Teen Halo 3 Gamer to be Sentenced For Murder of Mom

Daniel Petric, the Ohio teen convicted of killing his mother and severly wounding his father after his parents banned him from playing Halo 3 in 2007, will be sentenced later today, reports local news station Fox 28.

The case bears watching because Judge James Burge, who presided over Petric’s trial and will hand down the sentence, was quite critical of video games in comments delivered from the bench at the time of the verdict. As GamePolitics reported in January, Judge Burge said:

This Court’s opinion is that we don’t know enough about these video games. In this particular case, not so much the violence of the game because I believe in the Halo 3, what it amounts to is a contest to see who can shoot the most aliens who attack.

It’s my firm belief that after a while the same physiological responses occur that occur in the ingestion of some drugs. And I believe that an addiction to these games can do the same thing…

The other dangerous thing about these games, in my opinion, is that when these changes occur, they occur in an environment that is delusional. Because you can shoot these aliens, and they’re there again the next day. You have to shoot them again. And I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea, at the time he hatched this plot, that if he killed his parents, they would be dead forever.

During the trial, Petric’s attorney argued that the teen should be found not guilty by reason of insanity due to what was termed a claimed obsession with Halo 3.

Wormdundee says:

O man, I had forgotten the crazy shit this guy said back then.

WHAT THE FUCK. I think you would be hard pressed to find anybody else who holds this kind of crazy ass opinion. He is seriously equating playing video games to ingesting drugs. This man is not fit to be a judge.

The only thing I can equate this to would be allowing someone who believes in the Hollow Earth theory to be in some position of power.

Beacon80 says:

I read the first paragraph of the quote, and I had a brief glimmer of hope.  Then I read the rest.  It sounds like this judge thinks you can actually get high on video games.

I also love how he’s making decisions based on what he "feels" and "believes" rather than actual facts.

Doom90885 says:

Insanity my ass. This is the problem with youths today. Everytime they do something wrong major or minor, everyone jumps to evey possible conclusion EXCEPT that the piece of shit is just that: a piece of shit who had a tantrum that mommy and daddy took his game away(or refused to let him play it period) and willingly decided to kill them in retaliation. The judge is part of the damn problem thinking that this guy can’t see the difference between fiction and reality. The fact that they’re minors doesn’t mean they were born yesterday. This has got to stop because we are teaching our children a bad lesson in responsibility: just blame everything you do on something else. Kids are picking up that they can get away with quite a bit if they blame just the right scapegoat ie videogames.

For those who are offedned by everything they see and hear….The most effective form of protest is: DON’T WATCH! DON’T LISTEN!

JohnMidnight says:

Don’t know how the insanity plea would of panned out if it got accepted. Who’d take him? What mental institution will accept "Video Game Addicts". It didn’t, and thank god. I can really see all those kids who honestly didn’t touch a game get out of mass murder and the like just saying a VIDEO GAME MADE ME DO IT! and they get out of fifteen to life, to spend five in a institution. (I can see those gang members doing it)

I don’t like the fact he has to baselessly (well it is kinda has a base >.>) that the kid killed because of the game. TBH it could be, and the insanity plea has those valid grounds there. But. He still had to use his brain to do what he did. He knew what he was doing. The validity of a insanity plea is the person had no control. He did. He could of held himself back. I think I could attribute it to the child not learning wants and needs and getting them mixed up. Failing that the kid wanted what he wanted, and got what he wanted. The game. Commited First/Second Degree on one account, and attempted murder on another. I think thats a total of 20+ years?

Genepool blight is what the poor boy is now….

JC says:

Erm, why are they blaming the game? I remember this case, and the kid never got to play the game. He only bought it and it was confiscated and locked into the gun-case. He then claimed to have a surprise for his parents, and shot both then took off with halo3 in the vehicle? <_>

From what I recall, he never really was able to play the game, even though he bought it. It is laughable to make a claim that he never thought his parents would stay dead, he just didn’t think twice about the consequences of his actions (which most teens don’t).

I don’t like the judge’s opinion on the matter, he isn’t fit to be a judge with this very clear conflict of interest being shown.

Arcanagos says:

"Go ahead and hate your neighbor, go ahead and cheat a friend. Do it in the name of Heaven, Jack Thompson’ll justify it in the end." – nightwng2000

JDKJ says:

"If the judge finds not guilty . . . ."

That’s what you’ve got to show for all your degrees from all those prestigious colleges and universities? An apparent lack of English reading and comprehension skills? Betcha that kid from East L.A. who could only manage to graduate from community college can still read and comprehend better than that.

And he didn’t commit "two counts of murder." He committed one count of murder. Did you miss the part which states he killed his mother but only wounded his father? That’s, at best, only attempted murder with respect to the father.

I’d call you a complete moron, but that’d be charitable and I’m not feeling very charitable today. But I will suggest you look into a Sylvan Learning Center. They can help you brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

Austin_Lewis says:

Sure enough.
    To be fair, he committed two counts of murder.  What can he  be sentenced too?  Death (actually, I can’t recall if ohio has the death penalty), life without parole, 20 years, or, if he bought into the insanity bullshit, he could sentence the kid to spend some time in a psych ward.

Andrew Eisen says:

I get the impression that Judge Burge can separate his personal opinion from doing the right thing.  That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if video games somehow factor into the sentencing.  It’ll be interesting.  We’ll have to wait and see.

Andrew Eisen

Conster says:

If the judge decides on the sentence, though, and the judge thinks his obsession with the game warped his sense of reality, it could end up much milder than otherwise. In my opinion, even if the kid was obsessed with the game, saying "mom, dad, close your eyes, I have a surprise", then shooting them both and trying to frame his dad for the crime, is inexcusable.

Austin_Lewis says:

If the judge finds not guilty, then he is an idiot.  I don’t care what his fucking opinion is, he’s a judge, not a statistician or a researcher.  And really, he needs to learn what to and not to put in his rulings, because it doesn’t matter what he feels or thinks, it matters what the facts are.

BearDogg-X says:

The idiot judge already found him guilty back in December. They’re sentencing him today.

Agree with your comment.

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

Austin_Lewis says:

Fairly certain you won’t be catching an uptown train in Ohio.  I mean, sure, Cincinnati had tunnels dug for the subway, but they wasted so much money on union laborers that they couldn’t afford to put in the actual subway.

You’re going to be catching a bus with that 2 dollars.

JDKJ says:

If the expert opinion evidence presented at trial was insufficient to support the Judge upholding an insanity plea, then why isn’t that the end of the matter? While I appreciate the Court taking the time out to share its non-legal, non-binding, personal opinion, I’m left feeling that I’ll still need two bucks if I’m interested in catching an uptown train.

Arcanagos says:

So basically he’s saying: "I dont know anything about video games, but they MUST make people crazy… BECAUSE I SAID SO!!"

…………… I need a "The stupid! It burns!" Picture, STAT!

jedidethfreak says:

I like it.  His Honor blames video games, as does the kids lawyer.  I personally think that his parents didn’t discipline their kid enough, to where he thought they couldn’t take it from him.

Yep I said it.  I blame the dead person.

Freedom of speech means the freedom to say ANYTHING, so long as it is the truth. This does not exclude anything that might hurt someone’s feelings.

Tom says:

It’s the fact that what he says is based on his "beliefs" rather then any actual, factual data.  "It feels like it could be bad, so it’s bad."  Not a good line of reasoning for a judge.