New Charity Lets You Donate Games & Systems to Underprivileged Kids

If you’ve got games that you’re not using anymore, don’t leave them to collect dust on a shelf. Donate them instead.

Pixel Equity, a new not-for-profit matches donated games and systems up with economically disadvantaged kids. From the organization’s website:

Video gaming is a fun and enriching activity, but it remains out of reach for many. Games cost upwards of $50 and consoles cost hundreds, so it’s no surprise that large groups of young people who are interested in playing never get the chance.

No games to send? Pixel Equity will also accept cash donations, no matter how small. That part is kind of sweet because you can actually see how your donation will help reach the amount needed to buy a specific game requested by a child (see pic at left).

There’s also a bit of game-oriented fun built into the donation system:

Since this is an organization about video games, we thought that we would make a game out of giving. Every contribution you make will help you gain levels. Each level corresponds to an image of a game archetype, including warriors, clerics, mages, and more, that you will be able to post on your facebook profile by using our facebook app (app coming soon!). Show your friends that you’re making a difference!

Via: Kotaku

KaylaKaze says:

So children should continue to suffer because of bad parents, like the single mother I had who refused to get a job because "God told her not to work"?

Wolvenmoon says:

My point is this: Our ‘poor’ are not as ‘poor’ as they once were.

I suppose what I’m saying is this does nothing to help the impovershed. The ‘underpriveleged’ that have the amenities neccasary to play video games generally have the resources to take some community college classes and better their circumstances. The impovershed that do not have the money to buy these basic amenities, do not.

It’s almost like giving caviar to people who can afford crackers, instead of giving crackers to people who can’t afford any food. Come to think of it, I think this project shouldn’t give the consoles directly to end users, but instead to organizations like the YMCA/other recreational centers that encourage self improvement.

Doom90885 says:

They can give this shit all the colors of the friggin rainbow nothing will change. Parents will still claim ignorance and blame everything under the sun except their lack of parenting skills.

For those who are offedned by everything they see and hear….The most effective form of protest is: DON’T WATCH! DON’T LISTEN!

Alyric says:

No, what we are saying is that their basic needs should be attended to first.

Have you ever seen the M.A.S.H. episode, "Death Takes a Holiday"? In it, Charles Winchester donates a box of candy to an orphanage, whose owner turns around and sells it on the black market.

At first Charles is furious, until he’s told just how long the money from that candy will feed the orphans for.

In his own words: "It is sadly inappropriate to give dessert to a child who has no meal."

Your comment – and this charity – demonstrate a lack of comprehension of true poverty. Just to run that donated game, you’ll need steady a place to stay, steady electricity, a television, console, etc. People who are truly in need can’t afford these things.

There are plenty of alternative, cheaper, more accessible means of entertainment. Books, board games, etc.  Neither I nor the previous posters are saying they shouldn’t play video games – only that, perhaps, there are more important things to be helping them with, first.

wrench says:

Wow I can’t believe some of the responses here. I agree poor folks need to have their base needs met first. What I can’t believe is how some of the responses here are basically saying. Poor kids shouldn’t get donated video games primarily based on the fact that,

1. Their poor they need food and clothes.

-Theres tons of organizations out there now doing this.

2. Video games are a luxury item.

-Screw the poor little bastards, mommy and daddy should have had the foresight to see how badly this economy would become. Even knew in advance their job would go away.

Not every poor family is due to substance abuse or laziness. I personally know a guy that has a college degree and currently manages a damned Subway shop because noone in the area is hiring.

Every kid deserves the chance to get to enjoy video games toys and their childhoods. Other wise we wind up with a hell of a lot more Jack Thompsons.

Alyric says:

Just wanted to add that I agree with this.

I thought about posting something to that effect earlier, but decided I was too tired to adequately articulate myself.

You worded it far better than I would have – thank you.

chadachada321 says:

Uh…wow, I actually agree with this. You said it the best way that it could be said, and I think you’re right. Education is a much more important thing (because without it the children won’t ever grow up to do anything with a decent pay) than just gaming. Granted, educational gaming can be a good thing, but doesn’t meet up with some of the other essentials.

nightwng2000 says:

I’m sorry, I don’t agree with this.

When we’re talking about donating to hospitals and community centers and the like, it’s completely understandable.

But donating to families who are, bluntly put, poor items which, technically, are luxury items, this I don’t agree with.  Families need the essentials.  Food, clothing, a place to live, money for high priced utllities, etc.  Now, if we were talking about computers, even bare bones ones, that helped with education, whether educational software or for use with school work, then I’d be more supportive.  I’m not suggesting that those who are poor be deprived of anything that counts as luxury.  Just that the NEEDS should come first.  And entertainment can come in many other forms than in-home, personally owned products.  Perhaps that doesn’t come out exactly right, but I think I came close.

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as

Bennett Beeny says:

Not sure what your point is here.  Are you trying to say the poor shouldn’t really be talked about?  Are you perhaps suggesting a return to Victorian values where poor folks were sent to workhouses so they could be ignored by the more privileged folks?

Wolvenmoon says:

I absolutely agree.

"We have the electricity to power the LCD TV to watch high definition DVD movies, running water, air conditioning, cable, transportation, free emergency medical care, but want video games!"

At least, for kids old enough to get a job I agree. For the 8 year old thats parents are crack heads living off of wellfare, we should be getting them out of the situation and sterilizing the parents (yep, I said it), not giving the parents more stuff to sell.

Of course, there are a LOT of people with both parents working their asses off just barely able to make ends meet that could benefit from this. That’s ‘underpriveleged’, in my opinion. of course no charity has any way to judge the difference, really, so…

Anyway, I agree with your statement for about 30% of the group we’re talking about.

Meohfumado says:

"Underprivileged"….there was a time when you were just privileged…and those who weren’t privileged….just weren’t.

Now we have underprivileged which is just another way to say ‘poor’ I guess…

"You know what I wish? I wish all the scum of the Earth had one throat and I had my hands about it."

Wolvenmoon says:

Glad to see some happy news.

Hopefully these guys enforce a ratings ‘ceiling’, so that we don’t have drama from politicians over this. I can see it now…

Forgive my pessimism. I hope I’m wrong and just gunshy after all the DRM and violence BS.