Second Life's Virtual Meth Lab Will Help Train Police

June 10, 2009 -

While Second Life has many uses, law enforcement training has not historically been among them. But that may be changing.

New World Notes reports that consultant Fred Fuchs, who goes by Gus Plisskin in Second Life, designed a virtual meth lab to help cops recognize when they've stumbled upon the real thing. Such labs are not only illegal, they're extremegly dangerous as well.

Said Fuchs/Plisskin of his virtual meth lab project:

We hope to encourage use of SL for training law enforcement and social workers. We found that a walk-thru helped other types of clients think about ways they could use SL... Accuracy in simulations is 'my thing'.

Comments

Re: Second Life's Virtual Meth Lab Will Help Train Police

because it would be way harder to look at a few pictures.... FSL

Re: Second Life's Virtual Meth Lab Will Help Train Police

I'm slightly concerned about the article that was provided that talked about the dangers of meth labs. One of the "signs that you might have a meth lab near you" is "Inhabitants smoking outside due to fumes." At my house we have a no smoking rule, anyone that wants to smoke has to go outside. All I mean is that, if knee-jerk reactions happen, innocent people can have their houses raided by police.

Then again, maybe this SL meth lab will help to prevent that =)

-If an apple a day keeps the doctor away....what happens when a doctor eats an apple?-

-Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis-It is best to endure what you cannot change-

Re: Second Life's Virtual Meth Lab Will Help Train Police

Of course! Those aren't to make you aware of meth lebs, just to install a general 'meth lab paranoia' in you.

Re: Second Life's Virtual Meth Lab Will Help Train Police

Oh good. THIS won't be controversial at ALL. There's no WAY people will see the purpose of this area incorrectly.

---You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

---You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

Re: Second Life's Virtual Meth Lab Will Help Train Police

This reminds me of a bonehead comment I read on Facebook- one guy posted on another guy's wall telling him that cops have busted down a local meth lab and took a lot of stuff. His reaction: "Let's go in and use the drugs that are left!" Let everyone in Facebook know that you're breaking in a used lab to take some meth.

GameSnooper

Poll

Best decade for video games?:

ZippyDSMleePapa Midnight: Care to take a look at this and tell me what you think about it? http://www.amazon.com/Frisby-FS-5010BT-Surround-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B00EYX1N2S/03/26/2015 - 10:27pm
Matthew Wilson@AE I think he means both.03/26/2015 - 9:23pm
Andrew EisenConster - Sure, give me a few minutes.03/26/2015 - 3:05pm
Matthew Wilsonnot shocked, lets see how gencon reacts.03/26/2015 - 11:01am
Andrew EisenAnd for those of you keeping track, Indiana's SB 101 was signed into law this morning by Gov. Pence.03/26/2015 - 10:58am
james_fudgeyeah!03/26/2015 - 9:17am