Xbox Live's Major Nelson Visiting Troops in Baghdad

June 13, 2009 -

Larry Hyrb, aka Major Nelson, is currently in Baghdad.

The Director of Programming for Xbox Live tipped readers to the surprise 10-day trip in a blog post on June 7th:

I am a few hours away from stepping on a plane for the first leg of my journey to Baghdad, Iraq for the Iroq-Band competition taking place next week. I am honored to be asked to support the event, and I am looking forward to meeting many of service men and women that are Xbox LIVE members...

With all of the travel and security involved in this trip, my online time... will be extremely limited... I want to warn you that I’ll be unusually quiet (which I am sure won’t bother some of you) during my radio silence.

Major Nelson arrived in Iraq on Wednesday. Despite the heavy security of a war zone, he has been providing numerous updates via Twitter. Some of his recent tweets give the flavor of the experience:

It takes you back when the staff where we are staying have sidearms and automatic weapons.

Taking a scenic tour of downtown Baghdad aboard a Blackhawk heli.

Apparently I slept through a mortar attack last night. No one was injured.

Seems like Xbox 360 is everywhere on this base. The only thing they don't have is LIVE due to the poor connectivity.

Most popular games on the base? Rock Band, Halo, COD (any of 'em) and all sports games.

The pic at left is from the Major's ride-along with a Blackhawk sortie over Baghdad.

Comments

Re: Xbox Live's Major Nelson Visiting Troops in Baghdad

i like really nice person. film izle regards.

Re: Xbox Live's Major Nelson Visiting Troops in Baghdad

Given the fact that Stephen Colbert was there last week, I think his visit will be somewhat less exciting.

Re: Xbox Live's Major Nelson Visiting Troops in Baghdad

That depends. Not all young men follow his show or even his point of view, whereas almost all young men enjoy music and videogames.

Young women, you're probably shit outta luck.

Re: Xbox Live's Major Nelson Visiting Troops in Baghdad

Lets hope nobody wants to play 'Blackhawk Down'.

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Re: Xbox Live's Major Nelson Visiting Troops in Baghdad

I hope the trip is a blast!

Steam ID: canadakiller

Re: Xbox Live's Major Nelson Visiting Troops in Baghdad

bad taste, if that was supposed to be a joke.

Re: Xbox Live's Major Nelson Visiting Troops in Baghdad

Hmm, now that you mention it...

Steam ID: canadakiller

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

Wonderkarpafter deep thought, I can live in a world with 2 Ghostbusters Franchises. Though I highly doubt the new film will top the original(And still wish it were a sequal), The new film's cast won me over hardcore.01/30/2015 - 10:43am
PHX Corphttp://www.tssznews.com/2015/01/30/former-sega-of-america-employees-voice-mistreatment-greed-racism/ there is alot of problems with sega but this is new01/30/2015 - 9:33am
ZippyDSMleehttp://www.speedtest.net/my-result/410086446201/29/2015 - 9:12pm