Guantanamo Game Project Halted in Wake of Controversy

The sudden announcement was made earlier today by Scottish firm T-Enterprise and comes following a day of backlash in the wake of media reports about the alleged terrorist background of Moazzam Begg (left), a key consultant to the project.

In a statement released earlier today, T-Eterprise director Zarrar Chishti blamed press coverage  by U.S. media:

Unfortunately, much of the speculation regarding the game itself made by various publications and websites has been inaccurate and ill informed… [The game] was never designed to be “propaganda” or “a recruiting tool for terrorism”. Neither was it designed to glamorise terrorism as has been reported.

First and foremost, the main character was NOT Moazzam Begg… T-Enterprise is against all forms of terrorism… Furthermore, Guantanamo was to be a mercenary run institution and so there would have been NO American military personnel killed within the game…

I would now like to refute all suggestions that the game was in any way linked to Al Qaeda. T-Enterprise has never had and would never have a link to Al Qaeda in any way, shape or form… The game was simply designed to be an action video game that adults could enjoy.

However, as a direct result of the extreme reaction that the game and its popular misconceptions have provoked, T-Enterprise has decided to pull out of the project and will not be completing Rendition: Guantanamo.

Damaging press coverage included a blog post by Tom Joscelyn of the conservative Weekly Standard which indicated that Moazzam Begg had strong ties to Al Qaeda and the Taliban. The publication referred to Rendition: Guantanamo as "Al Qaeda’s Xbox Fantasy Game."

Conservative pundit Rush Limbaugh also attacked Rendition: Guantanamo yesterday on his radio program, calling the game "disgusting." Noting that Rendition: Guantanamo was being developed for the Xbox 360, Limbaugh linked Microsoft to the project:

This is something that Bill and Melinda Gates — they have their Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and so forth — they should be made aware and held accountable if this is something they allow to go forward.  Military families all over the country are just going to be outraged by this.  They have risked their lives to capture these terrorists, and the game dishonors the sacrifice that they’ve made for our country.

The game is obviously political…  it’s a game played from the standpoint of a detainee and how unfair he’s treated and how hopeless his life is and all is lost unless he can escape.  There’s already a firestorm of conversation about this that’s percolating out there now.

Arcanagos says:

They caved, they caved, they caved… DAMMIT

"Go ahead and hate your neighbor, go ahead and cheat a friend. Do it in the name of Heaven, Jack Thompson’ll justify it in the end." – nightwng2000

Conster says:

How is this a "surprising" turn of events? Just yesterday, I thought "I’ll just wait until the game comes out before I judge i- and that’s probably never going to happen."

steelbox says:

This is just non-sense, should the families of the people killed in the WWII protest and ban all the WW games there? Would we stop the development of games wher us troops kill afganistaian man, just because they families asked so? Should we make a game where US soldier torture detenee in prision. Would that be acceptable? Non-disgusting? Lets make a game where german soldiers kill american, would that be non-acceptable? Disgusting?

Da_ALC says:

Good! Im happy its cancelled, we dont need games like this, its just propaganda, I dont want games to fall into propaganda.

Leave that to the crappy papers and television, keep games about innovative ideas and fun.

Mattsworkname says:

Im with you guys. I’d love to see some more controversial games come out that deal with real events. The problem is, I wanna see them dealt with in a fair and just fashion,  and I doubt that makes for compelling game play or story.

Yukimura is still here. "Well done Yukimura. You are japans greatest hero. Now, the chaos ends." Spoken by Tokugawa Ieyasu to Yukimura sanada just moments before Yukimuras death in Samurai warriors 1.

thefremen says:

I find it hard to believe when he’s un-ironically attacking "liberal sensationalist media" for their sensationalism while failing to see that conservative sensationalist media is making mountains out of the same molehills.

Ratros says:

*chuckle*  It’s called over emphasizing to make a point.  I’m sure he didn’t mean it quite that way, but the sad thing is that there are people out there who don’t understand this.  It’s done quite a lot actually.

