Does Punch-Out!! Character Shout Islamic Phrase?

A few months back there was a minor uproar surrounding "Islam is the light," a phrase which some people thought they heard uttered by both a talking baby doll and a children’s DS game.

In a video posted late last week on YouTube, a man claims that a character in Nintendo’s recently-released Wii title Punch-Out!! shouts "Allah Akbar," an Arabic phrase which translates to "God is great."

RevolutionOfCG, who describes himself as a conservative pundit in his YouTube profile, posted the clip of fighter Bald Bull and equates the character’s supposed utterance of the phrase with terrorism:

Allah Akbar or God Is Great. For those of you that don’t understand the implications of this. Let me put it to you this way. Virtually Every Muslim Terrorist has said this before they blew themselves up or in the case of 9-11, before they slammed into buildings…

Hailing from Istanbul Turkey, if we are to understand the implications of culture, Bald Bull is more than likely a Muslim…

Not even 8 years after 9-11 and are we going to accept this phrase in a video game Rated E for Everyone. What do the families of these heinous crimes think of this? Someone out there has to be appalled, I’m certain of that.

The narration of the video includes 9/11 footage of the second plane striking the World Trade Center. As to the phrase Allah Akbar, its Wikipedia page lists a variety of uses other than by terrorists:

This phrase is recited by Muslims in numerous different situations. For example, when they are happy or wish to express approval, when they want to praise a speaker, during battles, and even times of extreme stress or euphoria. It is also used by bombers or suicide bombers before they detonate.

The phrase is said during each stage of both obligatory prayers, which are supposed to be performed five times a day, and supererogatory prayers, which are performed at will…

Via: VC Review

Good Lord says:

"People will continue to put Islam down until Muslims openly denounce terrorism and actually help to destroy it"

Newsflash: You can’t "destroy" terror. It’s an emotion. People will always be afraid of things out of their control, and the people who terrorize them will continue to do so for an infinite number of reasons. That’s one of the things about heinous acts of violence: they’re scary.

"I also know that the Islamic people are unwilling to prove that by taking out terrorism."

You clearly don’t know much of anything.

Ratros says:

The GodMother:  When he comes in to the hair dresser’s for a makeover, you make him over!

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

Adamas Draconis says:

I love Robin Williams! "The mauve hand! Fairy Godfather, ‘Does this pistol make my ass look big’?"

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Conster says:

I’m pretty sure there were a lot of poor people hoping to have a life in America that they could never have in Europe.

The religious nuts just ran the place.

jedidethfreak says:

Just because some idiots believe that all Muslims are terrorists, do not believe that there are no more Muslim terrorists.  People will continue to put Islam down until Muslims openly denounce terrorism and actually help to destroy it, instead of claiming that the United States is looking to destroy Islam.  I know that a very small percentage of Muslims are terrorists, but I also know that the Islamic people are unwilling to prove that by taking out terrorism.

Freedom of speech means the freedom to say ANYTHING, so long as it is the truth. This does not exclude anything that might hurt someone’s feelings.

Monte says:

What i think is extra pathetic is that he deleted what sounded like a plausible argument to what else he might have been saying… I forget what the arabic was, but i think the explaination was that when he hits he says "take that" and when he misses he says "What a waste"… when those two terms are said back to back in arabic you get something that just happens to sound like "Allah Akbar"… it was definitely a comment that should have either been excepted as a possible interpretation, or if incorrect, should have been refuted…

the fact that he would delete the comment instead of doing either of those shows just what kind of guy he is (as if there was any doubt)

thefremen says:

The Gay Mafia is who you’ll be doing repetitive boring missions for in the next chapter of GTA IV. (between going bowling with your cousin of course)

Ryno says:

That’s what I was gonna say.

Saying that Jack Thompson is impotent is an insult to impotent men everywhere. They’ve got a whole assortment of drugs that can cure their condition; Jack, however…

DarkSaber says:

"Got thrown out from" is not the same as "Fled from".

If you get thrown out of a nightclub for being a dick, you don’t say you "Fled the nightclubs persecution". Unless of course you’re a nutjob extremist christian who can DO NO WRONG!!!

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Erik says:

If they were being kicked out I think that constitutes persecution, yes.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

Valdearg says:

Isn’t it comforting, knowing that our country was originally settled by Religious Nuts who were too extreme for even the 17th Century? At least we can look at the wingnuts today and go, "Well, at least they aren’t as bad as the Pilgrims were!"

DarkSaber says:

As in the settlers say they left to escape persecution, the rest of the world says they kicked them out?

