Second Life Vigil For Slain Iranian Protesters

June 29, 2009 -

New World Notes reports that a ceremony was held in Second Life last week to honor protesters killed by security forces during the post-election unrest in Iran:

Lasting longer than 90 minutes... about forty people ultimately showed up for the vigil. No one there was reportedly from Iran, but some have family members who are. It wasn't only a time for mourning, but coordinating and growing the nascent "Support Iran" group which organized the event.

What we're seeing here, then, is an immersive offshoot of the informal Internet community that has sprung up in the last couple weeks...

Comments

Re: Second Life Vigil For Slain Iranian Protesters

There have been a few of these events on the game.  I went to one (not this one), but I found that while it was probably better than nothing (it let me pretend I was doing some good), it really lacked the power of a real vigil.  I had the opportunity to attend such a real life vigil in my city, and I found that that was far more meaningful -- the crowed swelled to roughly 3000 people, most of them Iranian immigrants, and apparently more and more non-Iranians (like me!) were showing up at every event that they held.  It was a great opportunity to show Iranians here and in Iran that you don't have to have family there to be horrified by what has been happening, and I think that message can only be effectively sent at a real life event.  Events that happen online, especially on Second Life, are just too small, to private, and too... cold, I think, no matter how much warmth people try to put into them.

Re: Second Life Vigil For Slain Iranian Protesters

If I actually played SL, I'd have probably gone to this event. It's a good thing to see support and caring for citizens lost in a tyrannical government. Sure, it's kind of pointless to do it in SL, but hopefully some real work can be done outside of the internet to help escaping citizens or, in the event of a full-blown revolution, aiding Iranians directly. At the very least, internet support (and mourning) well help to show that there are people that care out there.

-If an apple a day keeps the doctor away....what happens when a doctor eats an apple?-

-Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis-It is best to endure what you cannot change-

Re: Second Life Vigil For Slain Iranian Protesters

This is nice, right up until someone dickbombs the memorial.

WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm
prh99Linux kernel patch breaks Witcher 2. Apparently it was a wrapped Windows version instead of native port. http://m.slashdot.org/story/21270301/24/2015 - 11:12am
prh99I am not a fan of QTEs. Toggle joystick to break away from an enemy is ok...01/24/2015 - 12:26am
Goth_Skunk@WonderKarp: *fistbump*01/24/2015 - 12:00am
ZippyDSMleeIts like they took the fiction from soemthing else and tried to impose it on the Turok IP 0-o01/23/2015 - 10:14pm
ZippyDSMleeuhg I mean they did not need the dumb story and needed more unreal crazy combat.01/23/2015 - 10:13pm
ZippyDSMleestyle gameplay not generic shooter stuff.01/23/2015 - 10:11pm
ZippyDSMleeI loved what they were trying to go with in 3 but it was rather messed up and buggy. Evolution is a typical corridor shooter of the time. The newer Turok is half right they just needed the non-super realistic grim dark story and more crazy Unreal style ga01/23/2015 - 10:11pm
Wonderkarpshe going to do a video on how America Bombed Japan Back To Traditional Values Next? Or one on how Toxic Masculinity in Culture causes Shootings?01/23/2015 - 10:10pm