright enforcement official in Japan has likened individuals who pirate Nintendo DS games to terrorists.

tech.radar reports that Yutaka Kubota (left), who heads Japan’s Association of Copyright for Computer Software, made the comment to Famitsu magazine:

This is an issue that affects our national interests and, personally, I see it as a form of information terrorism that is crushing Japan’s industry.

tech.radar also notes that Kubota’s organization has close ties to Nintendo. The DS manufacturer claims that 120 million bootleg copies of DS games were downloaded through the end of 2007. Such activity is not illegal in Japan, but pending legislation would make such downloading a crime.

27 comments

Spartan says:

There already is a terror plot in operation against the second-hand market. It is called DRM and it is pure evil dont ever think otherwise.

—————————————————————————

"The most difficult pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much and power over little" – Herodotus

Spartan says:

The problem is that the copyright cartels ARE the real torrorists to society and a down-right plague on culture.

—————————————————————————

ZAR says:

Do you really expect anything else but sock puppet talk from a sock puppet?

Come on guys, it’s his job! If his money came from the Japanese Farmer’s Association he’d claim that having small fruit plants on your balcony is "terrorism".

ZAR.

ZippyDSMlee says:

Pirates vrs ninjas!! Only Hitler has the ninjas….on snap!!

I am a criminal because I purchase media,I am a criminal because I use media, I am a criminal because I chose to own media..We shall remain criminals until Corporate stay’s outside our bedrooms..

Father Time says:

Who would’ve thought that one day this wouldn’t be a gag at propaganda from the 50s but instead a criticism of modern day hyperbole with a cold war flair.

Calling it terrorism is a disgrace and the person should be chastised for that, real terrorism is far worse than game pirating. At worst game pirating can be compared to the black market for stolen goods, their motivation is profit and nothing more, not political or religious reasons but profit plain and simple.

—————————————————-

Wormdundee says:

Hah, as if we’re going take anything said by a child rapist seriously! Wait, what’s that? He’s not a rapist? But I said he was, therefore he is!

I mean cmon, obviously bootlegging DS games is not a good thing, but equating it to terrorism? What does ‘information terrorism’ even mean?

Terrorism – the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, esp. for political purposes.

I’m not really sure how you can use violence via ‘information’, I suppose you could use threats, but a threat without previous use of violence isn’t very threatening..

Afirejar says:

Worst hyperbole in there isn’t DS game piracy being terrorism but the idea, that the Japanese industry is so dependent on the Nintendo DS that video game piracy can crush it.

ZippyDSMlee says:

And I call CP totalitarianism, fascism so HA! BACK AT YOU!!! You morons have gotten so Gdamn greedy and stupid you have to think that everything that might slight you in the tinniest amount is terrorism…. The game genie/shark is terrorism because it lets you play a game for the lulz and not strictly (and boring) how it was made….

Craig R. says:

This is the most asanine comment I’ve heard regarding video games since, well, our own government here in the States made the same kind of bullshit connections a couple of years ago regarding piracy and how it funnels money to terrorists.

Murdats says:

We need to remove your freedoms.. its for the children, otherwise the terrorists win and only peadophiles would be against this, are you a terrorist peadophile?

DarkSaber says:

Someone should send a mailbomb to this guys office so the moron can learn the difference between downloading a bootleg and terrorism.

DISCLAIMER: Don’t though, it would be a frightfully silly thing to do.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

SimonBob says:

At best (or worst?) it could be called intellectual terrorism, if the ROMs were being downloaded with specific intent to defraud the company from which you’re technically stealing.  Which in my case is absolutely correct.  I can’t wait to stiff the big N for the forty bucks I can’t actually pay them to get a copy of Mother 3!  Suck on that, Japanese economy!

ps. I’m also Canadian and therefore a member of the Big Five Pirate Council.  Come and get me. 8)

The Mammon Philosophy

Krono says:

Terrorism not being the correct term is a vast understatement at best. It’s the worst kind of hyperbole that equates people that aren’t much more than small time rip offs of companies, with mass murderers.

-Gray17

Kajex says:

Oh FUCK this guy! This moron is like every other whiney lobbyist who thinks slapping the word "terrorism" is a reasonable way to garner focus and credibility for whatever the hell they’re protecting or fighting for. This is akin to anti-breastfeeding groups who compare flashing a nipple around a child to sexually abusing children- there’s no goddamn basis for the claim, and replacing one word with another isn’t the same message.

Merriam-Webster definition

BearDogg-X says:

Every member of the Parents Television Council is.

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

Conster says:

Damn! He’s onto us! Our secret plot to instill fear in the hearts of software developers everywhere by stealing their games on such a massive scale that they no longer dare making any games except for My Little Pony and Barbie, is ruined!

I’d better tell Jack about this! Ohmanohman he is going to be so angry…

</sarcasm>