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Torven says:

He also deleted a bucket-load of comments…granted, I could perhaps have been a bit more diplomatic in pointing out the whole Instanbul/Istanbul thing…

At least my refutation of that idiot "Moon God" crap got left in.

Valdearg says:

It’s news because somebody who bills himself as a "Pundit" is trying to raise the (false) alarm that Nintendo is trying to brainwash our kids into converting to Islam. Just like that Baby Game on the DS..

So, to break it down: Its political, its about video games, and its related to a previous story on GP..

If that doesn’t convince you, then you must remember the final, and most important rule.

GP runs the Site, GP controls the Content.. End of story.

DarkSaber says:

"you know religious persecution was something that many people came to America to escape. "

I was always of the impression most of the original settlers were religious nutjobs that had been packed up and shipped over because they were TOO extreme for their home countries, and were annoying a lot of people by trying to enforce their extreme beliefs on everyone else.

My how the times change.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Erik says:

"Not even 8 years after 9-11 and are we going to accept this phrase in a video game Rated E for Everyone."

You bet your ass we fucking are meatlump.  I’m not sure if you are aware of what country you are living in there skinwaste, but you know religious persecution was something that many people came to America to escape.  Slack-jawed window lickers like this fellow here I think would really be happier off in a country where you are told what faith you can or can’t follow.

Why is it that often the people who claim to be the most patrotic are so often the same ones who dislike the freedoms this country was founded on?

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

Mad_Scientist says:

Probably just the guy hearing what he expects/wants to hear, but even if not, so what?

What’s wrong with having Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Hindu, etc, characters in video games? According to wikipedia, the phrase is used "during battles, and even times of extreme stress or euphoria," so it would make perfect sense for it to be used during the matches. Simply having a Muslim character in a game isn’t some insidious piece of anti-Americian terrorist propaganda or whatever he thinks it is.

Sai says:

Cause I’m sure there are no Christians in the world who shout praises to tha lawd as they pipe bomb family planning clinics or anything. Clearly we must ban all mentions of the Abrahamic god as potential utterances terrorism.

And he’s probably hearing things anyway.

vellocet says:

No offence because I love this site. But why is GP covering random idiot nut jobs on youtube?

Does what this guy have to say make any difference at all in the world at large or games industry?

I mean the guy isn’t even threatening to sue anyone.  He’s obviously an idiot.  Why is this news?

ZippyDSMlee says:

SO if you use a charatcer of race or gender you can’t use cultural idoitisms/idioms  ?

I am a criminal because I purchase media,I am a criminal because I use media, I am a criminal because I chose to own media..We shall remain criminals until Corporate stay’s outside our bedrooms..

USMC Colonel James Slate says:

Moron, seriously, just… ugh

Why do I even bother with the "Allah, means god, we like god, we’re all looking at about the same thing here people…"

-Idiots, the lot of them – SSGT -Yeah, but they’re our idiots – ME On the topic of congress

V4nI114 Ic3 says:

i think the more important question here is, even if he *is* saying it, what the cunt does it matter?

christians and catholics can run around saying god this, god that, god hates fags no gay marriage, kill abortion doctors, etc…  but the second someone who is non-white america says anything in praise of their deity of choice, it becomes controversial in our society where people are, supposedly, "free of religious persecution"?

sometimes i wonder why the united states even still has a constitution.

Matthew says:

A character who may (or may not) be a Muslim says something which may (or may not) sound like something a Muslim may (or may not) say before he may (or may not) kill innocent Christians in an act of terrorism. This guy fell out of the offended tree and hit every self-righteous branch on the way down. Then beat it with his face until it fell over.

I was playing Team Fortress 2 last night, and I swear that some of the character quotes were, in English, telling me they were going to kill me. That’s just the sort of thing someone might say before they killed me! Somebody should do something about that.

DarkSaber says:

You mean like Generic Villager #7? I hate that dick.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

DarkSaber says:

3 pieces of evidence suggest he has been royally made to look a fool.

1. Ratings are now disabled.

2. Comments have now been disabled.

3. His last reply to a comment pointing out how wrong he is was "I don’t care much about it,anymore. But that ‘Islam is the light’ doll is pretty freaky, you have to admit that."

Call it what it is, self-important conservative dickhead who tried to grab some publicity but hasn’t got the balls to stand firm in the face of criticism, and rather than admit being wrong after being proven wrong just says "I don’t care."

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Dragoon1376 says:

Then here’s something that will blow your mind: a fictional zombie outbreak in Africa will lead to predominately black zombies.  Shocking, I know.