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

Austin_Lewis says:

My gunshop is run by 2 old guys who fight tooth and nail to provide ammunition for its customers.  I walk in one week, order something, and pick it up next week at latest.

Austin_Lewis says:

Yes, Charlie Daniels wrote a tale about the devil goin down to georgia

he was looking for a soul to steal.

I still contend that song was a joke about the devil losing out on the soul of a blues man.  Its a oft repeated southern tale that all the blues greats sold their souls to the devil.  It’s also shown in O brother where art thou and Metalocalypse.

Valdearg says:

Charlie Daniels is the "Devil Went Down to Georgia" guy, right? If so, I would agree 100%. Just because I’m a liberal doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate good music.. (Don’t take this as an endorsement of country music, though.. I hate 99% of that)

Valdearg says:

"It is time for Game Developers such as RockStar try to make a game about Sensationalist news media and make a mokery out of these people. I see it as a good game idea that will be bound to have some reaction and not in a way that the news media would like."

Is this the Paragraph you are referencing? Because, if so, you misread. He is saying that a game about the "Sensationalist news media" would be a good game, and result in a negative reaction towards them.

GG, Try again.

Austin_Lewis says:

I’ve met him six times, and he’s never seemed like a dick to me.  Also, Charlie Daniels will be there, and I love that guy.  He’s a badass fiddle player.

Valdearg says:

Hah, going to the Freedom Concert, huh? I do have to admit, even though Hannity’s information is flawed, his opinion is wrong, and the way he approaches communicating over the air waves is just plain propagandist, I do hear he is a very likable guy in person. And thats coming from someone who absolutely HATES what he stands for, and how he goes about trying to get it.

JDKJ says:

Libertarian Militia? Is that what they call themselves? That’s kinda jacked-up. Good names for a militia group should have the words "People’s" and "Defense" in them.

thefremen says:

Yes. People who report on things are worse than people who think baby f*** is awwwwwwwright, we should deffinately engage in conversation with this individual because his views are valid and his points reasonable.

illspirit says:

Were the article about anyone other than Rush Limbaugh (and the Weekly Standard writer), you might have a point. Granted, I don’t have the newest decoder ring since the VRWC won’t let me join the club, but I’m still pretty sure Limbaugh isn’t some coded dog whistle or whatever for "zomglibrul!1" Either way, dude said the game sounded like a good idea, and the media reaction was sensationalist. Do you not think Limbaugh’s reaction was overblown? Or did you just hear what you wanted to hear and ignore his actual opinion?

As for being outnumbered, no surprise there. Being that I disagree with the "right" about as often as the "left," being in a tiny minority for me is par for the course.

Austin_Lewis says:

Wasn’t Glenn Beck on the list I mentioned of groups that suck?  As for Hannity, I can’t hate on that guy; he’s the reason I’ll get to see Charlie Daniels again this year.

As for newsmedia, I don’t think its just Fox News that’s scapegoating and misinforming.  Like I said, there’s a LOT of it on CBS and NBC.  A whole fucking lot.  And like I said, 60 minutes and 20/20 seem to have been designed solely for the purpose of scaring people and lying.  Take their last few shows for example, especially the episodes on Concealed Carry in Schools.  Most of the information was made up, unverified, or taken from an ‘experiment’ that was rigged to hell.

I’m not going to deny that Fox News does it’s fair share of scapegoating too, but there’s a lot of it out there on nearly every channel (except for the local Fox affiliate, which I always find to be the best channel).

vellocet says:

And so the fundies, pundits and other "extremists" found a new rallying cry… in addition to "think of the children".

Too bad this one seems to be working…

illspirit says:

Wait, your fun shop has ammo? That’s news in and of itself!

But, yea, that they even tried to disguise the Marines as mercenaries sounds like they knew it would be controversial, and hoped the change would give them enough plausible deniability to weasel-word their way out of criticism while drawing more attention. And it looks like their plan backfired.

They’d have probably been better off not using mercs to begin with and just made what they meant. At the very least, they wouldn’t look so damn silly canceling something they tried to pretend wasn’t controversial.

