God of War Designer Weighs in on Missing South Carolina Guv

Gov. Mark Sanford went missing recently, apparently of his own accord. And while his South Carolina political colleagues expressed concern over who was minding the state during Sanford’s absence, God of War series designer David Jaffe weighed in with a brief criticism of the Guv’s disappearing act on Twitter.

Jaffe, who lives in California, often seasons his tweets with profanity. He commented on Sanford’s AWOL status yesterday afternoon:

If UR a governor and U just kind of take off for a few days and no one knows where then u prob. should not be the f***ing governor.

Twitter users can follow the outspoken GoW creator at @djaffe on Twitter. As for Sanford, news reports say that he will be back in the office today.

TJLK says:

I was a fan of his policies.  Not really interested in his personal matters but I like how he stood up to the federal government.

I don’t know why Jaffe cares.

Alex says:

Well now that’s all cleared up. Nice to know my state’s governor is having an affair.

I’m not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I’m not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don’t know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

Conster says:

I know that. I also know, however, that Dictionary.com does not have "judgemental" on it, only "judgmental" (it does list "judgement" as an especially British spelling of judgment, but "judgemental" is not a word). He could’ve spelled both "judgmental" and "some" correctly without adding an extra character. And hey, if he’s going to weigh in like that, he shouldn’t whine about some playful criticism.

JDKJ says:

Actually, "judgmental" is an alternative and not improper spelling of "judgemental." Both are correct, but the latter is less commonly used.

And I believe he uses "sum" as an abbreviated form of "some," which, if so, would make the subject-verb agreement correct ("some readers are judgemental" not "some readers is judgemental").

Conster says:

And then there’s this:

@GamePolitics I could not have fit it n 140 cause I had the @Gpolitics chara count to contend with. Sum of ur readers are judgemental prix .

He’s calling us judgmental? (Yes, that is the proper spelling.) *waves* Hi, mister pot! We’re kettles!

Also, a sum is.

Actually he could have written it with properly fully spelt and would have been right at the limit, but really who cares?

Oh and I see he replied, heh.

GamePolitics I was not aware news days could ever be THAT slow. Ah well. Found the comments about my spelling ON TWITTER very amusing :)

Harry Miste says:

Even with that, you can still write the entire message properly and have seven characters left over.

| XBOX LIVE GamerTag: Harry Miste | Steam ID: Harry Miste | PSN ID: HarryMiste |

Thomas P. says:

There are times when spelling your words correctly matter, I don’t think Twitter is one of them.  The point of shorthand is the fact that it takes less time to type out.  If your having a fast conversation, then using shorthand is a better option.  I believe grammer and spelling are important, but its Twitter for heaven’s sake, not a job resume.

Craig R. says:

Well, it’s obvious that Twitter is evil because it discourages literacy, as well as proper spelling and grammar. Unfortunately, Twitter is merely the evolution of such internet-born nonsense.

I can’t wait to see how the English language is butchered when somebody comes up with Twitter 2.0 with it’s *70* character per twit limit!

SimonBob says:

Attitudes like that are what’s lowering literacy rates across North America.  We should be encouraging impressionable youngsters to better themselves while using messaging services.  Notice how I become more agreeable and intelligent when I type like this as compared to someone who might write, "u stopid u dum ur mum is a but."

Teaching Twitter literacy (Twitteracy?) would beat the hell out of Mavis Beacon any day of the week, I think.

The Mammon Philosophy

Krono says:

She said she was not worried, which kinda suggests that this was not a surprise to her, she just didn’t care to let the press and her husband’s critics know everything she new.

Yuuri says:

I saw an article about this yesterday on Yahoo… Not even his wife knew where he was/is. A handful of his staff knew, but they aren’t talking.

Ashla says:

Holy shit, people are actually arguing that the governor has the right to fall off the face of the earth?

This isn’t partisan reporting here folks, this is a governor who is in dereliction of duty. Whether you’re democrat or republican you have to concede that this is an incredibly stupid action to take.

JDKJ says:

"Taking a break" properly means availing yourself of scheduled or planned vacation time or similarly approved interruptions in your scheduled work-time. It does not mean simply walking off the job without telling anyone where you’re going or when you’ll be back. And that you aren’t concerned that a highly-placed elected official would do so speaks volumes about you.

EDIT: In case you’re now confused, allow me to clarify for you that "taking a break" doesn’t mean jetting down to Argentina to play Hide the Salami with a woman other than your wife, either.

Austin_Lewis says:

I didn’t realize that Jaffe was an effective leader.  Maybe he should spend time making the goddamn video game, and less time criticizing someone for taking a break.  Sanford’s been a good governor for South Carolina, always working hard to ensure that the budget is balanced (unlike California, Illinois, and a few other states), and doing his best to cut down on pork spending in hard economic times.  So maybe, just maybe, Jaffe needs to shut up and sit in the corner.  Maybe do something he actually knows how to do.

Krono says:

From the looks of things, he did let his staff know that he’d be going somewhere. I suspect his family and security detail knew more about where he’d be than they were willing to tell the press.

The real problem in this is that he didn’t turn authority over to the Lt. Governor while he was going to be out of touch. Or rather that the SC Constitution doesn’t make clear if this would constitute a tempory abscence, which would more or less automatically turn things over to the Lt. Governor.

Then again, from the sound of things, he’s done this before, and the real problem is that this time the press got wind of it and had a field day. I notice that all the quotes seem to be from either the democratic party, or his chief critic in his own party.

Parallax Abstraction says:

I really wonder what your reaction would be if a Democratic politician did the same thing.  I guess disappearing from the job you were elected and are paid for to do without notice or explanation is OK as long as you’re on the neo-con right?

Parallax Abstraction
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

sirdarkat says:

I don’t see a problem with the gov taking off for a few days everyone needs a chance to get away and I don’t see a problem with him taking off and not telling everyone and their brother where he is frankly he gets vacation days too.