But I agree, why the hell is this even being mentioned since it doesn’t strike me as being all that important or even worthwhile.  It sounds like someone needs a tinfoil hat.

Though I have to admit that the moron that shot up that Army recruiting center a couple of days ago is not doing the Muslim faith any favors.  Unfortunately, perspective is reality for many people and this will be reinforced if it is not publicly condemned.

First secure an independent income, then practice virtue. -Greek Proverb

nightwng2000 says:

There’s a reply in comments in the link you posted that offers anoter translation to the phrases (not sure if it’s real or not since I don’t know the language).

Also, a search for RevolutionOfCG on YouTube produces some interesting other videos as well as a number of counter videos to his various other comments.

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 has also updated his MySpace page: Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as

Conster says:

What the others before me said. I listened to the video, and he says something like "A-ragh" or "Al-la" when striking, and something "Aghbeh" when he misses. Sounds like random grunts to me.

Also, "God is Great" is a general phrase. What, are you going to forbid the phrase "He loves you" next, because the Skrulls said it during their secret invasion?

Lou says:

Uh If memory doesn’t fail me Bald Bull is from Istanbul Turkey and their official language is Turkish, they don’t speak arabic. I wonder if this turd has ever used more than three brain cells? I might also add that most of the are Sunnis but they are not extremists.

DarkSaber says:

Nobody better point out that Muhammad Ali changed his name to that of Islams main prophet.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Kojiro says:

Over 5 minutes for a 3 second sound clip?  This guy likes to hear himself talk.

And I don’t think he’s saying akbar.  There is clearly no "r" pronounced.

JDKJ says:

I understand that the 9/11 attackers frequently consumed hummus, tabuleh, and pita bread. If you love the United States and respect the lives sacrificed on 9/11, you won’t eat these foreign, un-American, terrorist foods.

"Don’t Tread on Me." — slogan on the Gansden flag

Valdearg says:

I certainly didn’t realize that a Video Game Character who comes from a Predominantly muslim country could POSSIBLY EVER say a phrase that is as common in the Muslim World as "God Bless" is in America.

Really, these fearmongering morons should spend thier time focused on things other than trying to convince us that every Muslim ever is evil, and that any muslim phrases are CLEARLY terrorism in action.

Andrew Eisen says:

"That’s, of course, assuming that Bald Bull actually says Allah Akbar, which is unconfirmed at this point."

I’ve played and beat the game.  I don’t hear it.  Check out the 30 second mark of this Youtube video.  Bald Bull says something like "Allah" or "Allahn" when he punches.  When he misses he occasionally utters something that sounds similar to "Akbar" or "Akmahn" but the two words seem unrelated.

Andrew Eisen

quantum_mechanik says:

Check out the same poster’s comments on that. "I know he wasn’t a Christian, because I know that’s not what Christianity is.."

MaskedPixelante says:

OK, no more censorship because someone might be offended. I recommend we drop copies of Hanuman all over India, and uncensored, bomb versions of Fallout 3 over Japan.

—You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

saregos says:

Even in the case that he *does* utter that phrase (personally, I don’t really hear it there), as has been stated before, it’s a phrase with multiple meanings and uses.  If, for whatever reason, you find that offensive…

Oh look, you get to beat the shit out of him.  Have fun being a prejudiced bigot.

— Sometimes the truth is arrived at by adding all the little lies together and deducting them from the totality of what is known

Amillennialist says:

For those claiming that Qur’an is against violence or that anyone who expresses concern about Islam is "bigoted" or a "moron," you ought to do a little of your own research.

Is it not "bigoted" to judge without knowledge?  Is it not "moronic" to attack those telling the truth in defense of Life and Liberty?

The following is available to any Infidel with an ISP:

"the Messenger of Allah . . . would say: ‘Fight in the name of Allah and in the way of Allah. Fight against those who disbelieve in Allah. Make a holy war. . . . When you meet your enemies who are polytheists, invite them to three courses of action. . . . Invite them to (accept) Islam; if they respond to you, accept it from them and desist from fighting against them. . . . If they refuse to accept Islam, demand from them the Jizya. If they agree to pay, accept it from them and hold off your hands. If they refuse to pay the tax, seek Allah’s help and fight them . . .’" (Muslim Book 19, Number 4294).

"fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war) . . . " (Qur’an 9:5).

"Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued" (Qur’an 9:29).

"Allah’s Apostle said: ‘I have been ordered (by Allah) to fight against the people until they testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and that Muhammad is Allah’s Apostle . . . ‘" (Bukhari Volume 1, Book 2, Number 24).

