America's Army Gets a Graphic Novel

June 5, 2009 -

America's Army, the first-person shooter freely distributed as a recruiting tool, has been supplemented with a graphic novel.

Written by M. Zachary Sherman and inked by Michael Penick and J. Brown, the work spins the tale of the Army's struggle to save innocents in the fictional Democratic Republic of the Ostregals.

The expansion from games to comic books is likely to rile critics who object to the Army's incursion into pop culture for recruitment purposes.

Via: Blue's News

Comments

Re: America's Army Gets a Graphic Novel

I like manga, so this would be right up my alley. But I wouldn't join the army.

Games aren't evil, but evil people play games.

http://www.vgshuffle.com Games aren't evil, but evil people play games.

Re: America's Army Gets a Graphic Novel

Where the hell are they supposed to be fighting in that comic? A park?

Re: America's Army Gets a Graphic Novel

I would totally read that.

Re: America's Army Gets a Graphic Novel

Don't know how to feel on this. The game is one thing, because it somewhat (SOMEWHAT) depicts an actual army experience. This, on the other hand, feels like it may trivialize the army.

But hey, it's their decision.

Re: America's Army Gets a Graphic Novel

I equate this to McDonalds releasing a graphic novel. It's just one big ad.

--------------------------------------------------------

Believe in something! Even if it's wrong, believe in it! -Glenn Beck

-------------------------------------------------------- Believe in something! Even if it's wrong, believe in it! GET OFF MY PHONE! -Glenn Beck

Re: America's Army Gets a Graphic Novel

I'd prefer a Burger King one.  That way we can put it in the horror novel.

---

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

Re: America's Army Gets a Graphic Novel

Except that army stories can provide for compelling fiction.

If you go crazy then I will still call you Superman.

Re: America's Army Gets a Graphic Novel

You mean Grimace and Mayor McCheese aren't compelling characters?

Re: America's Army Gets a Graphic Novel

Depending on how hungry you are, stories about hamburgers can be very fascinating.

Re: America's Army Gets a Graphic Novel

The army also made a movie for wide release this summer.

Called "GI Joe" or something.

Re: America's Army Gets a Graphic Novel

Yeah, the army totally made that.  Not the company that owns the right to the Gi Joe TV shows and toys.

Re: America's Army Gets a Graphic Novel

He was joking, my friend.  Joking.

...At least, I hope he was joking...

"HEY! LISTEN!"

"HEY! LISTEN!"

Re: America's Army Gets a Graphic Novel

I don't know, he's said the same sort of idiotic things before.

Who's the creative team?

If you go crazy then I will still call you Superman.

OK, too far.

Come on, this is where my tax dollars go? Seriously? I understand the game, but a graphic novel? REALLY?

Steam ID: canadakiller

Re: America's Army Gets a Graphic Novel

It's cheaper than renting a room for 3 months with soldiers standing outside waiting for someone.

Re: America's Army Gets a Graphic Novel

And could be more effective.

---

Re: America's Army Gets a Graphic Novel

I doubt it. Critics are likely to ignore it because it's not a game.

Re: America's Army Gets a Graphic Novel

At least proponents can claim that those who oppose this graphic novel's distribution are "living in the past" when graphic novels were considered to be mind-corrupting agents of evil.  That's gotta count for something, I guess.

"HEY! LISTEN!"