Valdearg says:

First of all, "Newsmedia" means "Liberal News Media" when coming from a conservative’s mouth. Just because he didn’t exactly say Liberal News Media, doesn’t mean thats what he meant. Not to mention I’ve had "discussions" with him before, and he is clearly a conservative, just like I know Austin_Lewis is a conservative. (Though, even though I give him an extremely hard time, I actually like Austin_Lewis) It doesn’t take a genius to infer this information.

Also, GP hasn’t become a left-wing hate rally. Just because I am particularly voracious in my opinions, doesn’t mean GP is. However, you will probably find yourself outnumbered by Left leaning individuals here, just as righties are finding themselves more and more outnumbered in real life.

Valdearg says:

Ahh, Austin. Showing up just in time to spew more Limbaugh, Hannity, and Beck talking points around, huh? Well, at the very least, you are more intelligent and fun to spar with than TboneTony up there, he’s been sucking down the wingnut kool-aid for wayyyyyy too long.

In all seriousness, though.. I never said the newsmedia were perfect. In fact, I find myself rolling my eyes relatively frequently when watching the news. They do have a tendancy to over do the "HOLY CRAP WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE" routine. However, I don’t think that the newsmedia is responsible for most of the BS thats going on right now. For the most part, as long as you try to watch it with a level head, you can get a lot of useful information from the news.

If you ask me, the level of Misinformation and Scapegoating comes more from talking heads like BillO, Limbaugh, and Hannity, rather than the actual news sources (Fox news excluded)

gamadaya says:

I can’t believe how stupid this developer is. I thought they were planning on controversy, and would sell the game off of it. But they actually thought that there wouldn’t be backlash from the right-wing, and everything would go smoothly. Wow. That’s so breath-takingly retarded that I actually can’t believe it. Maybe this is just another publicity stunt and the game is still being worked on.

Believe in something! Even if it’s wrong, believe in it! -Glenn Beck

State says:

Why is it that every time a small company abandons plans for a game gamers claim that the next GTA will get banned? It will not.

I’m still unsure about T-Enterprise’s role in this game, because their website claims that they make games for clients (as in someone pays them to make the game), so I’m not sure this whole Guantanamo idea was down to them, rather someone came to them with the idea and paid them to make it. Their statement that they themselves pulled out of the project seems to say that they weren’t behind it and that potentially someone else could develop it.

illspirit says:

And wow. That was the biggest straw man I’ve ever seen. Congratulations. Dude didn’t say a thing about the "lib’ral media" or even liberals in general, yet he’s a "typical right wing moron" for.. what exactly? Attacking Rush Limbaugh, who happens to be the media in question here?

And on that note, when did GP turn into a left-wing hate rally anyway? Seriously, it’s like every time I bother to click the comments link these days (which I do less and less often..), anybody who doesn’t agree (or seems to agree but just words it differently, as above) with certain people is being shouted down as a "right wing moron" or some such.

ZippyDSMlee says:

So nice how the sheep run down anything they don’t like….

I am a criminal because I purchase media,I am a criminal because I use media, I am a criminal because I chose to own media..We shall remain criminals until Corporate stay’s outside our bedrooms..

nightwng2000 says:

Don’t start what you can’t/won’t/don’t intend to finish.

And, to paraphrase Murphy’s Law:

Whatever can be ignorantly said about something WILL be said about something.

Developers, writers, and others need to go into a project with that in mind and be ready in advance to counter it.  Otherwise, they’re just wasting everyone’s time.

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 has also updated his MySpace page: Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as

Leet Gamer Jargon says:

I highly doubt that. They haven’t done it before; they probably won’t do it ever. Good for them, too.

Game on, brothers and sisters.

Leet Gamer Jargon says:

Rush Limbaugh, acting like a retarded gorilla, yet again.

Also, game devs who want to try something potentially controversial: grow some damn balls.

Game on, brothers and sisters.

Ashkihyena says:

Bah, an’t this peachy, sooner or later someones going to bitch about GTA or its many clones enough that Rockstar will actually decide to pull it.