"It is not for any prophet to have captives until he hath made slaughter in the land. Ye desire the lure of this world and Allah desireth (for you) the Hereafter, and Allah is Mighty, Wise" (Qur’an 8:67).

"Allah’s Apostle said, ‘I have been made victorious with terror. The treasures of the world were brought to me and put in my hand’" (Bukhari Volume 4, Book 52, Number 220).

Unfortunately, there is much more just like that from Qur’an, the ahadith collections considered traditionally most reliable by Muslims, and sira.

Da_ALC says:

This isnt news, this is some douche!

Come on GP, by promoting this as news your promoting idiots like this as being right. He does not deserve any publicity.

Waffles says:

Don’t know if this was mentioned, but the phrase in question roughly means…

"TAKE THIS!" or anything to that caliber.

You’d have to be a retard to think he’s saying "Allah Akba– *watches video*

Nocturne says:

"I report, you decide!"

I love that phrase, as soon as you hear it you know what follows is going to be completely unfounded and biased and will be trying to persuade you to their viewpoint…. I was not dissapointed, A-grade stupidity all the way.

nighstalker160 says:

So let me get this straight…

Let’s assume for a second that this guy is right and Bald Bull is a member of a sleeper cell shouting "Allah Ackbar"

Ok, with me so far?

Then how could a game in which the entire point is for you to BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF HIM be a bad thing?

If this guy is right, then he’s bitching about a game in which the entire point is beat the living crap out of a terrorist.

You’d think he’d be all for that.

"Allah Ackbar!"

* gut punch *

*Left hook*

*upper cut*

Sounds like a conservative psychos dream.

ecco6t9 says:

God is great, does it really matter which god it is?

Religious fanatics(Christinas,Muslims,Jewish,ect) need to wake up and realise that other people believe in other gods!

gamadaya says:

"I report, you decide!"

Took him only 10 seconds to prove that he was an enormous moron.

I do have to agree with him on one point though. Took Nintendo long enough to make a 3rd punch out.

Believe in something! Even if it’s wrong, believe in it! -Glenn Beck

Saxy says:

people like this really make me wonder about what "conservative" means…

I consider myself conservative, which means I strictly follow the constitution. How can this guy call himself a conservative if he’s trying to oppress free speech of others?

Talk about oxymoronic…

PaperHatMan says:

"What do the families of these heinous crimes think of this?"

I really think the families appreciate you showing a video from 9/11 with audio.

Leet Gamer Jargon says:

………..Jesus H. Mothafuckin’ Christ. That tears it: conservatives have way more fucknut crazies than any other group, ever.

If anyone thinks there is another group with more fucknut crazies than these guys, please, please tell me. Because I really can’t think of any other group–Wait…PETA?…..

Nah, close, but no cigar. Conservatives still numero uno in this category.

Game on, brothers and sisters.

jedidethfreak says:

I’m politically conservative, but this guy’s a complete jackass.  Who cares if this guy says Praise God?  For the uninitiated, that’s the literal translation of Allah Ackbar.  Is Punch-Out fun?  Hell yeah.  I don’t think anyone is going to be converted to radical islam because of this guy.

Zerodash says:

It’s the only one that happened on live TV and with the kind of imagery that rivals comic books or movies in their "presentation".

KayleL says:

I know 9/11 is a very horrible event. However, worse things has happened since then, but that doesn’t stop cultural insensitivity. Why people act like 9/11 is the only terrorist attack that ever happened.

l4wd0g says:

I doubt that anyone on this forum has enough experience to accurately understand Islam and the effects on the West. The question that you should be asking is what does this tell us? Better yet why comment on something you don’t understand?
    Murdats says:

He also obviously doesn’t understand what audio paradolia is.

and that what you hear is incredibly heavily influenced by what you think or are told to think you hear

but mostly he is just a ignorant, bigoted moron

DeusPayne says:

Ignoring the fact that it doesn’t sound like that phrase, what’s wrong with saying… nah… I’ll just ignore it entirely. But I’m commenting… so I’m not ignoring. DAMN YOU! I’M APPALLED!

JustChris says:

Those terrorists are only Muslim in their "allegedness". They never do as they say. Isn’t that so hard for people to realize?

Leave competition out of religion is my philosophy.

ZenAndNow says:

I’ve always wondered how that works though. Why do people say they must emulate the Prophet, yet say that violence is discouraged? Dude waxed philosophical to be sure, but he also went on a brutal rampaging conquest of the region and gave people the choice of death or conversion. Mohammed "Conquered Medena by the Word and Mecca by the Sword" and all that after all.

