A class action lawsuit has been brought against Square Enix of America alleging unfair business practices, false advertising and unjust enrichment with regard to their long running MMORPG Final Fantasy XI.
In the suit, lead plaintiff Esther Leong of San Francisco claims that Square Enix deceived more than 100,000 customers about the game’s monthly fees, penalties and restrictions. The suit seeks damages of $5 million. The nasty business which Leong charges that Square Enix engaged in includes:
- Licensing of online game software disguised as a sale
- Monthly fees to play the game
- Penalties for late payment of fees
- Interest charges for late payment of fees
- Charges while the user’s acccount is suspended
- Termination of right to play for late payment of fees
- User restrictions and conditions related to the game
- Termination of game data for late payment of fees
DOCUMENT DUMP: Grab a copy of the lawsuit here.
–Doug Buffone, Entertainment Consumers Association intern