TBoneTony says:

This is what news media are like, they are like (worse than Pedophiles) they tell lies and exploit other people for newsworthy entertainment.

If you are famous, then the news media thinks they have every right to go in and rape you for all the news they can get.

Look at celebrities and how much lies and slander magazines do to them just to make news.

And look at the reality TV people, when real people stop being on TV, news paparatzi are all over them even for just doing simple life type of things.

Basicly, it is like saying to a women that just because they have breasts people think they have the right to squeeze them.

Monte says:

Y’know, i’ve been thinking that the best way to make a game that has such powerful political statements is to take the real world event/place/people/whatever and change ALL names/participants/groups involved and make your game… in this case, make a gitmo game, but change all the names including "Guantanamo" itself… anyone you use for consulting you keep in secret… during production all of Liberal nannies  and the conservative nutjobs will barely notice the game, making no more big a deal about it then they would any other game; all they will see is some game about some prison…

It’s only about a month AFTER release, AFTER all those who actually matter (the gamers) have had a chance to view the game with a completely unbiased point of view do you admit that the game you made was in fact a Gitmo game.

The pundits can cry and scream all they want, but the critics and reviewers have already spoken (as well as the initial sales) and if the game was good it WILL continue to sell well despite the controversy. And since the game is actually complete, people will be able to judge the game for what it ACTUALLY is, instead of what Pundits try to make it out to be.

It’s probably the best way to get out a message while at the same time avoiding controversy, prejudgment, and biased points of view.

Brokenscope says:

"Guantanamo was to be a mercenary run institution and so there would have been NO American military personnel killed within the game"

Changing the names/participants/groups doesn’t cut it. You invoked the name Guantanamo, you need to have the balls to run with it and all the baggage.

Austin_Lewis says:

Bullshit.  Most Newsmedia is crap.  Also, the shows 60 minutes, 20/20, anything with Nancy Grace, Ann Coulter, Glenn Beck, most of O’Reilly, anything Rosie O’donnel is on, most of CBS and NBC’s news, and more are complete bullshit.  I’ve never seen more hackneyed reporting than on 60 minutes and 20/20. two shows that, to me, seem to be designed specifically for scapegoating, misinformation, and whipping the uninformed into a frenzy.

Austin_Lewis says:

You know what’s funniest about this whole thing?  I didn’t even know the game had been cancelled until I went to my gunshop today for ammo.

Congrats GP, you were beaten to the punch by a 60 year old man. Hahaaha.

It doesn’t matter if you’re killing Mercenaries in Gitmo, it’ll seem like you’re killing the people who really run it; the Marines.  And let’s face it, that’s what it was meant to be; a story to get attention by letting you kill servicemen.  I’m sorry, but this whole thing smacks of a failed GTA style publicity stunt, in that they included terrible content to draw attention to the game before completion.

Valdearg says:

Hah, from what I’ve seen of the Screenies, DarkSaber is right..

This is a company that was looking for controversy, not to make a good game. If you want to make a controversial game, by all means, go right ahead. Just make it a good game..

Valdearg says:

Wow. That was just the most inane rambling of complete nonsense that I have ever seen.. Typical Right wing moron, blaming the "Lib’ral neeeewwws medya" for everything that is wrong with the world.

Most "News Media" are pretty responsible in thier reporting. There are outliers (or LIARS, with respect to Fox Noise), but for the most part, they aren’t terrible with respect to how they report the news.

Not to mention, your rant doesn’t have anything to do with this conversation. The ONLY "News Media" reports that I’ve seen about this now cancelled Gitmo game were negative reports on Fox. Should we start complaining about the Conservative news media?

Go back to your Picture of Dick Cheney, hand lotion, and kleenex, in my opinon.