Not sure how the "discourage violence" bit fits with that.

That doesn’t make these Christian nutbags, or any other religious fanatic correct when they make these assertations, but saying the Koran discourages violence is a fair bit of a stretch given most of the religious punishments within its pages are horribly horribly violent. It’s a bit like the Old Testament/Talmud(or is that Torah?) in that respect.

Valdearg says:

REAL muslims don’t blow shit up either. Violence is actually discouraged in the Quaran. The reality of it is that we are making a big deal about this, even though Christians happen to perform terrorist acts as well.

The Knoxville Shooting and The Abortion Murder were both acts that intended to inspire terror amongst the people who happen to disagree with them. Terrorist acts. Yet, we don’t see anyone freaking out when a Christian Character in a game says "God Bless" or something similar, when, in many cases, Christians have murdered or blown something up in the name of God, as well. There is a double standard here, and by freaking out at anything Muslim, we are just making fools of ourselves.

JustChris says:

Oh well. Even if it did mean to say that, Punch-Out characters are still filled with stereotypes (not saying it is bad in this case). Did Great Tiger make it to the Wii version by any chance?

olstar18 says:

You know it doesn’t quite sound like he is saying akbar. Is there any chance he is saying something else and he is just hearing what he wants to hear.

Leet Gamer Jargon says:

It’s a trap!

Game on, brothers and sisters.

ShadowDragon28 says:

You know I could make up crap as to what the character is saying too. Maybe he’s a Star Wars fan and is saying "Admiral Akbar."

chipsugar says:

I could *almost* accept this guys point if it wasn’t for the fact that the character is nearer "saying" Alle Achbeh. It’s clearly not intended to be Allah ackbar. If it was though I’d say that putting it in the middle of a game with cartoonish violence is only slightly inappropriate.

Wow. We got ourselves a bright sunnovabitch right myah!

Oh and ISLAM IS THE LIGHT! Now I’m part of the crazy ass conspiracy! Oh noes! Everybody be out to git yah!

hellfire7885 says:

Ugh, this is the same as those idiots who said they saw soem clouds spelling out "sex" in The Lion King or that a priest was getting an erection in The Little Mermaid.

People who see/hear these things were filthy minded to begin with.

And disabling comments and ratings on the video. Oh, sorry we scratched your rose colored glasses you thin skinned douchebag.

kurbster says:

anti-government flag on wall…..check
    looks like a redneck…..check
    first 2 minute devoted to promoting his ego and a kiddy company…..check

I think we have a christian conservative here 😀

Arcanagos says:

Lol… he disabled ratings on his video now…. typical bigot who doesnt want to admit hes wrong

"Go ahead and hate your neighbor, go ahead and cheat a friend. Do it in the name of Heaven, Jack Thompson’ll justify it in the end." – nightwng2000

Tony says:

All terrorists were breathing oxygen before blowing themselves up.  Therefore oxygen is a terrorist weapon.  I suggest RevolutionOfCG gets themselves as far away from possible from this substance before it corrupts them.  Deep space should do it.

chadachada321 says:

Meh, I might not be Shadow, but I’ll beat him to it =D

JDKJ says:

Hey, Shadow D. Darkman. This is actually one of the rare occassions where a picture of a Star Trek character touching hand to face is entirely appropriate as a comment. You should, perhaps, make hay while the sun shines.

quantum_mechanik says:

No. Because remember, REAL Christians don’t COMMIT terrorism. REAL Christians are the ones saying after a guy blows a whole in an abortion doctor in his own church that the guy who fired the gun wasn’t REALLY one of them.

Craig R. says:

So if the character shouted "Praise Jesus" it would be ok? At least until a bunch of Christian terrorists go and blow themselves up saying "Praise Jesus" beforehand, at which point it would be indicative of terrorism in a video game?

Zerodash says:

If the 9-11 terrorists had said "spaghetti" before crashing the planes, would this guy suggest we abstain from using that word?

c0nn3ry says:

I for one am appalled.

Our grandfathers and great grandfathers fought in WWII and were often faced with suicide charges by Japanese soldiers, during which their battle cry would include the word Banzai.

Now that word represents an 80’s cult movie, a Japanese game show spoof, a character in the Disney movie "The Lion King", and a deal-maker on Zazzle.

Appalled I say, that words can have multiple meanings, that language can be used to signify different things, and that the world can be so utterly confusing.

I need to take a nap.

— Moderation in all things, including moderation.