E3 Being Built

May 31, 2009 -

Destructoid has smuggled some E3 setup pix out of the Los Angeles Convention Center.

Dtoid's full gallery of pix is definitely worth checking out.

Posted in

Comments

Re: E3 Being Built

I've never really understood why they didn't, say, have E3 run for an entire week, but have the first (and perhaps second) day being media only. Then the rest of the time they can charge the public for entry and hopefully recoup most of their money from ticket sales.

Re: E3 Being Built

Probably because, 1) the first two days of media only is exhausting enough, and 2) these people have jobs to get back to.

Re: E3 Being Built

Of course ... there's also the cost of renting the hall, staffing the booths with both employees (who could be doing other work) and demonstrators (the interactive marketing professionals formerly known as "booth babes"), paying the food and lodging and transportation for that staff having to stay on location in LA, and finally the increased risk of exposing your content and booth to damage and pilfering by alleged members of the "press" who got in by claiming their blog made them industry professionals.

--Verbinator

--Verbinator

Re: E3 Being Built

And maybe three: The fanboys won'r be going: "OH BOY! It's E3! The number one EXCLUSIVE event that I wish I could be a part of, but I can't becuase I'm the general public, and not in the buisness or with a 'Offical' Gaming media outlet, so I'll watch it on G4 and drool and wish I was there. Come on ESA let us be a part of it too!"

Not that they ACTUALLY say that, but for me I guess it wouldn't matter is they were letting the general public in or not. I can't afford a plane trip to Los Angeles, and the money for a ticket into the event, and the price of the hotel room. I imagine a ticket would be quite expensive. I cana afford it, but I still fel like griping about it.

Oh well, I'll be looking at G4 and at Gamespot like the other geeks, but that will have to do.

- Warren

Consumer responsibility is just as important as Corporate responsibility. So, be responsible consumers.

Re: E3 Being Built

It really stinks to be told that they may be opening it to the public but then pulling that idea. I live near L.A. and I was looking forward to it.

----------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------- Debates are like merry go rounds. Two people take their positions then they go through the same points over and over and over again. Then when it's over they have the same positions they started in.

Re: E3 Being Built

Is it all contained in one hall this year? --Verbinator

--Verbinator

Re: E3 Being Built

Even after several years of crappy or boring shows, why does E3 still excite me?

Poll

Will we ever get Half-Life 3?:

SleakerIt's up to the companies to determine if they think running their ads on a controversial site may cause more damage to them, the only way they might get this is by feedback.10/02/2014 - 12:37pm
Sleakeropinion to a company on where they run ads.10/02/2014 - 12:36pm
Sleaker@Papa Midnight - Requesting ads get pulled from a site due to not agreeing with their message is not censorship. Funding and voicing your opinion are two completely separate topics. It's completely reasonable for people to voice their10/02/2014 - 12:35pm
Papa MidnightSame here, prh99.10/02/2014 - 12:31pm
prh99I played the first Half Life, haven't bothered with any of two. I like Portal more than Half Life anyway.10/02/2014 - 12:31pm
NeenekoI only got a short way into HL-1, but enjoyed HL-2. Probably because I do not like PC FPS games and HL-2 I got on console.10/02/2014 - 12:28pm
Andrew EisenI have a confession to make: I didn't really care for Half-Life.10/02/2014 - 12:27pm
Papa MidnightI don't think I've used the forums since the Wordpress days.10/02/2014 - 12:13pm
NeenekoI keep forgetting we even have forums.10/02/2014 - 11:48am
ZippyDSMleeA shame we can't have good convos in the forums, seems to me its time to nuke and restart fresh on them.10/02/2014 - 11:45am
Papa MidnightOh, no problem! Just wanted to let you know that it's what we're discussing. By all means, join in!10/02/2014 - 11:36am
E. Zachary KnightNeeneko, No problem. In juicy conversations, key points of discussion get pushed off quickly.10/02/2014 - 11:36am
NeenekoA rather scary censorship. I have known too many people and small companies destroyed by such pressure, so this unnerves me at a pretty personal level.10/02/2014 - 11:36am
NeenekoMy bad, I always have trouble working out what is going on in shoutbox10/02/2014 - 11:34am
Papa MidnightTo a point stated earlier, it very much is a form of indirect censorship. Rather than engage in rhetoric and debate, one side has instead chosen to cut-off opposing viewpoints at the knees and silence them via destroying their means of income.10/02/2014 - 11:28am
Papa MidnightNeeneko: the topic of Intel's dropping of Gamasutra is indeed part of this very ongoing conversation.10/02/2014 - 11:26am
NeenekoThis can't be good... http://games.slashdot.org/story/14/10/02/1558213/intel-drops-gamasutra-sponsorship-over-controversial-editorials10/02/2014 - 11:25am
Andrew EisenAnd there's also the consideration that the fact that a former IGN editor was one of the people who worked on the game's localization may be unknown (although in this specific case, probably not. Drakes been very visible at events IGN covers).10/02/2014 - 11:24am
Papa MidnightAlso, let's face it: people seem to believe that a conflict of interest can yield only positive coverage. Who is to say that Audrey Drake did not leave on bad terms with IGN (with several bridges burned in their wake)? That could yield negative coverage.10/02/2014 - 11:23am
Papa MidnightThat's a fair question, and it's where things get difficult. While Jose Otero may not have any cause to show favor, Jose's editor may, as may the senior editor (and anyone else involved in the process before it reaches publication).10/02/2014 - 11:21am