New Peripheral Could Turn Your Wii Into a Lie Detector

Still haven’t figured out who "borrowed" your copy of Twilight Princess?

Soon your Wii may help you narrow down the list of suspects.

Australia’s Herald-Sun reports that the Wii Vitality Sensor announced by Nintendo last week at E3 measures some of the same body responses as the polygraph. In particular, the sensor attaches to a user’s finger to measure pulse and skin conductance. The newspaper reports:

Skin conductance response is a measurement of fluctuations in the electrical conductivity of skin — also known as electrodermal response and galvanic skin response.

These fluctuations in conductivity correlate with changes in emotions, such as experiencing fear, anger and desire. That’s why polygraphs – generally called lie detectors – measure skin conductivity changes along with other bodily responses including pulse and blood pressure.

Nintendo hinted at potential Wii lie detecting fun at E3, the Herald-Sun notes:

Games using the Wii Vitality Sensor have not been announced yet, but Nintendo said the Vitality Sensor would "provide information to the users about the body’s inner world"…

You can imagine games along "truth or dare" lines being developed for fun at home on a Nintendo Wii fitted with a Wii Vitality Sensor. The Wii could use the sensor to assess whether or not the player was telling the truth.

GP: Turning truth detection into a parlor game? I’m not sure whether that’s a positive commentary on the capabilities of the new Wii peripheral or a slam on the reliability of the polygraph.

Aurontsubaki says:

"You were asked if you borrowed Twilight Princess for the Nintendo Wii from a friend, you said no & the lie detector determined, that was a lie more then 10 times."

All the numerous stuff you can do with the evolution of technology these days.

What we got here is failure to communicate!

CEOIII says:

There’s a reason actual lie detector results aren’t admissable in court: They’re WAY too easy to fool.

There are some things they could do with this, though. For example:Anyone remember a game show called "The Chair"? The idea was, you kept your heart rate under a specific level while you answered questions. If it went above, you lost a certain amount of money every second it stayed above. Lose all your money, game over. I could some company throwing something like that on the Wii. As long as they don’t get the actual host to do voiceover work. (John McEnroe. No, I’m not kidding. Apparently Bjorn Borg wanted too much money.)

I’m Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

Vake Xeacons says:

What are we talking about here? People taking games seriously? Haven’t we beaten this one to death a million times? On a daily basis? Should someone blurt out the classic "It’s just a game" argument?

Yes, I know, there are morons out there who WILL take it seriously, but we deal with these people all the time. Relax.

I don’t know about the vitality sensor yet. Obviously, it would have pratical applications in programs like Wii Fit, but beyond that, I’m not sure about all the "get-you-in-the-game" features they bragged about at E3. Although, some lie-detection game would be kinda cool; see if you can control your bodily response. I’ve always wanted to take a few lie-detector tests to see if I could beat it.

1AgainstTheWorld says:

I’m sure they would.  Just look at all the other disclaimers games are saddled with:  The Wii and DS both display the videogame health warning every time you power them on.  Every time you load up a Wii game you get the remote safety screen.  Even the "Trauma Center" games include a disclaimer warning you against attempting any real-life surgical procedures.

Adrian Lopez says:

"Turning truth detection into a parlor game?"

Some would argue "truth detection" has always been a parlor game.

If Nintendo does decide to write a "truth or dare" type of game around this thing, I hope they make it clear the device is not actually an effective means of detecting lies. Not that they’d ever do that , as it would take all the "fun" out of the silly gimmick.

I only worry that taking lie detectors seriously when responding to personal questions, even in the context of a game, could cause real trouble in people’s relationships.

ZippyDSMlee says:

Lie detectors are more failable than people. 0-o

Or abotu as accurate as zippy and spelling >>

I am a criminal because I purchase media,I am a criminal because I use media, I am a criminal because I chose to own media..We shall remain criminals until Corporate stay’s outside our bedrooms..

11zxcvb11 says:

Tyrell: Is this to be an empathy test? Capillary dilation of the so-called blush response? Fluctuation of the pupil. Involuntary dilation of the iris…
    Deckard: We call it Voight-Kampff for short.

Sorry, I could’t resist. :p

Alex says:

It’s a Wii E-meter.

I’m not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I’m not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don’t know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

Wormdundee says:

The problem is, noone really pays attention to any warnings on these games because they’re so ubiquitous now.

I can only imagine that there will be a fair number of people who take this thing’s ‘lie detection’ seriously.