P.S: Pedophiles? Really? So, the people who spend thier time keeping most people up to date with current events from the comfort of thier livingrooms are worse than Baby rapers? You see, this is how I know I am on the right side of the Aisle. People like you are so detached from reality that you STILL think Obama is a Mulsim Terrorist, and that Reagan will rise from the grave to help usher this country back to a time where you Good Ol’ Boys had the upper hand over those nasty "Lib’rals, Blaks, Mexikanos, and the Edumacated Elite"

jedidethfreak says:

Just a question for everyone; What if Mozzam Begg is a terrorist?  Does that make T-Enterprises a liar for saying they have no association with terrorism?

Freedom of speech means the freedom to say ANYTHING, so long as it is the truth. This does not exclude anything that might hurt someone’s feelings.

Brokenscope says:

They did try and change it to make it more acceptable. They weren’t going to convey meaning, they never had the balls to do this project in the first place.

hellfire7885 says:

*in his best Counter-Strike boice* Terrorists win.

Seriously, these tards keep handing them ammo. They keep showing that they are indeed terrified.

DarkSaber says:

I think you’re giving the company too much credit.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

insanejedi says:

There needs to be a 4 party system

Economics   Social

Democrats   Left           right

Republicans  Right         left

Libertarians   Right        right

Populist        Left         Left

Left: More government control

Right: Less

Chaplain99 says:

It was my understanding that Bill Gates was no longer the CEO of Microsoft.  Why bring him into this, since he has less pull in the company now than before?

Also, ONCE AGAIN, THE MEDIA CAUSE THE CENSORSHIP OF FREE EXPRESSION.  Now that the raging activist is out, let’s be frank on this issue: the game probably wouldn’t have done well, anyway.  ^^

"HEY! LISTEN!"

Krono says:

At this point I kinda feel bad for Bill Gates. He hardly works at Microsoft anymore, yet anything remotely controversial that’s associated with Microsoft is instantly his fault/responsiblity.

DarkSaber says:

Cowards. Next company that wants to pull a publicity stunt like this better have the balls, we’re 2 down now.

"This is something that Bill and Melinda Gates — they have their Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and so forth — they should be made aware and held accountable if this is something they allow to go forward."

Gotta love the less than subtle threat that either they suppress this game which says stuff he and other conservachumps don’t like or there will be….trouble.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Valdearg says:

The only ones who truly take him seriously are the ones even stupider than he is.. Unfortunately, that happens to be 75% of the Republican Voting Block..

(The other 25% are the moderate Republicans)

Adrian Lopez says:

"Bill and Melinda Gates … should be made aware and held accountable if this is something they allow to go forward."

Oh Rush. You’re such an idiot, I’m surprised anyone ever takes you seriously.

Bill says:

"In a surprising turn of events, development has ceased on Rendition: Guantanamo, apparently forever."

Really?  After what happened to "Six Days in Fallujah"?

KayleL says:

Why people fear propaganda so much? It’s just words and nothing else. If you are against propaganda from other countries, then you are just shoving your political views into other people’s throats. I find that worse then the propaganda because one only hear one sided propaganda.

thefremen says:

Can you imagine if Rock* was working on this? They’d just laugh it off and 1,000 press releases from conserva-tards later sell a bajillion copies due to contreversy.

MechaTama31 says:

Unbelievable.  at this rate, I wonder if games will ever be able to be taken seriously.  At some point, a stand has to be made against these reactionary assholes who can’t tolerate even the existence of an opinion different to their own.

"The game is obviously political…"  Gee, god forbid we should allow a game to express a political opinion (that we don’t agree with).

Neeneko says:

Not surprising though.

Once misinformation is out there, countering it can be VERY difficult if not impossible.  One of the weird things about refuting misinformation is that the denial actually reinforces the lie in many people’s minds.. so they might have felt that it just was not worth the energy to fight these people.

Alex says:

This is perhaps the strangest announcement I’ve ever seen.

"You’re all horribly, horribly wrong. But we’re canceling the game anyway."

I’m not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I’m not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don’t know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

Moriarty70 says:

Remember everyone, bold and creative projects can only exist as long as you don’t piss off the far right or the far left. The only other solution, work on the game in secret until you’re almost ready to release, you know, like most other games do.