Satirical FPS Targets Iranian President

A new first-person shooter which its publisher describes as "hysterical" and "outrageous" drops players into a fight with virtual Iranian forces; its ultimate mission is a face-off with Iran’s president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Durka 3D: Quest for Ahmadinejad takes its name from the faux Farsi spoken by the puppet characters of the 2004 comedy film Team America: World Police. A press release from Petrilla Entertainment describes the downloadable PC game:

Durka 3D: The Fall of Ahmadinejad is a full-fledged fast-action shooter that lets the player hunt down the Iranian dictator…

Scenes include bunkers filled with crates labeled "Not a crate destined for Iraqi insurgents," or missiles that say "Made in Russia," as well as battles where the enemy hurls insults at you in gibberish…

Designer Jesse Petrilla’s last effort was Quest for Saddam, an FPS hunt for the late Iraqi dictator. Islamic radicals subsequently used the Quest for Saddam engine to create a video game riposte, Night of Bush Capturing, which was widely criticized in the West. Given the history, it seems likely that Durka 3D will spark criticism from Iran, if not another instance of turnabout.

Commenting on his game via press release, Petrilla said:

Durka 3D goes beyond the politics surrounding the conflict. I created Durka 3D to attack a tyrant with Saturday Night Live type satire to relieve some of the stress many of us share.

GameCulture has more.

jedidethfreak says:

Say what you want to about Bush, but he’s got some moves.  Did you see how quickly he got out of the way of that shoe?  Also, I’m pretty sure he would have smacked the shoe thrower around if nobody else got to him first.

Freedom of speech means the freedom to say ANYTHING, so long as it is the truth. This does not exclude anything that might hurt someone’s feelings.

mdo7 says:

Iran’s president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad saying this game is promoting anti-Iran and himself in 3…2…1

Glad they made this FPS, I hate that guy he wants to:

-blow Israel "off the map"

-Insult at the UN

-Held a Iranian-American women in Jail for a violation they never committed (anybody remember the recent one)

chadachada321 says:

10000% agreed on that. People assume that "spreading democracy" means "spreading rights." Some people and nations prefer being not a straight democracy, and some places work better that way.

Iran, on the other hand…

Kajex says:

If they made a game targeting our president, I’d play it too. 😀 If the point is just to have a little fun, then having it at the expense of nobody’s image is fine- it’s not like a game like that is going to damage somebody’s opinion of them. My current opinion of ALOT of people are shaped by the real world- for example, I LOVE Bill Cosby. If somebod makes a game funny and fun enough, I’ll play it, even if it involves his death- not because I want it to happen, but because I’m NOT taking the game seriously enough to NOT have fun. If people wanted serious introspection on a certain issue, they’d make a game that is enjoyable, but cater the idea seriously so as to invoke thought.

But if the gameplay is Serious Sam? Then I feel like I’m entitled to have at least SOME fun.

Arell says:

Contrary to what most Westerners believe, the President of Iran isn’t even the one in charge over there.  He has to answer to the Supreme Leader (nope, that isn’t a made up title).

Kajex says:

… That’s EXACTLY the kind of counter-argument critics use when they get all huffy at the fact that they can’t have FUN. That’s like making micropenis jokes, and being told by a guy who has small genitals that he doesn’t find the joke funny- sorry, but some of us LIKE laughing.

MechaTama31 says:

His line about the game "going beyond" the politics involved reminds me of filmmakers who say their movie is "not for critics".  It’s a shallow and illogical attempt to defuse criticism.

I think Ahmadinejad is kind of a dick too, but this… this is not constructive at all.

Kajex says:

In b4 political bawwing

Seriously, though. If it’s funny and fun, I’ll play it. I had no problem doing it with Wolfenstein, no problem doing it with Call of Duty 4, and if it’s good enough, I’ll have no problem playing this.