PEGI or BBFC for U.K. Ratings? We’ll Find Out This Morning

The British Government’s long-awaited decision as to which agency will take control of video game content rating chores in the U.K. should come this morning.

gamesindustry.biz reports that the release of the Digital Britain report by Communications Minister Lord Stephen Carter (left) will follow a statement in the House of Commons. From gi.biz:

The report, which is expected to cover a number of videogames industry issues, including the decision on game ratings, will also cover off a number of high profile issues, such as the UK’s broadband infrastructure and the future of analogue radio.

51 comments

1. Nocturne says:

Erm… no

Try actually looking at how many games have had to have content changes so they could be released due to refusal of classification by the BBFC.

Carmageddon in 1997 and Manhunt 2 in 2008. That”s it, thats the entire list. Howexactly is the BBFC snubbing the games industy?

2. ZippyDSMlee says:

Ya but in the past 5 to 10 gameing has caught up to film and thus snubbed by the BBFC.

I am a criminal because I purchase media,I am a criminal because I use media, I am a criminal because I chose to own media..We shall remain criminals until Corporate stay’s outside our bedrooms..

3. Nocturne says:

5 years? BBFC have been rating games since ’86. It’s PEGI who’s only beena round 5 years

4. ZippyDSMlee says:

Then be replaced after 5 or so years like the BBFC? 😛

But sireously I hope they just slot the god damn content and not block it….

5. DarkSaber says:

PEGI can too, they just haven’t. Yet.

6. ZippyDSMlee says:

Why? the BBFC is bad for the popualce becuse it can not rate stuff.

7. Kincyr says:

lemme guess, the phrase "it’s all Greek to me"?

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

8. DarkSaber says:

That’s roman, not greek.

9. DarkSaber says:

No, the BBFC stole the numbers from the ancient Greeks.

10. beemoh says:

>The Internet Watch Foundation

Hm. I get worried when their name comes up. Horrible, horrible group.

/b

11. BunchaKneejerks says:

Clasification of Video Games

Finally, the Government will adopt a new and strengthened system of classification for boxed video games incorporating the newly enhanced Pan European Game Information system (PEGI).

A consultation was carried out between July and November 2008, which solicited comments about four potential options to amend the current system for classifying video games.

We have selected the Enhanced PEGI system, as it combines the best of a pan- European self regulatory system designed specifically for video games with a strong UK based statutory regulator taking account of the views of the UK public. It will give consumers a single set of clear logos for video games that will apply across most of Europe, providing an international solution for game content regulation. It has the flexibility required to adapt to the challenge of rapidly-evolving technology in the games sector and will be highly effective in the online world.

This system meets all the key criteria set out by Professor Tanya Byron in her report “Safer Children in a Digital World” and will offer improved protection for children including, for the first time, making it illegal to sell games suitable for 12 and older to underage children.

PEGI Online is also part of the range of online safeguards helping parents and children determine what content is appropriate, including BBFC.online and the new system for regulating television on-demand being established to implement the Audiovisual Media Services Directive.

12. BunchaKneejerks says:

"In terms of online content safeguards, again effective and adequately resourced self-regulation and clarification systems are important. For electronic games the Government is adopting the Pan European Game Information System for boxed games and believes the system can adapt well to the online world. But additional action beyond self-regulation is needed against criminal material and to secure online child safety. The Internet Watch Foundation and the ‘notice and take down’ system on Internet sites is widely regarded internationally as a model. But it needs a secure resource base. The Government is challenging the industry to ensure that it has one and will also explore with the IWF and the European Commission the scope for a Pan-European model with commensurate funding."

13. ZippyDSMlee says:

Must have missed them.

14. DarkSaber says:

They were. About 20 minutes before.

15. ZippyDSMlee says:

Ya but they were not there when I posted.

16. DarkSaber says:

I thought it was a no-brainer they would, but nope. There’s quotes of the relevent parts further up the comments.

17. ZippyDSMlee says:

Oh? THought they went with the BBFC?

18. beemoh says:

>I can’t see this ending the debate any time soon.

Same. I think there are going to be a lot of sore MPs that didn’t win this one- but then, we’d probably see the same response if the decision went the other way.

The confusion will subside, though- in the long run we’re looking at less confusion than we have had so far, with the "mixed ratings board for one media form" fiasco, and eventually people will see the sense in having two different boards rating two different media.

/b

19. State says:

A great day for all the PEGI lobbying and underhand tactics. I somehow foresee a number of complaints in the future at the confusion between film and game ratings and there will probably be further investigations into the matter. I can’t see this ending the debate any time soon.

All I know is that I will be buying a lot more 18 rated games in the future due to PEGI’s overreactive ratings that don’t reflect the content well.

20. Nocturne says:

The Pound is recovering quicker than the Euro at the moment as well. Was pretty much on 1to1 about 3 weeks back (so if we were ever going to make a switch that would have been the perfect time).

It’s already back to 84p to the Euro

21. DarkSaber says:

If you think the BBFC is a joke, then why is it a shame they have gone with PEGI?

22. ZippyDSMlee says:

Thought as much a shame really the BBFC is a joke.

23. DarkSaber says:

Wow, way to make me eat my words government!

24. BunchaKneejerks says:

Just been announced on the BBC, PEGI are getting the statutory job of classification of games in the UK. Quite a suprise really, but there you go.

25. beemoh says:

Didn’t say they wouldn’t- I’ve only brought the issue up as "BBFC can ban" isn’t a reasonable negative to bring up against the BBFC. "BBFC have banned" is another matter.

/b

26. DarkSaber says:

If PEGI was doing the ratings, then they would also have the government backing to create a ban.

27. beemoh says:

They’re both able to do it, just one has government backing to create a "ban".

It’s the law that bans a title, not the board.

/b

28. Andrew Eisen says:

Let me rephrase that, "an organization that is setup to rate games should not ever, under any circumstances refuse to classify (or otherwise assign a rating to) a game based solely on its content."

No, Manhunt 2 was not rightly denied a classification.  It doesn’t matter if the game sucks, it should have been rated for its content, not its quality.

"And if it’s not meant to be rated based on content, what IS it meant to be rated on, the cover art?"

No, it’s supposed to be rated on content.  I just put that line in there because a ratings organization should be able to refuse classification for other reasons like the publisher not paying the rating fee.

Andrew Eisen

29. DarkSaber says:

They don’t refuse to rate the game, they reviewed the game and denied it a classification (rightly too, Manhunt 2 was a piece of shit booted out the door to make a quick buck on the back of controversy.)

And if it’s not meant to be rated based on content, what IS it meant to be rated on, the cover art? What other people think it is going to be like but haven’t actually seen?

30. Andrew Eisen says:

I’m pretty sure that’s true but as far as I know, PEGI has never done that.  And shame on it if it has.

I’m not backing PEGI, I’m simply making the point that an organization that is setup to rate games should not ever, under any circumstances refuse to rate a game based solely on its content.

Andrew Eisen

31. DarkSaber says:

They always claim stuff like that.

32. DarkSaber says:

Now where have I seen something like that? Oh yeah, the BBFC ratings that have used the exact colour scheme for years.

33. DarkSaber says:

Seems like a no-brainer that they are gonna with the BBFC given how scared of change parliament always is.

34. Andrew Eisen says:

As long as whatever they go with does not have the option or ability to refuse to classify a game.

Andrew Eisen

35. DarkSaber says:

They both have the ability to do that.

Comments are closed.