America’s Army Gets a Graphic Novel

America’s Army, the first-person shooter freely distributed as a recruiting tool, has been supplemented with a graphic novel.

Written by M. Zachary Sherman and inked by Michael Penick and J. Brown, the work spins the tale of the Army’s struggle to save innocents in the fictional Democratic Republic of the Ostregals.

The expansion from games to comic books is likely to rile critics who object to the Army’s incursion into pop culture for recruitment purposes.

Via: Blue’s News

19 comments

1. Austin_Lewis says:

Yeah, the army totally made that.  Not the company that owns the right to the Gi Joe TV shows and toys.

2. thefremen says:

The army also made a movie for wide release this summer.

Called "GI Joe" or something.

3. Ratros says:

I’d prefer a Burger King one.  That way we can put it in the horror novel.

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

4. gamadaya says:

I equate this to McDonalds releasing a graphic novel. It’s just one big ad.

——————————————————–

Believe in something! Even if it’s wrong, believe in it! -Glenn Beck

5. Ratros says:

And could be more effective.

6. Chaplain99 says:

He was joking, my friend.  Joking.

…At least, I hope he was joking…

"HEY! LISTEN!"

7. Saxy says:

Don’t know how to feel on this. The game is one thing, because it somewhat (SOMEWHAT) depicts an actual army experience. This, on the other hand, feels like it may trivialize the army.

But hey, it’s their decision.

8. insanejedi says:

It’s cheaper than renting a room for 3 months with soldiers standing outside waiting for someone.

9. michaelleung says:

OK, too far.

Come on, this is where my tax dollars go? Seriously? I understand the game, but a graphic novel? REALLY?

10. Chaplain99 says:

At least proponents can claim that those who oppose this graphic novel’s distribution are "living in the past" when graphic novels were considered to be mind-corrupting agents of evil.  That’s gotta count for something, I guess.

"HEY! LISTEN!"