Obama: Chinese & Indians Kids Play Fewer Video Games, "Coming At Us Hard"

June 12, 2009 -

Returning to a theme that he touched upon often during the 2008 presidential campaign, President Barack Obama told the audience at a town hall meeting in Wisconsin that American kids spend too much time playing video games and watching television.

But Obama added a new wrinkle to yesterday's remarks, linking them to the United States' ability to compete in the global marketplace:

Even with the good schools, we've got to pick up the pace, because the world has gotten competitive. The Chinese, the Indians, they're coming at us and they're coming at us hard, and they're hungry, and they're really buckling down.

And they watch - their kids watch a lot less TV than our kids do, play a lot fewer video games, they're in the classroom a lot longer.

So here's the bottom line. We've got to improve, we've got to step up our game. While the average public school is actually doing a reasonably good job... we are falling behind when it comes to math; our kids are falling behind when it comes to science...

We used to be head and shoulders above other countries when it came to education. We aren't anymore. We're sort of in the middle of the pack now among wealthy, advanced, industrialised countries.

Via: IANS

Comments

Re: Obama: Chinese & Indians Kids Play Fewer Video Games, ...

I don't understand how exactly you made a connection between inattentive teachers and teachers who have sex with their students. Also, wouldn't that make students take more of an interest in school?

james_fudgeshouldn't that be marked as an editorial? There's a lot of opinion in it.11/24/2014 - 12:49pm
WonderkarpI try to direct gamergate away from the same old antagonists. The least talk about Quinn or Wu or Sarkeesian, the more they can talk about the real issues. Its why I've rarely ever mentioned them on my twitter, unless there's like a giant news development11/24/2014 - 12:46pm
Andrew EisenHoly Metamucil, that Blogjob article is STILL propagating the same Grayson/Quinn horse poop!11/24/2014 - 12:30pm
Andrew EisenWell, to be clear, no one manually added your name.11/24/2014 - 12:26pm
Andrew EisenOh, and I know Harper's Twitter handle but that isn't the name on the list you linked to nor was she ever mentioned by name. Hence my subsequent confusion. The name on the list was something like randi_ebooks. But yeah, that's still Harper. Same list.11/24/2014 - 12:25pm
WonderkarpABC reporter admits they chose Harassment angle over coruption when reporting #GamerGate http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2014/11/gamergate-abc-reporter-admits-they-chose-harassment-coverage-over-corruption/11/24/2014 - 12:25pm
Wonderkarpnah. I was miffed, but I got my apology. Now I think its hilarious that htey put me in that. I told my friend and cohost of my lets plays once I move, and she said she's gonna try to make the list XD. I told her "Just follow these people"11/24/2014 - 12:24pm
Andrew EisenHeh, looks like we confirmed it at the same time!11/24/2014 - 12:15pm
Andrew EisenYep, it was a pseudonym. By the by, there's an appeals process to be whitelisted if that's still a concern of yours.11/24/2014 - 12:15pm
WonderkarpI wasnt 100% certain so I confirmed it.11/24/2014 - 12:13pm
Wonderkarpyeah. Randi Harper is @FreeBSDGirl, Its her list.11/24/2014 - 12:09pm
Andrew EisenAre you sure? Because, again, I'm pretty sure it had a different name and author. Was it a pseudonym or something?11/24/2014 - 11:57am
Wonderkarpno, Randi Harper designed the list that IGDA used.11/24/2014 - 11:53am
Andrew EisenI was going to ask yesterday but isn't that a different list than the one IGDA has up a few days ago? Shout box doesn't go back that far but I'm pretty sure the list had a different name and author.11/24/2014 - 11:51am
WonderkarpBlocklist Author Randi Harper accused of Doxxing Someone on the List http://theralphretort.com/time-caught-blocklist-dunce-randi-harper-doxing-someone/11/24/2014 - 10:56am
ZippyDSMleehttp://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=35311/24/2014 - 9:46am
WonderkarpDay 4 of my Amiibos. Still Unopened. Now pegged too a wall. I just love the packaging too much11/24/2014 - 8:12am
PHX Corp@Jessy I actually saw it on gamespot, seems that Nintendo accidently turned Samus into a Badass11/23/2014 - 9:28pm
Jessy HartAnybody else see the Samus Amiibo with 2 arm canons?11/23/2014 - 9:10pm
Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm