Obama Advisor To Make Second Life Appearance

Kevin Werbach, who served on the FCC segment of the Obama transition team, remains with the Administration as a part-time advisor on broadband issues.

Over at New World Notes, Wagner James Au reports that Werbach, who is a veteran of the Second Life metaverse, will make an SL appearance later this week:

Werbach will be back in-world this Wednesday at 1pm Pacific to appear on the Metanomics show, for an extremely apropos topic: "The Age of Obama: Virtual Worlds, Open Government, and Policy"…

Kevin tells me he can’t discuss the particular policy advice he gave the Administration about virtual worlds, but I suspect he’ll provide some great insider perspectives on how they’re being shaped.

Werbach and his Second Life avatar appear at left.

achet says:

Wow!!! A politician using actual subject matter experts as advisors rather than political hacks? what a novel idea! All this while McCain’s lackeys look for ways to deny evolution or something.

Kharne says:

You know, I would of found Second Life interesting if it wasn’t for the shops.

I mean, the idea of a gameworld that’s built by it’s players is awesome and all, but when all everyone makes is shops…

Bennett Beeny says:

I’ll be honest too – I never cared about Second Life after a couple of days playing the game.  Its 1990s era graphics and clunky interface make it frustrating for anyone other than those who don’t know what a computer can do, or those masochists who enjoyed 1980s text-based RPGs.

Personally I think the only reason it’s still around is that it is the only MMO that really embraces adult content.  Why anyone in government has the balls (or the lack of brains) to go anywhere near it is a mystery to me – I mean Second Life is either a scandal waiting to happen or an invitation to label a player ‘lame’ – either way, it’s a potential PR nightmare.

gamadaya says:

I’d like to see Obama put together a raiding party from his cabinet.

Believe in something! Even if it’s wrong, believe in it! -Glenn Beck

Arell says:

At this rate, the politicians will outnumber the furries in SL.

But seriously, who are they trying to reach?  If you want to connect with people on the internet, use twitter.  If you’re trying to connect with virtual world players on thier own turf, roll a mage and start ganking some newbs.

Kincyr says:

I’ll be honest too, I have never cared about Second Life even after I started reading about it on GP.

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」