Tivo Alert: Fox’s Mental Series Tackles Gaming… Uh-oh.

When  televised cop and medical dramas tackle video game themes, there’s usually a large dollop of sensationalism attached.

That being the case, we’ll be cautiously Tivoing Fox’s June 16th episode of Mental. A preview describes the episode:

An 8-year-old bipolar boy whose life is consumed by a video game he plays in his head is admitted to Wharton Memorial for an accident involving a knife. When it turns out the accident was really a suicide attempt, Jack must try to get inside the little boy’s head to find out what is triggering his life-threatening rages. But when the boy bolts from the psych ward, Jack must try to save him by engaging him in his own mind game.

Here’s a preview clip

Wormdundee says:

I’m impressed with the sanity present in these comments so far. Not too many people going crazy rage on the show (I’m watching you Kincyr). From what I hear it’s not a very good show, could be funny though.

What are the bets that there will be some crazy ass parents who take this seriously and burn all their child’s games and then are hospitalized for accidentally inhaling the fumes?

TBoneTony says:

I have my own imaginary Videogames, but I don’t really tell people about them.

I play my imaginary videogames when I am also playing my REAL Videogames.

The secret is that I play a game, then I ‘IMAGINE’ what is really happening behind those scenes.

Mysticgamer says:

Oh great, this going to be like the law and order episode where the crooks some how hid an excel speadsheet on a Prince of Persia disc that could only be accessed by beating the 10th level.

Wolvenmoon says:

It sounds less like a shot at violent video games, and more like a tribute to the one 70s or 80s hospital show that’s ending showed it occured only in a boy with autism’s head.

The addition of ‘video’ as an adjective to ‘games’ sounds like a mistake on the preview author’s part. Of course, I don’t watch the show so I’m only guessing. Most of the major network’s primary channel’s programming is just boring as watching paint dry. Big bang theory’s gotten there too. I mean, what do they expect? "YAYFEARMONGERINGLOL, YAYINNUENDOLOL, YAYREALITYSHOWLOL".

Down with TV, up with the Internet.

DarkSaber says:

Seen Season 1 and you’ve seen Seasons 2-6.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

JustChris says:

Mental looks like it will last two seasons at most. It’s Fox’s inconsistency with their prime-time shows that led me to miss most of 24. Remember this was about the time when Firefly and Futurama were yanked from their lineup.

When 24 first came out I thought "Cool….another Fox series I can get into. Nah, better not to watch it and spare myself the disappointment because Fox cancels all good action shows now." 6 seasons later….DAMMIT!

KayleL says:

You guys realize that Mental is a fictional show. They take various illnesses and exaggerates them to make a show out of it. It’s a very odd show and nothing to take seriously.

FlakAttack says:

Yeah, I bet if they said he thinks he’s living in a fantasy world, has a sort of HUD, or gets "goals" or "objectives" in his head, it would be far more acceptable than saying he’s living a video game… even though that’s pretty much what a video game usually is.

MrKlorox says:

Did you watch the clip? The kid isn’t playing it with his eyes closed. He’s clearly imagining a screen present.

Also, Fox Entertainment has almost nothing to do with Fox News division. Entirely different people.

Kincyr says:

the dumbasses at FOX don’t understand that if it’s not on a video screen it’s not a videogame. Then again, I shouldn’t be surprised, seeing how it’s FOX.

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

MrKlorox says:

I always wanted South Park to do a Thompson parody, but nobody except basically "us" know who he is. Until he gets more world renowned we’re left with OUR imaginations.

You hear that, Jacky? You have to step your game up if you want to be prime time parody material.

Rodrigo Ybáñez García says:

If should be more fun if they include some reference of certain disbarred-crazy-lawyer. That would be better.

The other Jack: Who, Jack, who want to kill you.

Jack: Videogames– videogames–  videogames– games –games (start singing Fantasy Vs. Reality clip)

The other Jack: You know, the hell with this. Even me can´t face this level of bullcrap.

The cynical side of videogames (spanish only): http://thelostlevel.blogspot.com/ My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com/

MrKlorox says:

Exactly. Even the most serious anime are supposed to be taken with a grain of salt. Japanese and Otaku know this. However folks that watch ‘serious’ American prime time medical dramas are a bit of a different breed. The word hypochondriac comes to mind.

Sai says:

So what, it’s an imaginary video game, in his mind? Could his parents not afford any real ones?

Either way it sounds more like the plots to a few anime than it does a plausible idea for a medical drama.

Arell says:

Tie-in with FOX and Friends the next day – "Video games turn children insane."

And then Glenn Beck will scream about all the violence depicted in the fictional kid’s, fictional game.

divisionbyzero says:

Mental has about as much to do with real mental illness and treatment as Starsky and Hutch did with police work. Plus, it’s a terrible, terrible show. I wouldn’t bother.

DarkSaber says:

Oooo, an IMAGINARY game? Is that so they don’t have to base what follows on any sort of fact, and also so they won’t be able to get sued?

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.